Menu

Need recommendations for second grade copywork...

Catherine

I will cull from literary sources, poetry, great quotes and occasionally the Bible and if I don't have anything on hand and I need one, I'll take my little book George Washington's Rules of Civility.

These are yet another option for you. They were written by Kimber, a mom who frequents these boards. The copybooks come in a variety of handwriting styles, and they correspond with the four-year history cycle, but she only has the books for early modern and modern times out right now. We use these and my kids really like them, especially my 11 yo.

There is also a Westminster Catechism copybook, and a McGuffey readers book, but we have not used either of these ourselves.

Some of the books can be downloaded for free from Lulu.com, it looks like, or you can purchase a printed book.

Classical Reading and Writing website

Classical Reading and Writing Copybooks Lulu.com store

I create my own copywork using the Startwrite program. You can download a free trial at their website http://www.startwrite.com I appreciate it because it has an italic font and we use Getty/Dubay Italic handwriting series. Also, I can customize our copywork to go with whatever we are reading or studying. I also use Ambleside Online's copywork selections. I just cut and paste them into the StartWrite program. They have a yahoo group.

I made big book of copywork from books we are going to read this year for my fourth grader. I used some from aocopywork and some from just books I know we'll cover. I printed them out all colorful (made it in word) and made covers out of cardboard (the back of a giant sketchbook) and scrapbook paper and tomorrow I'm taking it to Staples to get it spiral bound. I'm excited about it. I will just give an assignment from that book to copy into his own copywork journal. I also put some dictation assignments in there. It has a table of contents and everything. I'm pretty excited and proud of it.

I can bind my own books, book binding is a hobby of mine, but with four now I don't have time to do it as much as I would like. Finding out about getting stuff spiral bound at Staples was a godsend. For his copywork journal, last year I made a nice bound book, but since he wants to move up to regular notebook paper, I couldn't find any that was wide enough for me to make a nice bound book so I bought a composition book and we are going to just cover it in scrapbook paper (he will have one for just copywork and one for compositions. We are making him a nice blank paper handbound journal for his own private writing and drawing.)

Jo

"Kimber" is her name on these boards, and Kimberly Garcia is her name IRL.

The Early Modern for upper grammar/logic stage has reading and copywork from source documents such as the Mayflower Compact, the Bill of Rights, the Preamble to the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence. There is also fiction from the time period, fiction about the time period, and poetry. There are many, many selections to choose from, and this book can also be used for memory work.

The books are very professionally done, too, and there is plenty of space for the student to write in.

Highly recommended around here!

Accelerated Curriculum has copywork on their cd rom. I got the demo cd and was able to access just some of the copywork samples. It is the biggest list of copywork I have seen (it is intended to go throught 12th grade). If you aren't familiar with this, it is similiar to Robinson Curriculum. But, Accelerated is only $100 or so. Just having it for a resource for the years of copywork would be worth the money. Just something I am considering for copywork.