Menu

Did or does your dd in 7th grade need extra sleep? How did you handle it?

I'm sure it's puberty but I just need reassurance! Dd12 (13 in 3 months) is SO tired. She slept 13 hours last night and still could barely function during school today! She had to lie down for an hour at 12:30 and was ready for bed at 7:30.

She isn't always like this, but she does regularly sleep 11-12 hours at night (and has for a couple yrs). We started back to school last wk w/ half days and went to full days on Tues, so I'm thinking that is a big part of it. She doesn't have a lot of extra activities going on this yr, thankfully. She is growing a ton-her shoe size went from 5 to 7 1/2 in 9 months. No period yet.

I suspect once we get used to the new routine she won't be so tired.

I'd just love to hear stories that others have been through this though! Basically I'm just feeding her a ton and letting her sleep when she needs to. (She isn't lazy at all-she is very self-driven w/ her schoolwork, so it's not that.)

What do the ps kids do? I remember being so tired at that age.

I have boys, but yes, they went through/are going through the same thing at that age. I just let them sleep and we adjust our start/end times for school accordingly. We have always had a very....flexible...bedtime routine here, though, so letting them both go to bed and get up at whatever time they like has been our norm rather than a sudden change.

My 13yo dd seems to need about 12 hours a night. I let her sleep in. She still gets her schoolwork done, so even though I sort of cringe when she doesn't start til 10:30, I figure her body knows what it needs. I'm grateful we're able to adjust with her body/hormones instead of having to pry her out of bed at 6:30 to catch a bus. She'd be miserable.

My oldest dd slept 14 hours/night during middle school. I was so glad that we were home schooling. She really needed the sleep - and I am not talking about her going to bed at 10 or something. She was in bed and asleep by 8-9 every night. There were some mornings when she was supposed to have a math test when I would just say "hey, let's do that test tomorrow!"

Her first year of public high school was difficult - they go to school here from 7-2. Waking at 6 was very hard for all of us. There are still days that she comes home and naps for an hour before homework or swim team practice.

My youngest girl now is almost 13 yrs old. She goes to bed by 10, but I have noticed that she is sleeping a little longer now. I don't wake her. I just figure that they need it, and it is such a blessing to be home schooling.

Good luck,

ReneeR

Yes, dd did that around 12-13yo. She was in private school and the school had 1/2 days every Wednesday. She would be fine Mon, Tues but by Wed she would go to sleep in the afternoon and often sleep all night. Thurs, Fri she was fine and then sleep all day Saturday. Sunday was a mixed bag based on what she was doing on the weekend.

She was sleeping 12+ hours several days a week and I think that she would have slept 12 hours a night every night if we were still homeschooling at that time.

How do I handle it.....let them sleep unless they absolutely have to get up.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

my daughter was a late bloomer, so this hit her in high school. But she's also a night owl and no matter what time she went to bed, she could not fall asleep before midnight. She was in public school, and was sick ALL the time. Finally we worked with the school to do dual enrolled, and she did have some classes at 9 am, but i drove her . . . so she rolled out of bed, threw on some clothes, at a bowl of cereal and got in the car - so still 2 more hours of sleep than she was getting at school. Plus by then she was 15 and it was slightly better.

Oh my yes! My ds just turned 13 and I'll bet he would sleep until suppertime if we left him alone. I remember wanting to sleep a lot when I was a teen, too. I think it's pretty normal because all of my IRL friends with kids the same age range say the same thing.

As far as dealing with it, we make sure he's in bed by 10pm to be up by 8am. That gives him 10 hours, theoretically, although he often doesn't fall asleep for an hour. Still, that is a decent amount of sleep for a growing teen. On weekends, we don't bother him at all. He usually has something he wants to do on the weekends, so that's his incentive to get up at a decent time.

My 13yo dd seems to need about 12 hours a night. I let her sleep in. She still gets her schoolwork done, so even though I sort of cringe when she doesn't start til 10:30, I figure her body knows what it needs. I'm grateful we're able to adjust with her body/hormones instead of having to pry her out of bed at 6:30 to catch a bus. She'd be miserable.

:iagree:A lot of wisdom here. I'm on my 2nd teen and what the OP describes is totally normal around here.