Menu

Article: Why College Football Should Be Banned

Why College Football Should Be Banned

Does anyone else thing it's time for the separation of school and sports? Or at least college and sports?

I like how it's done in Canada (or at least in Ontario when I was growing up): Athletic scholarships are not allowed, or are severely limited in number.

Edited by nmoira

When we head into the US I'm always blown away with how the schools seem to be centered around sports. Up here they are in the school, and are thoroughly enjoyed, but the school does not focus so much on them.

There are no football or basketball scholarships, but the there are still college football and basketball teams. The emphasis seems to be placed on the academics a little more though with sports being, well, just sports, a healthy active, fun past time.

I thought about trying out for the womens' soccer team at my division III college. I decided not to, partly because some of the games were a four hour drive away. Many of the games would require missing a whole day of classes. I thought that was ridiculous and didn't see how I could do well in my classes if I had to spend so much time traveling for soccer, plus practices every day.

I decided not to play. I enjoyed several years of intramural soccer instead. All the fun, none of the pressure. I can't imagine how athletes can attempt difficult majors at division I or II schools. Traveling and science labs don't mix.

Wow, that's pretty dramatic. I don't see college football going away in my lifetime. If they did that, I recommend also doing away with the basketball programs, which generate millions and millions of dollars for the NCAA (see: March Madness) while the players do not get anything. Sure, they might get free tuition, but the rules are so strict that anything else (even a dinner out) can get you sanctioned. The players are being exploited. Perhaps willingly, but exploited all the same.

I like the idea of a minor league financed by the NFL, and also the NBA. Baseball does this. Basically college football and basketball are free farming grounds for NFL and NBA.

It's too bad college athletics have gotten so far afield of the original goal of creating a well-rounded person.

The article mentioned New Mexico State---interesting, because the conference NMSU is in, the WAC, will likely no longer be playing football at all after this year. So unless they move to another division (and really, who would want a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in 50 years?), it's no more football there at all. That would sure ease the budget for them, as they would no longer need 70% subsidies for their program.

In a lot of ways, sports being one of them, (and the bankabilty of the degree,) ---college is becoming more and more like expensive high school without parental guidance.

Except that at least in high school, games are rarely more than an hour away (at least in suburban areas) and never interfere with classes.

One of my kids first went to a school with AAA football (no scholarships) and then to a school with no football at all, though it did have NCAA basketball and was in March Madness at least several times. I am not sure why single out football. IF the colleges are not spending money wisely, I don't care if it is football or elaborate student centers or what have you. Then their trustees should fix that situation.

My dd goes to one of the big football schools= she didn't go because of football and football doesn't take money away from her school. In fact, she probably has her full tuition scholarship because alumnis like the football. She may very well not only get a free college education but a free masters because of football. As to the guys who play? Well it seems that the ones who were in the football signing thing all got jobs. Not only did they get jobs, they got very, very well paid jobs. As to brain trauma and all the rest, one of my boyfriends in college has played football in high school and was absolutely adamant that none of his kids (in the future, since he didn't have any) would ever play football. I married a non football player and our son never wanted to play. BUt I just think people have freedom of choice= taking the chances of playing football is one of those. I can think of things much more harmful than football which others around here have decided are their choices.

I went to a college that was AAA football very intentionally-as a music major, I knew that at any Division I or II football school, you'd be stuck playing marching band at least 2 years, often 4-and that marching band was ridiculously time consuming because you'd not only be dealing with those 5-10 hours of rehearsals a week (for 1, count it, 1 college credit hour that, as a music major, was pretty much useless because you were going to have more ensemble credits than you'd ever need before you graduated anyway), but having every Saturday lost during fall semester, every other weekend lost (often traveling Friday and Sunday) for out of area games, and often, losing either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or both due to bowl games. Since I find watching football incredibly boring and marching with a saxophone painful, I chose a school where the band wasn't worried about being featured on national TV, and therefore the music faculty were just as happy to leave it to non-music majors who had enjoyed marching band in high school and wanted to get into games free, while the music majors played in Wind symphony and orchestra.

I hope not.

I love sports. I think they can definitely have problems, but I also think they can be wonderfully healthy on many levels. I am of course going to be biased as I have 4 very athletic children and a dh who was offered and assortment of athletic scholarships.

Except that at least in high school, games are rarely more than an hour away (at least in suburban areas) and never interfere with classes.

Not where we live... :glare:

My nephew will be a Freshman this year. His golf team has a match at a school about 1 1/2 hours away (one way) the night before school starts.

So...that's 3 hours on the road and whatever time it takes to play a match plus time to change up and get everyone back on the bus...oh, and don't forget the stop at McDonald's on the way home.

They'll be lucky to be home before 11 PM...

. I don't have a problem with football program as long as the school not treating it as a money tree, and treat those kids like a student with standard expectation. . There are too many school nowadays will take any type of kids from the street so long they can play football.