Menu

Study of Architecture?

cheryljill

Hi all,

I will be teaching an Intro to Architecture class at our homeschool co-op for children who are between the ages of 8 and 11. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for resources? I have several good architecture books and am looking for ideas for hands-on projects that are not expensive and not terribly time- or labor- intensive. I haven't had much luck with the searching I've done online. Anyone?

Thanks!

Steven Caney's Ultimate Building Book http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Ultimate-Building-Book/dp/0762404094/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3O72DBBXGQZ97&coliid=I3KWIOOMM1R0Y4 would be a good resource from the engineering perspective. Through building with everyday materials (straws, rolled newspaper tubes, etc) kids can experiment with tension, compression, load, torsion, and so on. My dd12 loves this book.

Steven Caney's Ultimate Building Book http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Ultimate-Building-Book/dp/0762404094/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3O72DBBXGQZ97&coliid=I3KWIOOMM1R0Y4 would be a good resource from the engineering perspective. Through building with everyday materials (straws, rolled newspaper tubes, etc) kids can experiment with tension, compression, load, torsion, and so on. My dd12 loves this book.

:iagree: We LOVE this book! This is one for the grandkids. Lots of practical ideas with uber cheap materials. A real winner. It has hands-on projects, hows and whys, technical info, cultural/historic examples of different types of buildings, etc. Your library might have it. It's pricey right now. I think I got it used for less than $10.

Also, The Art of Construction has some good info and activities, although I vastly prefer the very kid-friendly format of the Caney book.

You have probably come across this, but just in case...

Terri

This is fabulous too. We love the whole set of these. The architecture set is more about the cultural history and art of architecture than about the how and why of construction (compared to the books above, which are much more technical), so the perspective of the class will determine which resources would be most useful.

Saw this "Complete-A-Sketch" book (thanks to Golden Grass's blog post) & think Isometric / Perspective stuff would be nice. I know when I took Engineering that drafting/drawing was one of the first classes we had to take.

It looks like you can order from Rainbow Resources or various other homeschool material suppliers.

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions! I will be requesting a lot of these books from our library. I've got a stack of architecture books and it includes none of the ones mentioned in this thread. ;)

You have probably come across this, but just in case...

Terri

Question about the Calvert books: I see that this is a text, a set of cards, and is the third thing a workbook? Is it the kind of thing that I could use for take-home assignments? I'm very intrigued by this set, but it's a bit expensive. I could justify the cost if it will save me from having to reinvent the wheel (or rebuild the skyscraper, as it were....)

I've been :drool: since I looked at the link you provided last night! I can't see how much they are or how to order though. :confused: It has to be right in front of my face, right?

Rosie

I didn't find anything on the site, but when I googled "Archiquest", a bunch of links to buy them came up.