Menu

Laundry -- Today I gave notice to my family.

I am checking today to make sure they all know how to run the machines. Walking them through expectations, clean out lint trap, how much soap, what setting to put the machines on etc..

Tomorrow the big kids are on their own. They've got their assigned laundry day and they'll get to do their own linens (towels & sheets) too. :D

Bing bada boom, I'm down to a manageable amount of laundry! Mine & the babies.

DH "fired" me earlier last month and started doing his own. :auto: I felt bad until I realized I can quit too.

Living in the country makes more dirty laundry than one person can manage for this family of 7. At least 2 outfits a day times 7! Not counting all the towels and bedding from my night time wetters.

I did my DH's laundry once. He complained about how I folded his pants. I never did it again. The older 3 all have their own laundry duty. We don't have assigned days, but I only remind the twins when their basket is looking full. DD is SOL if she doesn't realize she is out of xyz before she does her laundry. She is 12 and should notice when she grabs her last pair of underwear out of the draw and think "maybe I should wash those clothes today."

Good for you. I heard a radio show a few weeks ago about teaching responsibility and avoiding entitlement. They said that each month starting at age 12 they gave their kids "ownership" of another aspect of life. By the time they graduated, they were able to cook, clean, do laundry, basic home repair, manage money, shop, etc.

Something new each month? For 6 years? What else was on the list?

I don't know all exactly but I wish I had that list. Each month might have been a tiny step but they also talked about getting yourself up on time each morning, showering when needed, etc.

I would love to see a list of ideas to work from.

I have 3 special needs kids but while they are all mentally impaired, they can ALL do a lot more than most people would give them credit for. They might not be able to all do everything but if I had a list we could see what were reasonable goals.

I did this last week! My 16 year old nephew (who lives with us) is doing his own. My 8 year old is now doing her own. My DH does his own work clothes, and I do his others (which doesn't usually add up to much). I'm still in charge of my own, DD5's, DD10 months, and all the extras, but it's much better now.

Good for you. I heard a radio show a few weeks ago about teaching responsibility and avoiding entitlement. They said that each month starting at age 12 they gave their kids "ownership" of another aspect of life. By the time they graduated, they were able to cook, clean, do laundry, basic home repair, manage money, shop, etc.

Do you know the name of the show? I'd like to see if I can find a podcast. :D

I don't know all exactly but I wish I had that list. Each month might have been a tiny step but they also talked about getting yourself up on time each morning, showering when needed, etc.

I would love to see a list of ideas to work from.

Me too.

I quit doing their laundry years ago and abandon them occasionally so they have to cook, but the rest of the list would be awesome.

ohhhh maybe I need to fire myself!

I had a really great day. Three kids + myself all have clean clothing and the laundry room no longer required a breathing apparatus to make it in an out with out wheezing and watering eyes.

:D

It was really bad.

Don't wait until you're standing in a stinky room full of filthy clothing realizing there's just no way one person can handle it all to quit.

Do it now. :auto:

I had a really great day. Three kids + myself all have clean clothing and the laundry room no longer required a breathing apparatus to make it in an out with out wheezing and watering eyes.

:D

It was really bad.

Don't wait until you're standing in a stinky room full of filthy clothing realizing there's just no way one person can handle it all to quit.

Do it now. :auto:

So I put post it notes on the washer/dryer to help DD 11 remember what settings to use and she still looks at me like a deer in headlights.

I'm doooooomed.

So I put post it notes on the washer/dryer to help DD 11 remember what settings to use and she still looks at me like a deer in headlights.

I'm doooooomed.

:lol::lol: Aw, she's just giving you a pre-teen dead-pan look so you'll break.

Keep it up.

How many loads a week would you need to go down and watch while she does it "to make sure it's done right?"

It's like a staring contest, but with the washing machines. Don't break her gaze!

One of mine tried that today..... but then she had to practice on my laundry and the babies. :tongue_smilie: It really wasn't on her list of things to do so she figured it out quick.

I resigned from vacuuming and cleaning bathrooms some time ago. The boys are very able to vacuum all the floors and baseboards. They also do a decent-ish job of wiping the bathroom each day including scrubbing and wiping toilets. They do a so-so job on the tub/shower. We're working on that. (Of course they have other chores, but these I was happiest to pass off to them...)

But I haven't farmed out the laundry. I think I'm inspired, however! Thanks, OP for the inspiration, and congrats on your new freedom!

:lol::lol: Aw, she's just giving you a pre-teen dead-pan look so you'll break.

Keep it up.

How many loads a week would you need to go down and watch while she does it "to make sure it's done right?"

It's like a staring contest, but with the washing machines. Don't break her gaze!

One of mine tried that today..... but then she had to practice on my laundry and the babies. :tongue_smilie: It really wasn't on her list of things to do so she figured it out quick.

We shall see how many loads it takes for her to "get it" tomorrow as I have LOTS of laundry to do and we are only a family of 4! HA!

We shall see how many loads it takes for her to "get it" tomorrow as I have LOTS of laundry to do and we are only a family of 4! HA!

Stay strong mama! I found the floor in my laundry room yesterday evening. Yes, it took all day constant 30 minute loads to get the kids through, my own, and finally the towels.

Towels...... that's another post. :D

Since we're all caught up on laundry today. AND I brought out all the cold weather clothing. AND purged 4 garbage bags of clothing, I don't know how they got here.....yes I do. My sister dropped off bags of hand-me-downs recently. :D

We're washing bedding today!!!! Yay. :001_smile:

I am pleading the 5th on when the last change out was for some of my older children.

This means my 13 yo is going to have to unload her teddy bear buddies from her bed....trauma. :001_huh:

1 Week Update:

Only my dd 13 was upset, "Too much change. Too big of an expectation. Too hard to do." :glare: I think I waited too long to make this change. The other, younger, kids are very enthusiastic!

Here are some other things I observed.

1. Had one enthusiastic laundress who was washing one outfit at a time, daily. Reminder to not waste electricity, soap, and water on an empty load.

2. Posted signs, "Laundry today, or Naked tomorrow." were motivational and sensational. We hung one on the door to read as you're headed out. It inspired my 9 yo ds to stop and throw in his load before going out to play

3. Kitchen towels are getting washed daily! I'm going to sort out the older ones and toss them.

4. Everyone's using their own towels. I like knowing who showered by looking at the towels hanging. :D

5. EVERYONE's bedding was washed!!! All of it

6. I freed up hours of my time. I am moving on to organizing my sewing area.

7. There's no piles (mountains) on the laundry floor! I could sweep the floor any day of the week!