Menu

What do you think of MCP Phonics?

CatholicMom

I can't compare for you, but we used MCP, and I thought it was way too much busy work and way too much writing for the age it is intended for. We gave it up after 3 months.

:iagree: We felt the same way here. So very much busywork and so much writing! Just seemed like total overkill. It is very bright and colorful and busy but I didn't see much improvement with my kids.

I've never tried ETC but we're using All About Reading for our phonics and that is going well. I'm actually getting ready to try PAL from IEW soon so I'm excited about that.

My 5 year old is working his way through this one. It's black and white, I much prefer that over colorful pictures. My son loves it, each day he declares "I'm going to do my phonics!" I do not mind the writing work, my son's handwriting has improved greatly from the practice.

I found it at a thrift store for I believe less than a dollar. A few pages were used but it was a great deal. Now I'm going to get level K for my 4 year old.

We've never used ETC so I can't compare them.

Dd didn't care for ETC, but loved MCP Phonics.

ETC is layed out in a simple black/white format. Dd found the exercises to be mundane/monotonous.

After the first book we moved onto MCP which is recommended in the WTM.

MCP Phonics can be purchased in a color format (1998 edition is what Dd preferred) or black/white edition.

Dd liked the scope/sequence along with the books recommended for reading.

Rainbow Resource Center lists reviews of both products to aid parents in choosing resources at http://www.rainbowresource.com

Warm Regards,

Kathy

:001_smile:

We have used and are finishing up MCP. A year of MCP B helped dd, and two years has gotten ds up to speed (MCP A and B.) It is busy work, but we need that sometimes. I can tell ds, "Work on this page. Here are the instructions," and then work one on one with dd. Having a 10 mo in the house makes some busy work necessary.

Thanks for all the replies! Hmm. It's so inexpensive I'm tempted to get it just to supplement. I guess I won't use it alone since there are some mixed reviews and ETC worked for my older boys. I was just reassessing because my dd (5) is almost ready to move from "Go For The Code" to ETC 1.

One thing I definitely like about ETC that I'm afraid I'd lose with MCP is that my dd is able to say "Oh, I know what to do on this page!" and just do it because the types of exercises are repetitive.

I might use it for some "quality busywork" for my ds 4, and something extra for dd 5 when she needs to slow down with ETC.

One thing I definitely like about ETC that I'm afraid I'd lose with MCP is that my dd is able to say "Oh, I know what to do on this page!" and just do it because the types of exercises are repetitive.

I don't think you will lose this with MCP. Lots of the same types of exercises.