ElizabethB Posted September 4, 2012 Share Posted September 4, 2012 (edited) I have been allergic to our basement since we moved her 2 years ago. Now, either I or whatever is down there is getting worse and it is seeping upstairs. My mom got an asthma attack down there, and I get a headache, nausea, and I feel dizzy and my heart rate goes up to a bit over 100. The effect is worse in the basement but recently was a mild headache up here if the kids went in and out of the basement too much. No one else has any problems down there. My family and a neighbor removed everything and all the stuff is now in the garage, so it is something in the basement. We had it tested for mold and VOCs in the carpet, both were negative. I have an allergen room filter down there, and one on the main floor, and one upstairs. They do help. The AC and furnace are down there. We also have a radon system. Our radon was slightly elevated before the radon system was installed. There is also a sump pump that has never even turned on once, even before this drought. After the clean out, my husband dusted and vacuumed and swept and then washed down the walls on the unfinished side, all the dust on that side went down the drain. We had a well respected environmental company come look and do the VOC and mold testing. They do work for large companies in the area as well as residential work. It has gotten worse lately and I have to hide on the top floor and open up the house to cook on the main floor. Any ideas? We really don't want an extra move, but will have to if we can't fix this. My husband has also tried fans down there and various airing out the house schemes, changing which vents and windows are open and blowing air down the stairs. Edited September 4, 2012 by ElizabethB Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.