Menu

How much to put a teen on your insurance???

DS(17) just got his license. How much is it typical to pay to add him to your insurance and who do you have for insurance? We switch to USAA and our rates went down...but when we did the quote online they want $200 more per month. WTH???:glare:

From what I've heard from moms with older kids, that is pretty typical. "No matter how old they are, the first 2 years are very expensive." But I've also heard it goes down a bit over that 2 years as they continue to drive well.

We have USAA and that's about how much it was to add dd age 16. Ask for every discount you can. Make a report card if you can get a good student discount. (NC doesn't allow it. :glare: ) We'll add another child in about 7 months. But hopefully, oldest will b off before youngest is on. Boys cost more than girls.

Kids (esp. unmarried males) cost a mint - our insurance nearly doubled (NJ) when we added my son years ago. Unfortunately it's the way it goes.

USAA is fantastic, we love their services - have you tried their checking account? It gets you a (small) discount on the insurance and it's really great.

It depends on what state you're in since insurance rates in general vary so much from state to state.

Also, when we added DS to our State Farm insurance we found that it matters if you have a third vehicle. Because we do have a third vehicle, and he is the third licensed driver in the family, they automatically assume he has full time access to that vehicle. In our case it's true, but of course it might not be true in all families.

For him it's costing us about $1200 the first year. State Farm assumes the vehicle he has access to is 10 years old. If he remains accident free for the first year (we're two months away from that) then the cost will drop by about fifty percent. If he remains accident free the following year the rate will drop again so that by the time he's 18 we'll be paying the same rate for him as we do for DH and me. As said above, the first two years are expensive.

It depends on what state you're in since insurance rates in general vary so much from state to state.

Also, when we added DS to our State Farm insurance we found that it matters if you have a third vehicle. Because we do have a third vehicle, and he is the third licensed driver in the family, they automatically assume he has full time access to that vehicle. In our case it's true, but of course it might not be true in all families.

For him it's costing us about $1200 the first year. State Farm assumes the vehicle he has access to is 10 years old. If he remains accident free for the first year (we're two months away from that) then the cost will drop by about fifty percent. If he remains accident free the following year the rate will drop again so that by the time he's 18 we'll be paying the same rate for him as we do for DH and me. As said above, the first two years are expensive.

Do you mean that the insurance is more expensive because you have a third car (and full time access) as opposed to only 2 cars and sharing them?

A jump of at least 30% is normal. If the child is a boy, that is often much higher. Boys are known for reckless driving, accidents, and tickets. I have also seen policies double.

Check to see which car the teen is attached to as the primary driver. Sometimes insurance companies will automatically add the teen to the newest, and /or most expensive vehicle as a driver unless you have the teen assigned to a lower cost vehicle, or one of their own. If they are assigned to the newest, and/or most expensive car, the rates will be even more.

Do you mean that the insurance is more expensive because you have a third car (and full time access) as opposed to only 2 cars and sharing them?

That was my understanding. That because we had a third car it was assumed he had constant access to a vehicle and therefore would be driving more than a teen in a two-parent home where there were just two vehicles.

Your additional $200/month is a bit higher than when we added ours on... but a big factor is age/model of car. If they're assigned to a truck, it's higher than a sedan, for example. We also got a good student discount and formal drivers ed discount. It was around $80/month additional for us.... until he had his first wreck :blink:.

That was my understanding. That because we had a third car it was assumed he had constant access to a vehicle and therefore would be driving more than a teen in a two-parent home where there were just two vehicles.

That's how ours worked too.

Not necessarily. It would depend partly on what that vehicle was. My friend's dd will be getting an older vehicle, that doesn't require full coverage. Her insurance w/ State Farm will only be going up about $50. And she won't be added to their newer minivan at all. Most insurances add the kid to all vehicles, regardless. From talking to my friends (as we are all going through this right now), State Farm seems to be the cheapest for teens. We have Allstate, and I haven't even asked them yet. I'm kind of scared to. :tongue_smilie:

We have State Farm and I have two kiddos on our policy. They each have their own vehicles (ds has a Ford Taurus, dd has a BMW) and I drive a Toyota Sienna mini-van. We pay $196 per month, with good student discounts. Utah is a cheap auto insurance state....and I am grateful. :D

My dh called our insurance company and they quoted us $600 per year to add my son to our existing policy - 2 cars. They also said that they don't add them until they get their license, and we don't pay extra during the learner's permit phase, (6 months in TX).

At first when we added first teen, our insurance co. tried to charge for 3 cars 3 drivers when we only had 2 cars and 3 drivers. I complained, then it was decided that ds and I were part time drivers since we shared a car. So it only went up about $30 a month to add him. Now we are 3 cars, 4 drivers (dd just got license). Putting both dc on one car didn't make dd's insurance go up at all. It went up $60/month to add 3rd car. But if we add a 4th car, it will be $1600 more a year (ouch!). We have all older cars (12+ yrs. old). And all cars are in our names, not kids. If cars are in the kids' names, then they have to get their own policies and that costs a lot more.

We were a family with clean driving records and added a teen girl. We went from less than $100 a month to $400 a month, and that was with only 1 car on full coverage and none of the 3 cars even close to new. That was with Farmer's Insurance. We switched to Geico and never looked back.

Well we are investigating all different companies and will switch our house to make it a better savings hopefully. We had Allstate for years and then dropped them when they bumped it up. We may go back if they can be competitive.