Menu

Awesome hot cocoa ideas, please!

Dd loves trying those individual packets of hot cocoa because she can do different flavors, but i dont like the ingredient lists. Ds likes plain hot cocoa. I need some ideas to make both kids happy.

Have you seen the simpsons movie? Everytime i think of making hot cocoa for the kids, i think of ned flanders and the mug he gives bart. Lol. I have not beed able to get bart's response out of my kids yet.

I use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Here is the link. We do use their Special Dark cocoa rather than the "regular" cocoa, though. We like our chocolate dark and bitter. Someday I want to buy some high-quality extra dark cocoa but for now we stick with Hershey's. ;)

You can make it better by using half and half instead of milk... if you are not worried about fat content!

Or are you looking for a hot cocoa mix? I have one that uses just dry milk, cocoa, sugar and salt --> no nondairy creamer. Don't have it in front of me but if you are interested, let me know.

Some sugar, a little water, and cocoa powder. I basically follow the directions on the can of cocoa powder, but I do find that I don't use as much cocoa or sugar as they recommend. Heat and once the cocoa dissolves and it thickens a little, I add milk, then a bit of vanilla at the end. You could make flavors by adding more vanilla, or mint flavoring, etc.

I put a 1:1 ratio of sugar to cocoa powder in a jar, put lid on, then shake well. Us the back of a spoon to break up any lumps of cocoa. I spoon this into hot milk and stir. You can stir with a peppermint stick, or sprinkle in cinnamon, or even cinnamon and a little chili powder. I like to stir a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil into my hot chocolate, yum, drinkable mounds candy bar. It is also good with a splash of coffee added. My kids like whipped cream on top of theirs.

I used to do a 2:1 ration of sugar to cocoa, but reduced it to 1:1 over a year and my kids didn't seem to notice.

Edited by Onceuponatime

I put a 1:1 ratio of sugar to cocoa powder in a jar, put lid on, then shake well. Us the back of a spoon to break up any lumps of cocoa. I spoon this into hot milk and stir. You can stir with a peppermint stick, or sprinkle in cinnamon, or even cinnamon and a little chili powder. I like to stir a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil into my hot chocolate, yum, drinkable mounds candy bar. It is also good with a splash of coffee added. My kids like whipped cream on top of theirs.

I used to do a 2:1 ration of sugar to cocoa, but reduced it to 1:1 over a year and my kids didn't seem to notice.

I like this idea...thanks. I was wondering how to do this too. Do you use regular sugar or powdered sugar??

Last winter I made too much frosting for something.

It was chocolate frosting that I had put orange extract in.

I put a heaping spoonful into the coffee and cocoa we drink. WOW!!

I will do this again this year. Yes, it has butter, but you can put it in the fridge for a long time and dole it out as you wish.

I would think this would work for lemon extract, and peppermint, etc....

You would have to reduce your sugar in the actual cocoa. We use the Hersheys recipe as well, but I reduce the sugar: I make a huge batch and it lasts a couple of days reheated.

My children also like to get the Brachs starmints and put those in their teas and cocoas too.

You could use Werthers flavors as well.

Lara