Menu

A thing I love aboug hsing - Reading great children's books!

tammyw

This past year I decided to mostly just read the books at my dd9's level (the books she reads on her own rather than read-alouds). I thought it would give us more opportunity to discuss books and just enjoy them together. I have to say, I'm loving this. I didn't read many of these books as a kid. I remember reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe because I saw the cartoon, but I had no idea there was an entire series. I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I was in the play version at school, but I had no idea that Roald Dahl had so many amazing books (I don't think I even paid attention to author names as a kid). I read lots of Nancy Drew books, but I don't recall reading a lot of other stuff. Sad!

So here I am at 40 years old reading Understood Betsy for the first time and loving it!! We just finished The Great Brain this week as a family read aloud - fantastic! We can't wait to get the others as well. (Though I have to admit the last chapter on suicide made me feel uncomfortable at first, albeit funny at the same time.)

Now we're going to start Little Britches and I can't wait. DH grew up in Denver, and we're hoping to possibly move there in 1.5 years when DH hits 20 years with the military.

I just really love being able to get lost in children's books! And I fantasize about my kids someday writing great books.

I could've written your same post! I read constantly as a child, but I just wish someone had pointed me in the right direction to read better quality books and pay more attention to author names. So glad I have the opportunity to share all this with my daughter and to experience all the great books that I missed as a child myself.

Me too! We are loving all the reading we're doing this year. I'm trying to carve out time to read one-on-one with the kids now, so that I can get through books like Understood Betsy with dd, and The Thief Lord with ds.

Right now we're really enjoying The Marvelous Land of Oz as a family bedtime story - while I did read most of the Oz series as a kid myself, I love revisiting it with them!

I just know that if I wasn't homeschooling, I'd never be reading all these books. Our library history over the past two years has us taking over 3000 books out. In two years! Plus the many, many amazon purchases. I feel like I get to relive my childhood through these amazing books.

I just know that if I wasn't homeschooling, I'd never be reading all these books. Our library history over the past two years has us taking over 3000 books out. In two years! Plus the many, many amazon purchases. I feel like I get to relive my childhood through these amazing books.

I wish our library kept a history. How neat!

I read Understood Betsy when I was 9--it was one of the selections in a book club through school. I could hardly wait to read it to my dc. And I do NOT understand why it isn't at the top of required reading lists. Honestly. :001_wub:

Reading children's books so I would know which ones my children might enjoy was a good excuse for hanging out in the children's section of the library. :lol:

I started doing this last winter. Some of my bipolar friends/neighbors/students get depressed around the winter solstice. I started climbing on their beds when they wouldn't get up, and read them the most ridiculous books until they were willing to do anything to get me to stop.

I'm collecting books to get ready for this winter. This is skills time now, between the manias and the depression, and lit just isn't a priority. It's cram time while brains are clear.

Bump this thread in a couple months and I'll have LOTS to say :lol:

"The Great Brain" series is what turned me into a reader in fourth grade! Our teacher read the first one to us.

You know, I kept looking at this book at an online book sale because I didn't know whether it was good or not. Now I know.

Honestly, there have been so many children's classics that I never had a chance to read until homeschooling. Finding the best books for DD (not just in terms of literary value) is so much fun.

We just started reading Guardians of Ga'hoole. Wow, the owl facts alone fascinate Dd, not to mention the story line. I had no idea that a movie version was made based on the book. I mean, I saw the trailer, but didn't know about the series until last week.

I'm with you! Not this current year but last year I decided to do the 52 Books In 52 Weeks Challenge WITH my daughter as read alouds and it was so much fun (even though it was hard trying to read every book aloud within a week lol). I read tons when I was a kid, so it was fun revisiting some of my old favorites with her, and fun discovering books I'd never read as a kid. We decided not to do the challenge again this year just because it was kind of hard/stressful picking books that were long enough for the challenge but short enough that we could finish it within a week and doing that week after week for an entire year... but we still read aloud together just for fun. :)

I could not agree more. Several of my all-time favorite books are now kids' books: Baree, Anne of Green Gables, Call of the Wild and, of course, the Narnia series (especially The Silver Chair). I read Call of the Wild with my 8 yo last year, and it would be time for him to read his assigned chapter, and I'd push him off, "Go play with Legos, watch TV, annoy your sister," just so I could read more of COTW. I know, I know, there goes my Mom of the Year award, again. Why didn't anyone ever tell me about these gems???

Terri

YES! I could have written this post too!

I loved reading when I was a kid, I remember poring over books at my library and picking out whatever books had the prettiest covers. I remember reading The Little Princess, Heidi and Little Women over and over, and I had a children's poetry collection that I read to tatters.

This past year I've been reading tons of children's lit as I work on my curriculum - there are so many amazing books! I've always said, a good story is a good story - Trumpet of the Swan is a beautiful story whether you're 8 or 88.