Menu

SHE DID IT! My little Penguin Plunged!

Well, today was the big day....dd(10) and her friend Sarah (also ten, and also homeschooled!) donned their bathing suits and a bow tie, walked out onto the 10" thick ice here on our local Connecticut lake, jumped in :eek: and swam ashore to raise money for the Special Olympics! Molly and Sarah were the youngest Penguin Plungers, and were so brave! They raised over $500.00 for the cause and made memories they won't soon forget (nor will we!)

In the pictures, Molly is the little icepop second from the right, with the light blue bathing suit and the braids. Her friend Sarah is on the far right, in the blue suit. We have no idea who the other two girls are; I think they just stuck them with Molly and Sarah at the last moment to give the little ones some moral support.

We're very proud of her.....that took lots of courage, and though they felt like chickening out, they knew they had a responsibility to their donors to follow through on their end of the bargain.

She's going to sleep well tonight!

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

Yes, we have an answer. The MRI came back with a "flattened" area on the edge of her cartilage. Dr. thinks that when she fell on her knee, her patella smashed into the edge of the cartilage, spreading apart the fibers, bruising and swelling the structure and roughing up the backside of the patella. So when she moved it just so, the bruised areas would get caught in the spread fibers, causing her the sudden bursts of pain. Since her cartilage is young and flexible, it just smooshed and spread. Dr. said cartilage that's older would have been more brittle and torn, so it's really a good outcome.

Rest, ice and anti-inflammatories for now. Dr. hates to operate on kids' knees if at all avoidable.

So that's where we are......obviously it didin't stop her from taking the plunge today!

Molly and Sarah were the youngest Penguin Plungers' date=' and were so brave! They raised over $500.00 for the cause and made memories they won't soon forget (nor will we!) [/quote']

Good grief!!! I think I'd donate the $500.00 myself before you could get me out into that water. Shoot, I wouldn't even get out onto the ICE in a bathing suit, and I sure as shootin' would never jump in! Those are some very brave girls. They should be very proud of themselves!!

I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold water.

Doran