Menu

Another Latin question

we're using the cambridge latin course. it is amazing.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Lpage.php?p=clc^top^home

there are online activities you can do, too.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Lpage.php?p=clc^oa_intro^intro

and if along the way it gets too hard for you to teach, there is an option to have an online teacher from cambridge :001_smile:.

if only i could find a french course just like it!

hth,

ann

We have been using Rosetta stone for latin and we are not thrilled. I have read through many posts.

Would Latin prep, visual latin or Wheelock's be better for my ds16 and myself to learn latin?

Thank you

Kelli in AK

Wheelock's is a college-level text that is very heavy on grammar. It's a rigorous, intense, no-nonsense approach that IMHO requires a really solid understanding of grammar concepts and terminology before you start.

Visual Latin uses Lingua Latina, an "immersion" text written entirely in Latin. The Visual Latin videos are fairly light and humorous, but even when they are completed (the final 20 or so lessons aren't out yet), they will only cover about a year of HS Latin.

Latin Prep is a middle-school level program from the UK that is written in a humorous, irreverent style. It's more grammar based than LL, but much lighter than Wheelocks. As I understand it, the three levels of Latin Prep are equivalent to about 2 years of HS Latin. Galore Park also has a HS level Latin series called So You Really Want to Learn Latin that covers an additional year's worth of Latin, but it moves at a faster pace and is less humorous. Some people use Latin Prep 1/2/3 followed by SYRWTLL 3, or LP 1 & 2 followed by SYRWTLL 2 & 3, for 3 credits in Latin.

There are many other excellent Latin programs, as well as numerous online classes. Which one would be best for your son depends on many different factors:

(1) What are your goals? Just some vocab & grammar reinforcement? 2 yrs foreign language credit and call it done? Thorough prep for Latin courses in college?

(2) How much time you plan to devote to it? Are you looking for something to do 30 mins/day, 3 days/wk, or will it be an intensive, full-credit subject involving 5-8 hrs/week?

(3) How solid is your son's grammar background?

(4) Does he seem to do better with a step-by-step, parts-to-whole curriculum, or a more immersive, whole-to-parts program?

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Wheelock's is a college-level text that is very heavy on grammar. It's a rigorous, intense, no-nonsense approach that IMHO requires a really solid understanding of grammar concepts and terminology before you start.

Visual Latin uses Lingua Latina, an "immersion" text written entirely in Latin. The Visual Latin videos are fairly light and humorous, but even when they are completed (the final 20 or so lessons aren't out yet), they will only cover about a year of HS Latin.

Latin Prep is a middle-school level program from the UK that is written in a humorous, irreverent style. It's more grammar based than LL, but much lighter than Wheelocks. As I understand it, the three levels of Latin Prep are equivalent to about 2 years of HS Latin. Galore Park also has a HS level Latin series called So You Really Want to Learn Latin that covers an additional year's worth of Latin, but it moves at a faster pace and is less humorous. Some people use Latin Prep 1/2/3 followed by SYRWTLL 3, or LP 1 & 2 followed by SYRWTLL 2 & 3, for 3 credits in Latin.

There are many other excellent Latin programs, as well as numerous online classes. Which one would be best for your son depends on many different factors:

(1) What are your goals? Just some vocab & grammar reinforcement? 2 yrs foreign language credit and call it done? Thorough prep for Latin courses in college?

(2) How much time you plan to devote to it? Are you looking for something to do 30 mins/day, 3 days/wk, or will it be an intensive, full-credit subject involving 5-8 hrs/week?

(3) How solid is your son's grammar background?

(4) Does he seem to do better with a step-by-step, parts-to-whole curriculum, or a more immersive, whole-to-parts program?

Jackie

His Grammar is strong but mine is not. I was hoping we would learn together. For now he just wants 2 years hs foreign language. Basically 5 hours a week. I would say step by step.

I noticed that Latin prep has books, workbooks and answer books per level are all three needed?

TIA

Kelli in AK

His Grammar is strong but mine is not. I was hoping we would learn together. For now he just wants 2 years hs foreign language. Basically 5 hours a week. I would say step by step.

I noticed that Latin prep has books, workbooks and answer books per level are all three needed?

TIA

Kelli in AK

I would just use the Latin Prep text books and answer books. I would use the work books with a younger child who might need to move slower. This is Abbeyej's paragraph on how Latin Prep fits into US high school requirements:

.....(Latin Prep 1-3 = ~ 2 years of American high school Latin), and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 (which can be used after LP1-3) would count as an American high school Latin 3 class. You will also want to add some basic Roman history/culture in order to match the expectations for a high school language course. Students would be expected to know the basics of Roman government (and the evolution of that government), family structure, household, army and religion... Abbeyej

Laura

Why don't you like Rosetta Stone?

I was about to purchase it but would

welcome your experience and feedback before I do so.

We actually like Rosetta Stone for both Russian and Spanish. Eventually mine will take those languages through the community college, but Rosetta Stone has worked out well for an introductory, practice-oriented program. I'm calling it "Russian Culture and Conversation", etc. on the transcript and beefing it up with some cultural material.

For Latin. Nope. Latin is primarily a written language now, and is best learned that way. For that we used Henle in 7th-8th grade, and then Wheelock's and I have one using the Wheelock's Lit book now and then AP Latin next year.

We actually like Rosetta Stone for both Russian and Spanish. Eventually mine will take those languages through the community college, but Rosetta Stone has worked out well for an introductory, practice-oriented program. I'm calling it "Russian Culture and Conversation", etc. on the transcript and beefing it up with some cultural material.

For Latin. Nope. Latin is primarily a written language now, and is best learned that way. For that we used Henle in 7th-8th grade, and then Wheelock's and I have one using the Wheelock's Lit book now and then AP Latin next year.

Yes, I was surprised to hear that Rosetta stone would even do a Latin set. While for most languages the Holy Grail would be being able to speak and listen in the language, with reading come in a distant third to those goals, with Latin there is NO need to speak or listen but only to translate out of Latin which makes it a vastly different beast.

We looked at Lukeion but the class times did not work for us.

I do not like Rosetta stone because the software crashes often on our computer and even set to focus on reading and writing Latin it is mostly spoken you listen and repeat. I will order the Galore park Latin Prep and see if that is more tolerable.

Thank you

Kelli

How do visual latin and latin prep differ, other than delivery methods? Is one grammar based or vocab, immersion? Is one way better than another?

TIA

Kelli

Latin Prep is grammar and vocabulary based. It has the student using the grammar and words immediately, however, translating from Latin to English and English to Latin. I highly recommend having a look at the samples on the Galore Park website to see if it suits you.

Laura

Latin Prep is grammar and vocabulary based. It has the student using the grammar and words immediately, however, translating from Latin to English and English to Latin. I highly recommend having a look at the samples on the Galore Park website to see if it suits you.

:iagree:

There are also video samples on the Visual Latin website. As I mentioned earlier, VL uses the Lingua Latina text, which is an immersion text written entirely in Latin, and the lectures only cover 1 year of Latin.

If you are interested in 2 years of Latin credit, with step-by-step instruction and a grammar focus, you'd probably prefer either Latin Prep or their HS level program, So You Really Want to Learn Latin. There are extensive samples for both Latin programs on the Galore Park website.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

:iagree:

There are also video samples on the Visual Latin website. As I mentioned earlier, VL uses the Lingua Latina text, which is an immersion text written entirely in Latin, and it only covers 1 year of Laitn.

If you are interested in 2 years of Latin credit, with step-by-step instruction and a grammar focus, you'd probably prefer either Latin Prep or their HS level program, So You Really Want to Learn Latin. There are extensive samples for both Latin programs on the Galore Park website.

Jackie

I am just getting ready to do an Open House for my online Latin classes, if anyone wants to join in just to see what its like! You are welcome.

From 2-3 PM today...just follow this link and come on in.. "sit a spell and talk clever!" as

they say in the Appalachians. :)

http://www.wiziq.com/online-class/940439-latin-i-orientation-session

I am just getting ready to do an Open House for my online Latin classes, if anyone wants to join in just to see what its like! You are welcome.

From 2-3 PM today...just follow this link and come on in.. "sit a spell and talk clever!" as

they say in the Appalachians. :)

http://www.wiziq.com/online-class/940439-latin-i-orientation-session

Sorry--it was rescheduled. :)

Beth

http://www.harveycenter.org

Edited by Beth in Mint Hill

• 2 weeks later...

To start and FINISH 2 years of high school Latin, with a mom with little or no previous experience, I recommend Henle. We've been having some good Latin conversation over at the k-8 board. I don't usually post over here, but the link came up when I was searching for another thread.

has anyone ever used Latin's Not So Tough?
I have not, but I will chime in to say that Classical Conversations used to use Latin's Not So Tough. Last year they started piloting using Henle instead, and the feedbac is that the families overwhelmingly prefer Henle to Latin's Not so Tough.

I keep hearing that Latin's Not So Tough wasn't presented in a logical manner, and that often times the sentences were just "weird" or non-sensical.

I have no experience with LNST, and I'm learning with Henle now, so I have zero basis for personal comparison.

....Latin is primarily a written language now, and is best learned that way. For that we used Henle in 7th-8th grade, and then Wheelock's and I have one using the Wheelock's Lit book now and then AP Latin next year.

I agree with this! Many years ago when I was trying to learn Latin with my sons I used Artes Latinae, but I longed for a more traditional textbook approach. Along came a university class in Wheelock's with Dale Grote (author of The Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's) --we were living right down the street from the university where he taught and so I took a summer class. This was back in 1997! I loved it, and have been teaching it more and more ever since.

I realized that I loved the fact that I had the inductive program to supplement the textbook with, but it wasn't suitable by itself. If you just add a simple workbook/ textbook to a program like Rosetta, then it might work for you. There is a lot of value in having that audio input! :)

My middle son (who was very dyslexic) loved Latin so much that when he was in the 82nd Airborne and was talking to me on the phone one day, he asked me to please send him his Latin textbook.

Talk about shock!! Lol... He hoped to review it when they had time off during the coldest winter months in the mountains of Afghanistan. And this was my most reluctant student back in our homeschooling days!

Its probably not too late to get in on Live Online classes either (it's not at our center where the class sessions are recorded and available for review). And there are the excellent courses at Potters, Lukeion, etc. Perhaps they'd have openings, too.

Guest ErinMadsen

Our 14 yo dd is eager to learn Latin. She does not have any foreign language background. Cost is a factor - I have $100 budgeted. Ideal program would, with minor supplements, work for our other children as they grow.

What program would you recommend? Why? We live in Utah County, Utah.

Thank you!

Erin

Our 14 yo dd is eager to learn Latin. She does not have any foreign language background. Cost is a factor - I have $100 budgeted. Ideal program would, with minor supplements, work for our other children as they grow.

What program would you recommend? Why? We live in Utah County, Utah.

Thank you!

Erin

Hello Erin,

Latin is a very difficult subject to master without interaction with a teacher,

but here is what I would recommend for someone on a very limited budget. It is a more difficult and challenging route than buying one of the packaged curricula for elementary school, but Oh! so much more satisfying:

If you want to get through about one year of Latin on your own with books and supplemental material, you should use a good textbook (any of the high school books such as Wheelock's) along with all of the free resources online and on youtube. There are some other very good ones, like Latin for the New Millenium but they are all so much more expensive than Wheelock's.

But after about Ch 10 of Wheelock's a student usually needs a lot of support and feedback. And another reason I recommend Wheelock's is that there are so many great free resources online to go with it. I've listed my favorite links here. After about 2/3 of a Latin I course, the student will need some support from a tutor or some such support, because to truly master Latin is very difficult on ones own.

The "Latin Study" list is the only place you can find this for free, and it's great support for a very motivated student! Here is the link for more information about the Latin Study list. One of the best sources on youtube for great free tutorials is produced by someone under the name "latintutorial." I've seen lots of bits at youtube, but his are top-notch, but they are mostly over some of the more advanced concepts, so in the beginning for the most basic concepts look for others Latin tutorials!

Also, I have a workbook that I developed to provide easy practice through more that half of the chapters in Wheelock's. (You can see samples of Studium Latinae at Lulu.com )

The reason I recommend this track rather than the really easy elementary books or programs is that once you and your oldest student begin truly learning the Latin, then it will be easy for you to teach the younger ones with a few workbook pages and activities. Just mastering the first 5-6 chapters of Wheelock's will give you enough knowledge to work through two years of Latina Christiana! All you would need are my workbooks (Studium Latinae/Latina Ponti) or Memoria Press' workbooks--or something similar. You won't need expensive programs designed to teach just an introductory Latin program to younger children.

Beatum studium!

Edited by Beth in Mint Hill