Menu

S/O of ID: How old were you when you got your license?

How old were you when you got your DL?  

1. 1. How old were you when you got your DL?

• 16-18
    • 19-21
    • 21+
    • I dont have a DL
    • Other

One month shy of 25. I only did it because I had a 2 year old at the time and decided I needed to be able to drive him to the doctor etc without relying on my husband to miss school or work. And I didn't want to be stranded in an emergency.

Why did I not before? Because I am quite certain cars are freakishly dangerous. I was hit my a car as a pedestrian when I was 16. We lived in an area where a bus and bike would do and for fun outings were even preferable (since parking was limited.) Few of my friends had DL in high school. I also worked but my money went to pay for necessities and college, not a car. My parents didn't even have a car from the time I was 14 or 15 until I was 26 or so.

My husband and I bought a little Toyota when I was 21 so by the time I got my DL, my husband was happy to have help with all the driving.

Edited by kijipt

I was 27 when I got my driving license. I grew up in a big city with excellent and cheap public transport then moved to a flat small town where you could either walk or cycle everywhere. For out of town trips there was an extensive railway and coach system. I decided to get my driver's license because I wanted to have the convenience to use my private car once children arrived. I didn't have kids until I was in my 30s so I had plenty of time to practice. By the way, the minimum age at both places was 18 for a driving license.

I couldn't remember if I was 16 or 17, so I appreciate you 16-18 range. :) I got my license as soon as I had enough practice to try the "test" = drive around the block at speeds no more than about 30 mph, no parking requirements. Where I lived, driving was the only practical mode of transportation.

I got my permit and all that jazz at 16. However, I lived in Chicago and didn't need to drive.

I didn't get my actual real liscence until I was 20, and that was because my brothers were going to Italy for 2 months for a video shoot, and they needed me to drive their stick shift datsun around so a) it would not get towed or ticketed and b)It wouldn't die....

So I taught myself how to drive stick shift, by myself, in a Chicago winter in a 1979 datsun, that I first had to unpark from under an elevated train track. :D

I was 16. My parents were kind of insistant. They wanted help with transportation for my brother. But, they were also very cool about letting my borrow a car. So, it was cool.

My boys will be allowed to have DLs whenever our state allows. They keep changing their minds. I think it's still 16 but with lots of restrictions, which is also fine.

I was almost 20. My family didn't have the money for insurance so they never allowed me to drive. I learned to drive illegally and did so occassionally if a friend would let me use her car. I never had a permit but went straight to the adult license because of my age. I remember attempting to take the driving test in my boyfriend's (now DH) red 1966 VW Baja bug. It didn't have a back seat (that was removed for the sound system) but it did have dual, external intake thingamabobbers that made it sound awesome and a Porsche engine that made it super fast. The DMV guy took one look and told me to ditch the popcorn machine and come back with a real car.

Man oh man, I loved that car.

I made sure DD went for her license at 16 and DS will get his then too (if he can pass the driving test; his Tourette Syndrome is slightly problematic at the moment and it is taking longer than expected for him to complete the driving portion of driver's ed).

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I was 15

Me too. In Idaho at the time, you could get your license at 15 with the only restriction being you couldn't drive later than 30 minutes after sunset or earlier than 30 min. before sunrise until you were 16. I believe the rules are stricter now with restrictions on number/age of passengers.