Menu

Speaking of natural home products...

Some of you are way, way ahead of me on this, but for those that aren't I thought I'd share this.

I've always been interested in natural home cleaning products (as well as personal hygiene, etc.), but I've never totally jumped into that lifestyle change. Today, however, I wanted to clean some windows and realized that I was out of my Win--x brand spay cleaner. It occurred to me that we had a lot of vinegar in the house and wondered if it might work. I then asked my dear mother, age 78, who lives with us what my grandmother would have used to clean her windows. Mom said she would have used about 1 c. white vinegar diluted in 1 gal. water. So I mixed it up and went to town on my french doors. It worked beautifully!

So now I'm thinking about how much of a cost savings this alone would be if I stopped buying my brand name cleaner. I know there are a lot of products I could stop buying too. I could just go by what my grandmother used or get info from the myriad of information available on the Internet.

chores004.gif

We've all been talking about cutting back on costs, and going green is the growing philosophy of the day. It would really be easy to take the time to convert over to using natural products as much as possible.

chores012.gif

Does anyone have household "recipes" or ideas to share along these lines? It seems pretty timely to be talking about it with the economy challenges we're dealing with.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Here is my own personal recipe for spray cleaner...it's a small initial investment but (I think) well worth it!

Spray bottle (I am reusing a bottle from my last purchased cleaner...it was eco friendly cleaner but rather spendy)

Lime essential oil (about $6)*

Lavendar essential oil (about $10)*

Tea Tree Oil (about $5)*

Vinegar

Water

I mix 1 c vinegar and 5 drops of each of the oils and pour it into the spray bottle...then fill the rest of the way with water. It smells SO fresh and clean! Vinegar works wonderfully but I'm not that fond of the smell....so the oils mask the smell without being parfume-y or over-powering...love it!

* these are .5 fl oz and that is enough to make approx 50 gallons of cleaner...:D

I use vinegar and baking soda for everything, except I do use windex for the windows - for some reason vinegar and water doesn't seem to clean them well for me. Here's another reason to go natural :D For most people, the air pollution inside their home is way worse than outside, because of all the chemicals they use. I haven't yet made any recipes with tea tree oil or essential oils, but I want to. I think that would smell so nice, especially in the laundry. The vinegar smell does go away when it dries. I also use vinegar to wash all my produce - it helps keep it fresher longer, but vinegar also kills 99% of germs, so it kills the e.coli or salmonella that might be anywhere, too.

Here is my own personal recipe for spray cleaner...it's a small initial investment but (I think) well worth it!

Spray bottle (I am reusing a bottle from my last purchased cleaner...it was eco friendly cleaner but rather spendy)

Tea Tree Oil (about $5)*

Vinegar

Water

I mix 1 c vinegar and 5 drops of each of the oils and pour it into the spray bottle...then fill the rest of the way with water. It smells SO fresh and clean! Vinegar works wonderfully but I'm not that fond of the smell....so the oils mask the smell without being parfume-y or over-powering...love it!

* these are .5 fl oz and that is enough to make approx 50 gallons of cleaner...:D

Where do you buy your essential oils? I've been wanting to go this route as well, but cannot stand the smell of vinegar. Period. Blech!

I use vinegar to clean just about everything, including glass. I find that the wiping material matters more than the cleaner (I use my old flannel cloth diaper wipes). I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to clean the tub, bathroom sink and counter top (it cuts through soap scum more easily than vinegar and BS, IMO).

It sure does make life a lot simpler!

There's a lot of great recipes for making your own cleaners in Talking Dirty With the Queen of Clean by Linda Cobb. I have the first edition of the book but she has a 2nd edition plus some others. I've been using vinegar water solution for cleaning glass and disinfecting kids toys for years. My other favorite to use is a recipe for cleaning the grout in the bathroom/shower/tub area. You make a paste with baking soda and bleach and put it on the grout and mildew areas and then let it dry completely. I usually do it in the morning and rinse it out in the evening. It cleans them beautifully. She also has some great ideas for cleaning stuck on food from pots and pans using baking soda, salt, and lemon juice. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. I'm looking forward to reading cleaning product recipes from others.

Thanks!

Where do you buy your essential oils? I've been wanting to go this route as well, but cannot stand the smell of vinegar. Period. Blech!

well I buy mine locally but after looking at the prices at that vitacost....I'm so going there for now on! LOL

I use straight vinegar for nearly everything. I keep spray bottles of it handy.

When I want some abrasive power, I use baking soda.

I do find that vinegar leaves my wood floors a little dull, so I use Murphy's Oil Soap for mopping.

Also, on the windows, I use straight vinegar but wipe with newspaper.

Tea Tree Oil (about $5)*

Vinegar

Water

You also get aromatherapy. Lavendar is calming and tea tree is natural antiseptic/disinfectant.

Very smart.

Jet

I use vinegar to clean just about everything, including glass. I find that the wiping material matters more than the cleaner (I use my old flannel cloth diaper wipes). I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to clean the tub, bathroom sink and counter top (it cuts through soap scum more easily than vinegar and BS, IMO).

It sure does make life a lot simpler!

We use Dr Bronner peppermint for ants too, fyi.

Jet

We have been steam cleaner fanatics for ten yrs and just stepped up to big steam cleaner. It cut our cleaning time in half. It does everything top to bottom.

My dh handles the machine, because I (conveniently) dont mess with contraptions. He literally looks for things to clean..

We love it.

Jet

Tea Tree Oil (about $5)*

Vinegar

Water

Oooo! I wanna try this one! Those sound like they'd smell wonderful!

I've been using newspaper to clean windows since I learned it from my friend's mom years ago when I was a kid. There are no streaks and the windows really shine.

I'm looking forward to taking this idea a bit further and want to build up an arsenal of useful ingredients. So what would you all suggest to have on hand besides vinegar, baking soda and the those already mentioned essential oils?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Tea Tree Oil (about $5)*

Vinegar

Water

Does the oil leave a residue on the things you clean?

I've been using newspaper to clean windows since I learned it from my friend's mom years ago when I was a kid. There are no streaks and the windows really shine.

I'm looking forward to taking this idea a bit further and want to build up an arsenal of useful ingredients. So what would you all suggest to have on hand besides vinegar, baking soda and the those already mentioned essential oils?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

pumice stone....it works extremely well on grout, porcelain toilets and sinks, and when cleaning the oven....if you bother to do that! :lol:

but other than that...I mostly JUST use the vinegar mixture for cleaning everything. I only sometimes use baking soda...when things are really dried on the stove top. Also, I don't know how green it is...but I *love* me some Magic Erasers...:tongue_smilie:

For automatic dishwasher detergent, I use 1c washing soda, 1C Borax, 20 drops (or so) of Lemon essential oil (can use any of your choice). Mix well in a container and keep a 1/2 tablespoon in it for measuring. Per load: 1/2 scoop in the prewash and 2 in the regular. I also fill the rinse dispenser with vinegar rather than purchased rinse aid.

Homemade 'softscrub': 1 c baking soda, 1/3-1/2c Dr. Bronners organic liquid soap. Slowly mix in the soap until you get a nice 'soft-scrub' like consistency. You can also add a few drops (about 10) of essential oil of your choice.

I fill soap dispensers with the Dr. Bronner's and add 10 drops of essential oil per cup. 1 teaspoonful vegetable glycerin per cup added is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Not a recipe, but for laundry, I use vinegar in the softener dispenser, sometimes with essential oil. I stopped using toxic and expensive dryer sheets a while ago and instead bought 'Dryer Balls' at Bed, Bath and Beyond for 9.99. They are awesome- cuts down on static and fluffs up the clothes. You can also dampen a washcloth and put about 10 drops of an essential oil on it if you want fragrance. Lemon and lavender are good together fro a soothing, but uplifting scent.

I personally like making my own cleaning and personal care concoctions. I feel thrifty and creative and enjoy creating my own scents with oils.

For those who don't like vinegar smell, but want a good glass cleaner--

1 gal. hot water+generous splash rubbing alcohol+drop of dishsoap. Add the dishsoap last, 'cause you don't want bubbles, then just swish it around a bit. It cleans beautifully. But there is that darned rubbing alcohol smell...:D

Also, I have read that hydrogen peroxide+vinegar make a great disinfectant. You keep each in seperate bottle. Wipe the surface to be disinfected, spray with hydrogen peroxide, then--without wiping--spray the vinegar on top. Now wipe down. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide and vinegar combine and release a huge amount of oxygen, which kills the bad germies. Of course, I do not have a degree in chemistry, nor do I check my counters with a microscope, but, it sounds good...

For automatic dishwasher detergent, I use 1c washing soda, 1C Borax, 20 drops (or so) of Lemon essential oil (can use any of your choice). Mix well in a container and keep a 1/2 tablespoon in it for measuring. Per load: 1/2 scoop in the prewash and 2 in the regular. I also fill the rinse dispenser with vinegar rather than purchased rinse aid.

Homemade 'softscrub': 1 c baking soda, 1/3-1/2c Dr. Bronners organic liquid soap. Slowly mix in the soap until you get a nice 'soft-scrub' like consistency. You can also add a few drops (about 10) of essential oil of your choice.

I fill soap dispensers with the Dr. Bronner's and add 10 drops of essential oil per cup. 1 teaspoonful vegetable glycerin per cup added is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Not a recipe, but for laundry, I use vinegar in the softener dispenser, sometimes with essential oil. I stopped using toxic and expensive dryer sheets a while ago and instead bought 'Dryer Balls' at Bed, Bath and Beyond for 9.99. They are awesome- cuts down on static and fluffs up the clothes. You can also dampen a washcloth and put about 10 drops of an essential oil on it if you want fragrance. Lemon and lavender are good together fro a soothing, but uplifting scent.

I personally like making my own cleaning and personal care concoctions. I feel thrifty and creative and enjoy creating my own scents with oils.

where do you get washing soda?

where do you get washing soda?

It can be a pain to find. I get mine at Wegmans. Try the Arm and Hammer website (they make washing soda) I e-mailed them, asking which local stores carried their product and they e-mailed me a list of places to get it in my area. Or you can get it online--amazon carrries it, if I remember correctly.

It should be in the laundry section of your grocery store. Usually on the top shelf.

Melissa

Yes, give it a try at the grocery store. Here in the PNW I can find it at nearly all grocery stores on the top shelf near the laundry products. I also find Fels Naptha bars there in the same area. Washing Soda and the Fels Naptha together make a great laundry soap that is cheap yet effective. If anyone wants the recipe for liquid laundry soap made with these ingredients I'll post it on this thread. Just let me know.

chores047.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, give it a try at the grocery store. Here in the PNW I can find it at nearly all grocery stores on the top shelf near the laundry products. I also find Fels Naptha bars there in the same area. Washing Soda and the Fels Naptha together make a great laundry soap that is cheap yet effective. If anyone wants the recipe for liquid laundry soap made with these ingredients I'll post it on this thread. Just let me know.

chores047.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, please!:)

Laundry Detergent Recipe chores033.gif

You will need:

2 – 5 ½ oz. Bars Fels Naptha Bar soap

1 ½ cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

6 cups water

4 ½ gallons hot water (from the tap)

Cheese grater

Funnel

5 gallon bucket

Empty gallon-size milk jugs

Large stockpot

Grate the Fels Naptha soap and mix with the 6 cups of water in stockpot and stir over low heat. Stir constantly until all grated soap is dissolved. Pour mixture into the big bucket and add the hot water. Next, stir in the washing soda and mix well. Leave overnight in bucket to set up into a gel. Pour gel into gallon jugs for storage. Use 1 cup per load of laundry.

NOTE: Fels Naptha soap can be found in the Laundry aisle of most groceries stores. It is a brown bar wrapped in parchment paper. Washing soda should be located nearby on the same aisle, and comes in a yellow Arm & Hammer box.

Blessings,

Lucinda

How much does that end up costing you?

And where does one find a pumice stone, and how do you use it?

I'm not sure about buying a pumice stone, but as for the price of the laundry detergent it is very inexpensive. I think you should be able buy the washing soda and the soap for about $5. I usually buy several bars of Fels Naptha because it is so cheap and then we grate it up 2 bars at a time. The box of soda lasts for several batches.

Oh, another tip is that if you have one of those long paint stirring paddles on a cordless drill, it works really well to stir it once the soap mixture is in the big bucket.

The whole detergent making process is fun for kids to help with. Some groups of kids in our community actually make and bottle up this stuff to give to a local helps ministry. It is distributed to the needy along with other household products.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Something of note on buying essential oil:

When I first started buying it I ended up with a few bottles that just had caps, not droppers. It was really annoying because I had to then find droppers to be able to measure the oil properly. One of the droppers I used got corroded around the top because of the strength of the oil. It was frustrating. So now I'm always sure to check before buying.

I love your idea for the soft scrub, that's great!

I have a question on the Dr. B's in the soap dispenser though.

Whenever I do that it always gunks up in the opening and people inevitably push down and the soap comes shooting out of any opening it can find and goes wherever it lands: a shirt, the wall, an eye, etc.

Any ideas on keeping it from gunking up like that? Is that maybe why they suggest using glycerin?

I love Dr. B's. I shower with the peppermint one almost every day in addition to other uses. The gunking problem isn't an issue in the shower because it's a different type of bottle.

Yes, I would suspect that adding glycerin would help with the 'gunking up' problem. That happens to me, too. I just remove it with a wet hand before pumping the dispenser. The Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap would probably make a great and refreshing soft-scrub. I just always buy the unscented because I like adding my own different fragrances (including peppermint!).