Menu

Have lots of bell peppers-what to make for dinner?

I have six bell peppers, red, orange and yellow.

I was going to make 4 stuffed peppers for dinner, however, I don't want that anymore.

I don't need to use them all up at once, but does anyone have any ideas or recipes that involve bell peppers? Something new and exciting would be great!

My Sil makes this as a salad for every family event...it is wonderful and super easy.

Cut up peppers into long strips.

Toss with Feta Cheese and Italian dresssing.

It's really easy and good. Goes well with anything...grilled chicken/burgers, etc. Or you could make it and then add to pasta or rice or couscous as a main dish.

We vegans, so I just sauteed the peppers (red and green) with some slices of sweet onion and chunks of left-over baked potatoes, mixed it all into some tomato sauce and served them open-face on sub rolls.

It went over big with my husband, who asked me to add it to the regular meal rotation (as if we did anything that organized!). My kids didn't care for the sauteed veggies and just ate the bread and sauce with some fruit and a glass of soy milk on the side.

Pepper salad (DH's favorite meal)

1. Broil (or grill) peppers, rotate until evenly crisp.

2. Place in bag or closed container until cool. Peel skin.

3. Slice. Throw away center.

4. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic as desired. Vinegar is optional.

5. Can be served warm or cold.

DD and DH swear that's how I show I love them :) (I dislike peppers, but they derive joy from the meal.)

Here's a great summertime salad that uses bell peppers:

It's called Avacado Salsa, from Taste of Home, 1998

1 pkg frozen,fresh or canned corn drained

2 cans sliced black olives, drained

2 med bell peppers, use whatever color you like, chopped

1 sm onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced. adjust to taste

4 med. ripe avacados, cubed

I also add cilantro, 1 bunch, washed and chopped

olive oil and lemon juice

spices: try oregeno, fresh ground pepper, cumin, etc.

Blend altogether and chill. Serve with tortilla chips or even pita bread

You can be creative and adjust the recipe to your taste, endless possibilities.

Here's a slow cooker recipe I posted on another thread--easy and yummy. You could definitely add more peppers. With the rest, you could cut up and eat raw. That's what my family loves the most.

Pollo Colorado

Slice 1-2 yellow onions and 2 red bell peppers; place in crockpot. Place 3-4 frozen chicken breasts on top of the veggies. Pour on top a 28-oz can of enchilada sauce. Cook on LOW until chicken is tender, 5-7 hours.

About a half hour to an hour before you serve, shred the chicken (or cut into chunks if you prefer, and return to sauce).

Serve as filling for tortillas. Add cheese, sour cream, or whatever you like on top.

Here's a slow cooker recipe I posted on another thread--easy and yummy. You could definitely add more peppers. With the rest, you could cut up and eat raw. That's what my family loves the most.

Pollo Colorado

Slice 1-2 yellow onions and 2 red bell peppers; place in crockpot. Place 3-4 frozen chicken breasts on top of the veggies. Pour on top a 28-oz can of enchilada sauce. Cook on LOW until chicken is tender, 5-7 hours.

About a half hour to an hour before you serve, shred the chicken (or cut into chunks if you prefer, and return to sauce).

Serve as filling for tortillas. Add cheese, sour cream, or whatever you like on top.

Man does this sound yummy. Do you use the green enchilada sauce? I know what we are having tomorrow.:drool:

This is a play on a Greek dish and it is my dh's favorite.

I cut in half and seed red bell peppers place them in a shallow baking pan with chicken breasts that have been deboned.

I drizzle all with olive oil and Greek herbs, oregano, garlic, ect.....

I then stuff each red pepper half with Feta cheese, sprinkle Feta on top of the chicken breasts and drizzle a bit more olive oil on top of all with a bit more herbs.

I then sprinkle top of every thing with red onions and sometimes diced tomato's. Stick in a 350 oven for 30 to 40 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breasts are. The Feta cheese in the pepper halves will get a bit brown on top and be a little crunchy. You won't need to salt the chicken much because the Feta is saltly.

Dh spent the first few years of his life in Greece and this is comfort food for him.