Menu

What is your favorite passage of scripture and why?

I absolutely love Psalm 51. I was reading it this morning and thinking it might be my favorite. I have also always loved 2 Chronicles 7:14 and Isaiah 40:31.

Oh why? I love Psalm 51 because it resonates to me God's forgiveness. Same with 2 Chronicles 7:14. And Isaiah 40:31 just keeps me going when I want to drop!

Philippians 4:4-7 (Actually, this entire chapter, but these verses have spoken to me in times of trouble and turmoil.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5 Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is [c]near. 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all [d]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 3:5-6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5*Trust in the*Lord*with all your heart

And*do not lean on your own understanding.

6*In all your ways*acknowledge Him,

And He will*make your paths straight.

This is my favorite verse because I often need to be reminded not to rely on my own understanding, and also to trust in Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5*Trust in the*Lord*with all your heart

And*do not lean on your own understanding.

6*In all your ways*acknowledge Him,

And He will*make your paths straight.

This is my favorite verse because I often need to be reminded not to rely on my own understanding, and also to trust in Him.

One of my favorites too, though I prefer the KJV ;)

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This is NIV. Not the version I usually prefer but I really like the way this sounds more, even though it means the same thing in the others.

This is my favorite because it reminds me that I am in God's hand and He has things all worked out for me, even when I don't see it and can't imagine how things are ever going to be good from where I am at that moment.

There are so many, but as far as being a parent/teacher (and back when I was a church worker), I love Deuteronomy 6:4-9:

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

This is the passage I think of when we're literally outside walking and talking about the Bible...it motivates everything I do in raising my children.

Psalm 27:13 has been on my desk for a lot of years now. I first found it in grad school on a daily flip calendar. It has cheered me in a lot of situations over the years when I was tempted to hopelessness and discouragement. I guess that sounds terrible, but sometimes life is hard and confusing, and this verse meant a lot. It's just that basic thought that you can keep going because there's going to be something better ahead. David himself was a man who had a lot of dark confusing times, hiding in caves, dealing with battles and deaths. "I would have despaired, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." (NASB)

I have so many that it is hard to pick but right now I have been meditating on Is.43:1-3

This scripture starts out by assuring me that my relationship with my Heavenly Father is person, not only to me but to Him. It says He has called me by name. There is something about recognizing that He knows me, my name and He uses my name in calling me to Him.

Then it continues on to assure me that He is with me no matter what I am going through. He is with me through the waters that seem to want to over flow me and He is with me through the fire of life. One time when I was meditating on this scripture He reminded me of the 3 Israel children being thrown into the fiery furnace and coming out without a hair on their heads singed nor did they smell of the fire. He assured that as I rely on Him the results will be the same for us. I don't believe that this means we won't have any life lessons from our flooding/fiery experiences but that we will not have the scares in our spirit. I believe that this can encompass so many areas.

Ok, I will stop. I could preach on this scripture. :D

By the way, GREAT THREAD!