Menu

Touting home businesses on facebook?

Is this becoming an epidemic or is it just me? I totally understand using facebook as a way to tout your home business to a degree but it's getting crazy. I've gotten invitations to several home parties this week. I'd say I get 2-5 invites a month from various people. Then there are the people touting supplements, books, purses, etc. I actually took a friend off my favorites list because EVERY post she writes is about how she's lost a ton of weight using this supplement and why don't we all try it??? UGH!!! What to do?

Everyone I know who does this has a separate business page and they give you the option of following that or not.

:iagree: My business page is separate from my personal page and I have 35x more "likes" on my business page than I have FB friends. But that's because I only have two FB friends, LOL. When I did have an active personal page, I'd make a bunch of posts on my fan page touting my business (that's what it's for), and then occasionally post a general post on my personal wall inviting anyone interested to check out my fan page.

I set up a business page for my Etsy shop. Since mine isn't even a week old I have shared it on my regular FB page twice but I don't plan on doing that very often at all. I agree, I get really annoyed at all of the business announcements -- Scentsy, 31 handbags, Usborne books, Body by Vi, and all of the photographers. Gah.

I'm in the same position. I also have 3-5 "invites" a month from people for their Pampered Chef show or their 31 Party or whatever. I see their posts about their photography, candles, embroidery, bags, kitchen equipment, knit items, etc. These are ALL personal friend pages, not business pages.

Let me guess.....Body by Vi?

It seems like EVERYONE is doing that one now!

Dawn

Is this becoming an epidemic or is it just me? I totally understand using facebook as a way to tout your home business to a degree but it's getting crazy. I've gotten invitations to several home parties this week. I'd say I get 2-5 invites a month from various people. Then there are the people touting supplements, books, purses, etc. I actually took a friend off my favorites list because EVERY post she writes is about how she's lost a ton of weight using this supplement and why don't we all try it??? UGH!!! What to do?

A month ago, one of my FB friends "casually" mentioned how excited she was to receive an order of Shaklee laundry and cleaning products. After she used them, she raved about them several times. Then ... *surprise surprise* ... she mentioned that she was working on her Shaklee webpage. Then she started taking the vitamins and OHMYGOSH they were so amazing, she felt SO energetic and she could TOTALLY tell when she missed a dose. Then she announces she's become a distributor and it's all giveaways, "check out my blog" and "like my Facebook page" and "listening to webinar right now" and "can't believe I'm getting paid to hang out online and blog about Shaklee." She even has another friend constantly post comments like "I tried the stuff I bought from you and it's amazing!"

I've hidden her feed, but I can't stop checking it to see whether she's outdone herself. :ack2:

A month ago, one of my FB friends "casually" mentioned how excited she was to receive an order of Shaklee laundry and cleaning products. After she used them, she raved about them several times. Then ... *surprise surprise* ... she mentioned that she was working on her Shaklee webpage. Then she started taking the vitamins and OHMYGOSH they were so amazing, she felt SO energetic and she could TOTALLY tell when she missed a dose. Then she announces she's become a distributor and it's all giveaways, "check out my blog" and "like my Facebook page" and "listening to webinar right now" and "can't believe I'm getting paid to hang out online and blog about Shaklee." She even has another friend constantly post comments like "I tried the stuff I bought from you and it's amazing!"

I've hidden her feed, but I can't stop checking it to see whether she's outdone herself. :ack2:

:lol: Normally what other people put on FB doesn't really bother me, but I have a few of these trainwrecks and it's kind of funny.

I'm fully expecting a friend's product to clean her house by itself one of these days. :tongue_smilie:

I'm avoiding facebook for awhile. 90% funny images being reposted or political stuff. I miss the old days, when people wrote a personal message about what was happening in their lives. (Oh, and don't let me start on the repost this if you love Jesus/care about kids/know someone who's battled cancer/etc.)

You might try setting the person(s) to only important messages - I did that with one rather annoying acquaintance, and it's worked perfectly.