Menu

food gift for a diabetic...need ideas

our piano teacher is WONDERFUL.....besides being such a good teacher, she is fitting us in her already busy schedule out of the goodness of her heart. I want to show her once in a while just how much i appreciate her kindness. I usually do that my baking a plate of cookies or something like that, but she is diabetic. So, what can I make for her to show her our gratitude? A loaf of bread came to mind, but I don't know if that is ok. Can you please give me some ideas? thanks.

Awww, you're awesome for taking that into consideration. As a recently diagnosed diabetic, I wouldn't want a food gift. If I received one, I would probably re-gift it. I do not eat carbs and have to be very careful about everything else I eat (well, it's my choice to try to gain control without meds, but I'm sure other diabetics do the same). I would want to know all the ingredients that went into the product. I do still receive food gifts (jams, candy, etc.) and I just give them to my family. I'm not sure what to suggest that would be comparative cost of a homemade bread. If you don't mind her possibly not indulging in what you take to her, I'm sure she would still appreciate the thought.

I plan to give her a really nice something for Christmas, but I just wanted a little something that she would enjoy as a "just because" gift....something that wouldnt cost too much...

this teacher, not only did she "fit us in", but she is REALLY good! Our previous teacher, although was super nice, wasn't an accomplished musician and didn't teach the kids some of the important techniques and such, plus she wouldn't make the kids work towards perfection...she would let them drop a song after only playing it one week reguardless of how they played it. Our new teacher challenges the kids in a fun way. I LOVE her...she is awesome!!!!!!

My Mom is a very strict diabetic - she does not use meds at all, but keeps it well in control. (Actually, she's no longer considered diabetic due to her efforts - yay!)

Coffee or tea would be her choice.

Not sure if this is doable for you, but one of my favorite "just because" gifts (to receive) was a few Gerber Daisies, with the stems wrapped with some twine. Super sweet, and not expensive. Made me smile.

Maybe I am not clear on this deal....the gift card is a great gift idea and I will remember that for Chrsitmas. however, you see, I sometimes will bring a plate of cookies to our local library for the workers to share, or I will bake a loaf of bread for our art teacher, just because. It is a kind gesture that doesn't look like a real gift...just a kindness. That is what I want...just a kindness....but being that the teacher is diabetic, it is more difficult and since I know very little about diabetics, I don't know what they can and can not eat. So that is why I am asking you.

I would be inclined to bring a hunk of really special cheese with a pretty bow on it.

Another option might be some homemade salad dressing with no sugar or fruit in it, if you want to make something. Diabetics are supposed to eat a lot of salad.

Or see if you can find one of those good candy stores that sells sugar free chocolate truffles.

You are very thoughtful to consider her needs.

Nuts, cheese, or fruit would be good. Unfortunately a lot of "diabetic friendly" recipes really aren't because while they replace sugar with something else, they frequently contain white flour which is of equivalent concern. If you are considering baking a new recipe or buying something, look for something with under 15 carbs for a pretty generous serving that would feel like a treat.

Quiche is good, but would need refrigeration. Homemade salsa would be a good choice, too.

ETA: Bringing nutrition information with your prepared recipe would be very helpful.

I recently sent a nice new pen, a small notepad, and a small post-it note pad to one of my dd's teachers that has really gone above and beyond. I spent $3 at Michaels in their $1 bins and the teacher has raved about it since. She uses the pen daily and always has need for note paper and post it notes.

As a recently diagnosed diabetic (March), honestly, I would also rather not have a food gift. Unless it is packaged so I can read the label, but even then, I would most likely just pass it on to my kids. Fruits are even tough because they contain natural sugars that can cause havoc in some diabetics. What works for one person, may not work for another.

You are very thoughtful to consider her needs.

Nuts, cheese, or fruit would be good. Unfortunately a lot of "diabetic friendly" recipes really aren't because while they replace sugar with something else, they frequently contain white flour which is of equivalent concern. If you are considering baking a new recipe or buying something, look for something with under 15 carbs for a pretty generous serving that would feel like a treat.

Quiche is good, but would need refrigeration. Homemade salsa would be a good choice, too.

ETA: Bringing nutrition information with your prepared recipe would be very helpful.

:iagree: A fruit and cheese plate would be lovely, or some mixed nuts in different flavors. And they are things that could be fairly low budget if you make them yourself. The homemade salsa would be awesome too. I would not try the diabetic friendly desserts unless you can get more info on how strict she is with her diet - most of them are actually still pretty bad for diabetics.

can she have dried fruit??

Again, it depends on how strict she is. I do eat some dried fruit, in very small quantities, but it is a lot more calorie dense than fresh fruit. It would be another option to pair with cheese or nuts to make a little gift plate or basket though.

What works for one person, may not work for another.
That's the key thing right there. My DH is diabetic, and all together, we have 6 different diabetics in our two extended families. They are all following different diets, depending on which meds they are on, and how they are diabetic (some are insulin resistant, some don't make enough insulin, etc.)

My DH eats sugar, carefully, watching his overall carb count. Artificial sweeteners do a number on his intestines, causing his blood sugar numbers to go haywire. On the other hand, his sister lives on diet soda. Some eat fruit. Some don't. Etc.

If you want to do a food gift, the best thing is for it not to be a surprise. Tell her you'd like to bring her a little goodie, and ask what that can be on her particular diet.

You asked for a recipe so I'm going to share my favorite one. I use Truvia as the sweetener - I don't do Splenda, aspartame, etc.

It is really difficult unless you know how restricted her diet is. I don't go near fruit and dried fruit would probably be even worse.

Nuts are something that I do eat, and because of my way of eating, macadamia nuts are great.

In this recipe, I use 90% cacao chocolate. It does have some sugar, but luckily for me, I can eat a small cookie or two and not have my blood sugar spike. My notes are at the end.

My vote would be to give her flowers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

"HEALTHIFIED" CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cookies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

1 cup coconut oil or butter

1 cup Just Like Sugar OR Just Like BROWN Sugar

1/2 cup erythritol (or Swerve)

2 tsp stevia glycerite

OPTION: add 1 egg (for cake-like cookie)

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

2 ChocoPerfection Bars (chopped)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, Just Like Brown Sugar, erythritol and stevia (add in egg if using). Cream for a few minutes until very fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth. Add in chocolate. Roll 2 TBS of dough into a ball in your hands (for uniform shape) onto a cookie sheet, then press down to they are about ¾ of an inch thick. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and enjoy! I keep mine in the freezer (for portion control!:) Makes 24 cookies.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cookie)

Traditional Cookie = 180 calories 25 effective carbs

"Healthified" Cookie = 125 calories, 1.5 effective carbs

VARIATION: Smoosh my "healthified" ice cream in between! This could also be used as a pie crust. Change it up by adding almond extract and shredded coconut. They can also be made into bars; just be sure to cool completely before trying to serve.

Source:

"http://mariahealth.blogspot.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used all Truvia for the sweetener. I used 3/4 cup to 1 cup total. I used butter and left out the egg. I used a Lindt 90% Cacao bar broken into small pieces instead of the ChocoPerfection Bars. The second time I made these, I used half butter and half coconut oil. They were even tastier! These cookies taste like regular chocolate chip cookies. They are awesome!

I agree that it's best to ask if you're set on giving a food gift, as people have all sorts of different ideas of what they feel is an appropriate diabetic diet :)

I also agree that (non-sweetened) mixed nuts are probably the safest choice if you don't want to ask.

My SIL was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and, based on what she's said, I suspect she'd agree with the people who have said they'd really prefer a non-food gift. Apparently being asked "Can you have X?" is also a pet peeve of hers - she *can* have anything, she just has to balance her choices and use judgement about what and how much is "worth it".

(I'm in a toss-up about this myself right now. We're doing a lot of canning, and a lot of our Christmas gifts will come out of that. While we're doing generally low or no-sugar, I'm still not sure if it will be appreciated or useful.)