Menu

S/O of ID: How old were you when you got your license?

How old were you when you got your DL?  

1. 1. How old were you when you got your DL?

• 16-18
    • 19-21
    • 21+
    • I dont have a DL
    • Other

How old were you when you got your drivers license?

Poll included :)

For me, My parents wouldnt help me get my license and I couldnt afford driving school. (In OH you have to do drivers school before age 18) so when i moved into my grandparents at the age of 18, my grandma helped me get my drivers license. She paid AAA to teach me the Maneuverability part. I passed with a perfect score the 1st time :)

I got my learners at 14, took driver's training at 16, then failed the road test. I didn't retake it until I was 22 with 2 kids and then passed. So I was 22.

DS is looking forward to getting his learner's now that he is 14, but if he can't stop being a space cadet for a while it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

31. That was 2 yrs. ago.

My mom was killed in a car accident when I was 9 and then the rest of my family and I were in an accident when I was 16. From then on I developed a bit of a phobia of driving. A little over 2 yrs. ago though, DS was going to a private Christian school with no bussing and I needed to be able to drive him so I had no choice but to overcome my phobia and get my license.

Edited by contessa20

I got my permit when I was fifteen - as in, the day I turned fifteen or thereabouts. Then every time we went somewhere, my parents had me drive so I would get experience.

However, I was going to a boarding school 90 minutes from home, and you had to be 2 hours from home without a car in order for my parents to pay higher insurance for me to have a license. Thus I did not get my license until I graduated from high school and went to college in Washington state (my parents lived in Florida, so I was finally far enough from home). I did not have a vehicle at college until my senior year.

I grew up on a farm, so I was driving tractors and trucks as soon as my legs were long enough to reach the peddals.

I got my license at 16yo. I've never taken a driving test since our driver ed teacher could "test" the driving part and pass us. I did have to take the written test, and I've taken a written test every time I've moved to a new state.

I got mine on my 16th birthday.

Regular (classroom, not behind-the-wheel) driver education was a regular part of the high school curriculum when I was a teen. My parents paid for me to take private behind-the-wheel lessons, although I don't remember why that instead of the ones at school.

Anyway, I was at the DMV when they opened on my 16th birthday, passed the test and walked away with my license.

My daughter will be 18 in December and still doesn't have hers. She was still in college when she turned 16 and planned to learn when she got home that summer. But the mood passed, and she's just never gotten around to it.

My son, on the other hand, can't wait to learn to drive. My husband and I are not at all sure he'll be ready at 16, however.

I voted other. I got my Learners Permit the day I turned 14 and my D/L the day I turned 16. I have never understood these kids who have no desire to get a DL.

I do understand if you live in a big city with good public transport....but I know rural kids these days who just. don't. care.

Me? I couldn't wait!

I got mine the day after my 16th birthday (permit at 15 & 9 mos). I bought a car as soon as I had the permit (so I could test drive). In those days, it was relatively cheap to insure a 20 year old car, even for a new driver, and I'd been working since I was 14, so I had the income to do it. :D

I couldn't wait, either, Scarlett. Being subject to my mother's whims whether she'd take me to work or elsewhere got old fast.

I don't have one and don't drive. I was learning when I was 14 and we discovered that I have no depth perception, which is pretty essential for driving safely.

So I never got mine :D and don't plan to. I live in a city with good public transportation, so really there is no need.

That's why I didn't get mine until I was 20. I had depth perception issues that came with an illness I had as a teenager. Driving was extremely scary until that subsided.

In my 20's. No one in my family drove so it wasn't a priority. When I did get my first learner's I quit driving the minute I stalled out on a corner and have a carful of teens yell at me. I have issues with people watching me do new things and it totally extended to driving.

Now that I'm rural, it's starting to drive me a little nuts so I went and took the written test last month (I'm 32) and as soon as dh can take a break from work to watch the kids and we have the money to pay for it, I'm going to pay for lessons. Because I had a learner's previously in another province, there's no wait time to take the driving test. I'll be doing it as soon as possible.

I didn't get mine until I was 22 and married.

Me too. I got my first permit when I was 15. My dad tried to teach me to drive but we clashed so badly I quit. Mom refused to teach me as we were so poor she was uninsured. (My parents were divorced.) I didn't really have a problem with it all because the public bus system was great and could get me anywhere I wanted to go. Plus the grocery store and mall were within walking distance.

After dh and I married (during senior year of college) he taught me to drive. On a stick shift; it was all we had. And we're still married 25 years later. The man's a saint! :D

I got my permit at 15.5 and my license at 16.5. My school was an hour away from home. My parents were quite happy to let me drive myself to the dozens of many rehearsals and performances I was in. I rode the school bus on days that I didn't have performances.

The city I grew up in had buses. I used those before I could drive, but it took quite awhile to get around.

We plan to teach our kids to drive as early as the law allows. I want them to know how to drive a standard transmission, too, even though both of our cars now are automatic. It's a safety thing for me. I want them to be able to drive in an emergency.

I was nervous about driving, and told my driver's ed instructor that. Instead of taking me to a parking lot or little side streets to get me started, he took me to a highway :glare: He also brought me on a rotary and screamed at me when I couldn't figure out how to get off of it. I ended up running onto the island and he just kept screaming at me. I don't do well when people scream at him. I lost it and screamed back, "Maybe it's because I don't f#*$^*@ know how to drive! Isn't that what you're supposed to teach me to do @$$#%^*?!?!?!?!?!" Really, I was totally traumatized by my driver's ed experience. My dad started working with me, but I scared him, so he mostly took me to the cemetery to drive (a ran over a tombstone, but thankfully it was one of those flat ones). Whenever he took me on the real road he'd get freaked out and yell at me. I HATED driving and couldn't afford a car anyway, so I put it off as long as I could. I think I was 21 or 22 when I finally got my license. I still hate driving, and if I can get out of it by having someone else drive, I will.

The second I was legally able to! It was probably on my 16th b-day, or the first day the DMV was open afterwards.

I was an extremely cautious driver. I drove the speed limits and made full stops, etc. I never saw the need to be a goof-ball teenager about it.

I just wanted the freeeeedom! (a la Braveheart.) Oh, the freedom. What glorious, glorious freedom.

I had a job, and got my own car within a month of the license.

I was over 21. I hadn't needed it before that point.

I only got it at my husband's request because he grew up with an "everybody drives" mentality and he felt uncomfortable with my being unlicensed while he was in the field once I became pregnant. Beyond my driving test, I didn't drive until well after that child was born. Still hadn't needed to until that point LOL but it gave my husband peace of mind.

I was nervous about driving, and told my driver's ed instructor that. Instead of taking me to a parking lot or little side streets to get me started, he took me to a highway :glare: He also brought me on a rotary and screamed at me when I couldn't figure out how to get off of it. I ended up running onto the island and he just kept screaming at me. I don't do well when people scream at him. I lost it and screamed back, "Maybe it's because I don't f#*$^*@ know how to drive! Isn't that what you're supposed to teach me to do @$$#%^*?!?!?!?!?!" Really, I was totally traumatized by my driver's ed experience. My dad started working with me, but I scared him, so he mostly took me to the cemetery to drive (a ran over a tombstone, but thankfully it was one of those flat ones). Whenever he took me on the real road he'd get freaked out and yell at me. I HATED driving and couldn't afford a car anyway, so I put it off as long as I could. I think I was 21 or 22 when I finally got my license. I still hate driving, and if I can get out of it by having someone else drive, I will.

:lol:

I lost it and screamed back, "Maybe it's because I don't f#*$^*@ know how to drive! Isn't that what you're supposed to teach me to do @$$#%^*?!?!?!?!?!"

:lol: good for you!

When I went to take the in-car part of the test, someone I knew was waiting to scream at the examiner. It was really wild to say the least.

How old were you when you got your drivers license?

Poll included :)

For me, My parents wouldnt help me get my license and I couldnt afford driving school. (In OH you have to do drivers school before age 18) so when i moved into my grandparents at the age of 18, my grandma helped me get my drivers license. She paid AAA to teach me the Maneuverability part. I passed with a perfect score the 1st time :)

I got mine at 15.5, which is what my state allowed at the time, so long as you had an adult with you. Got a unrestricted license right at 16.

I have had a learner's permit, failed parallel parking portion of the driving test and never tried for a license again. My grandmother never had a license and my mother was well into her 40s before she got hers. Eventually, I will get it, it's a matter of when I decide to get it.

This reminds me. I passed my driver's test but the tester said - I remember this distinctly after like 35 years - "You could park another station wagon in between your car and the curb!" But he passed me.

I'm an amazing parallel parker today. I did it just last week in a huge van. I did have my daughter get out and give me the "stop" motion when trying to get it in there, since I couldn't see either the front end or the back end.

My first car was one of those boxy '71 Valiants, where you could easily see the front and back end of the vehicle. Very easy to park. I hope you can find something similar!

I was 18. I did drivers ed and had my permit way younger than that, but I refused to get my license until I moved out. I was the oldest of 4 and didnt want to be the taxi.

Before you throw tomatoes and call that selfish...

1. My brother was horrid to drive with. He was (he has grown up some) a know-it-all/ critical person and he made me so nervous when he was in the car. His constant stream of criticism and claiming he was going to tell on me made me never want to drive with him.

2. My parents used me as the 3rd parent. I was never allowed to do the fun stuff because I had to help around the house, help with homework, do my own homework, "be there" to babysit the youngers while they were at work every day...etc. But my siblings who did not have my responsibilities, needed rides to their fun activities. I was jealous and didnt want yet another responsibility with absolutely no perk.