Menu

8 year old with seasonal allergies....advice please

My DS 8 suffers thorugh seasonal allergies every fall...and most falls we just muddle through. But I feel so badly that he is so congested. We have tired every OTC med and homepathic allergy med I can find. Is there anything else I can try before taking him to the doctor? His one and only symptom is a severe stuffy nose that makes it really hard to breathe at night...and that sometimes bothers him during the day as well...but not as bad (or at least he doesn't complain.). Please give me some thoughts here. THANKS!!!!!

I haven't tried this yet, but the other day on Pinterest was a post (complete with links to medical studies) that said that a B5 supplement stopped allergic Rhinitis faster than antihistamine would.

I had allergies as a child, back then most antihistimines were prescription. I cycled through them all and finally settled on that the only one that works for me is Benadryl, and it doesn't cause drowsiness as long as I am actually having an allergic reaction (and not a cold).

As a kid, Benadryl made me hyper.

One other thing- you might have your child drink more water. Histamine is one of the ways that your body manages water, and more of it is released when you're dehydrated.

I missed the part about it being bad at night before. That makes me think that there's something in his room that he's allergic too. Probably dust, but if he's in a humid spot in the house it could be mold too. Or even a pet, if there is one that snuggles with him at night, but not so much during the day.

Clean out his room. Use a sanitary cycle on your washer for the bedding (Or if you don't have one, get a big pot and boil his sheets before you wash them). If he has a comforter, switch it for an easier-to wash bedspread or blanket.

Get rid of everything that collects dust. Wash the curtains or blinds.

Use a HEPA filter vaccum and get the floor and the mattress (even if it's a wood floor, dust can collect in the cracks). Take out the vent covers and clean the vents out as far as you can reach too.

Do you know how much Vit b5 (and how often) I would give an 8 year old (smaller in size too)? I don't think it's dust...becasue it is only in the late summer, early fall he suffers...his dad has the same issue....but has found an OTC drug he can use...

thanks.

Um, no. But I do know that B vitamins are water soluable, so it's unlikely to overdose on them. Try giving him half a tablet with a full glass of water 20-30 minutes before bedtime and see if it helps.

Over $1000 in allergist bills later, DD, who suffers from seasonal allergies, is on Allegra over the counter. With all the testing they did, etc you would think they had a wiz bang cure. I am going to try b5-thanks for the tip. Also, I have heard that a teaspoon a day of honey that is locally made helps (although it takes a long time for it to be effective).

I have allergies and mild asthma. I am also not opposed to natural methods and I do not believe in going to the dr for every little thing.

That said, I think you should take your ds to the doctor.

When I was growing up, my mom had had some nurse training and so felt adequate to address most health issues. (She completed her degree decades later and is now a nurse.) I think it was probably fair for her to feel this way, and we did fine for most things.

I had allergies, though, and used to dread the advent of spring because of it. I remember it as a long, drawn-out, headachey, sneezy misery. I clearly remember days that I just didn't play or do much because it was so bad. I also remember my mother saying things like, "I've given you all the medicine I can give you." and feeling so miserable and hopeless.

As a young adult I went for allergy testing, and it changed my world. It literally changed my world.

Allergies are all about prevention. Once an allergy response is underway, it takes sooooo much more to tame it. On the other hand, taking a low dose of an appropriate med can keep reactions at bay.

Once I started on a prescription med, everything became so. much. better. It was helpful both because it kept me breathing, clear-headed, and functioning, but also because it did not have the side effects of the OTC meds that were available at the time.

Medicine is not a bad thing. It's only bad when it is inappropriately used or when it is used in the place of an effective, gentler option. You have tried the tools at your disposal and your son is sick. The continual allergic response (congestion, swelling, inflammation, mucous, etc.) will do a LOT more damage to his system than an appropriate medicine that will control the allergic response. Please take your son to an allergist.

Understand though, that if he is in the middle of the season now, his allergic response is very strong now. It will take more to tame the allergic response in the short term. However, once the allergy is responding to the meds, then over time he will need less meds to control the allergies.

Over $1000 in allergist bills later, DD, who suffers from seasonal allergies, is on Allegra over the counter. With all the testing they did, etc you would think they had a wiz bang cure. I am going to try b5-thanks for the tip. Also, I have heard that a teaspoon a day of honey that is locally made helps (although it takes a long time for it to be effective).

we tried allegra...worked once...but now it's not working.

Hve heard the honey thing too...but he is so miserable I am looking for a faster cure right now.

how quickly did you notice a difference and how much do you take? My kids don't like honey unless it's on a warm, buttered bisquit. Hard to get them to take it straight...which I don't understand myself...I think honey is wonderful.

I hate honey myself. It's too sickly-sweet, it's almost bitter it's so sweet. DH thinks I'm crazy, but once when we were TTC and I was taking royal jelly in honey I had to hold myself back from gagging everyday. I just hate it. And I love sweets. I also love cilantro, and tons of people hate that.

I find the NeilMed Sinus Rinse to be helpful. It is like using a netipot, but in squeeze bottle form. I use it after dinner to help clear my nose for sleeping. Initially, it is a hard sell for kids, but both of my kids ( 8 & 10) realize it helps, and ask to use it. If you do go to the doctor, a nasal steroid spray may help.

:iagree: Neti pot, or saline rinse is the best help.

My allergy kids find it's best to stop or severely limit milk intake. That seems to make their noses clog up faster and longer.

Have you tried a teaspoon of local raw honey a day? My worst sufferer religiously takes this and his allergies are almost non existent this season.

My other sufferer prefers to take Lorantadine OTC generic for Claritin.

DH is religious with his Neti pot.

Get a steroid nasal spray from your doctor. They really do work. They reduce the swelling in the nasal passage, allow the sinuses to drain and completely alleviate stuffiness. They take a week to get to their optimum performance rate.

Your doc will combine the nasal spray with suggestions for an OTC allergy medicine and maybe a decongestant (sudafed).

If you decide to use a neti-pot, ALWAYS use distilled water (from the grocery store). Although rare, reports of people acquiring (and dying from) a brain eating amoeba (I'm not kidding) after using one with regular tap water, have occurred. I boil my distilled water for five minutes before using the neti pot. And rinse the pot with boiling water for every use as well.

Don't let allergies go untreated. They can lead to nasty sinus infections which can become chronic and difficult to control. My dd is on antibiotics for her semi-annual sinus infection as we speak.

If you see an allergist, expect RAST testing. Based on the results, your son can then start receiving weekly allergy shots, which will eliminate the symptoms permanently. They really do work...but you'll need to get the shots for a year. They start off weekly, then taper to once every two weeks, then monthly. Sometimes it takes two years depending on what your child is allergic to and the severity of his allergy.

well my kids see an allergist and here is what they do:

from Labor Day to Memorial Day they take a daily allergy medicine. She's not picky on which one so we tried a few and they both do fine on the Costco brand children's liquid. Before we used Children's Zyrtec. They also both do a nasal spray. Insurance has us on veramyst but they have done nasonex before. They do day and night for the nasal spray.

My son also had bad asthma this year so he's also on flovent daily but my dd is not. If she has a bad winter then she will go on it too. Our flovent usage is tied to the previous winter's illness and how much it affected their lungs.

So daily: kids allergy medicine, nasal spray(twice daily)

You can get this stuff over the counter. If you wanted the prescription nose spray see your dr.

I have allergies and mild asthma. I am also not opposed to natural methods and I do not believe in going to the dr for every little thing.

That said, I think you should take your ds to the doctor.

When I was growing up, my mom had had some nurse training and so felt adequate to address most health issues. (She completed her degree decades later and is now a nurse.) I think it was probably fair for her to feel this way, and we did fine for most things.

I had allergies, though, and used to dread the advent of spring because of it. I remember it as a long, drawn-out, headachey, sneezy misery. I clearly remember days that I just didn't play or do much because it was so bad. I also remember my mother saying things like, "I've given you all the medicine I can give you." and feeling so miserable and hopeless.

As a young adult I went for allergy testing, and it changed my world. It literally changed my world.

Allergies are all about prevention. Once an allergy response is underway, it takes sooooo much more to tame it. On the other hand, taking a low dose of an appropriate med can keep reactions at bay.

Once I started on a prescription med, everything became so. much. better. It was helpful both because it kept me breathing, clear-headed, and functioning, but also because it did not have the side effects of the OTC meds that were available at the time.

Medicine is not a bad thing. It's only bad when it is inappropriately used or when it is used in the place of an effective, gentler option. You have tried the tools at your disposal and your son is sick. The continual allergic response (congestion, swelling, inflammation, mucous, etc.) will do a LOT more damage to his system than an appropriate medicine that will control the allergic response. Please take your son to an allergist.

Understand though, that if he is in the middle of the season now, his allergic response is very strong now. It will take more to tame the allergic response in the short term. However, once the allergy is responding to the meds, then over time he will need less meds to control the allergies.

:iagree:

OP, I agree with most of this, and much of it is similar to my story. Excpet, back when I was a kid, I actually did see a doctor, and now my parents wish they'd pursued it more thoroughly than just giving what he recommended OTC. But they were medicating and thought they had done all they could. Even though I still was constantly stuffy, with puffy eyes, wheezing ... the doctor said all that could be done was done.

When I was in my twenties, I finally saw a really good allergist and was finally given a correct diagnosis regarding asthma and a variety of allergies.

I have trouble with medications because I tend to have all the negative side effects (meanwhile my dh almost never has side effects) and I'll be very open -- meds and their side effects are a battle for me. But you say you want a quick fix and with his allergies going on this way without relief, I really think you need to consider a good allergist. A good one is going to counsel you on lifestyle changes and things you can do to prevent or ease the symptoms and not just toss prescriptions at you. Hope you are able to find some relief for him.

My ds also suffers from seasonal allergies -- and has a similar issue with it being worse at night. He is definitely not allergic to dust mites ...so it is not from what is in the house. His allergist told us that it is a combination of things..

When you are laying flat, you will become congested more than if you are upright (hence the difference at night). He recommended an OTC Allegra every day, starting a month before symptoms typically start. (It really does need to build up in your body). He also recommended a low dose of sudafed (the stuff you have to buy at the pharmacy counter) for nights when he has trouble sleeping due to congestion. I give him half an adult dose of the four hour...it is enough to clear the congestion, without keeping him awake all night from the medication. (I would check with your own doctor on dosage, etc.)

Finally, we were told he should shower EVERY NIGHT before bed to get the pollen and allergens off -- so he doesn't bring them into his bed. Also, to keep windows closed and only us air conditioning.

Hope some of these tips help! It is so hard to see them miserable!:grouphug:

Ds8 has seasonal allergies as well. He takes OTC Allegra (used to get a scrip, but the doc said OTC is the same now) from March through September. He also does the teaspoon of local wildflower honey - we are lucky to have an apiary that sells raw honey 5 miles from our house. That has taken a long time to work, but he does seem to be building up a resistance. We may even try the early spring with no Allegra next year, because this year his allergies were much milder.

We have tried the nasal sprays and rinses, both prescription steroid and OTC, and they are very effective, but he hates them. HATES. I have made him use them on rare occasions when he was so miserable he couldn't do anything, but we manage without them most of the time.

Someone mentioned but our allergist emphasized repeatedly that you try not to take the allergens to bed. That he's having more trouble at night makes me think concentrating on that room environment would be really helpful.

My son showers and changes into fresh clothes right before bed. We do hot water wash and dry on his sheets and blankets weekly to bi-weekly. Everything is washed and that includes a stuffed dog he still sleeps with. His bed/pillow have allergy covers. He has a HEPA unit in his room. Windows stay closed.

My son still needs medication. He does Zyrtec but have you tried Singulair? We need both for control here. The next step is steroid nasal spray. I've not wanted to do it but if nothing else gives relief I would.

Honey would act like allergy shots in that you would do it ahead of the season to build tolerance.

B5....I hadn't heard of that! I think I'll try it with my allergy kid!

Edited by sbgrace

Doctor just put him on Zertec and Naselcrom. Hoping that does the trick....I hate using to many meds...but using OTC stuff that really isn't working, isn't any better...so here we are.

:grouphug:

Nasalcrom is a medicine that is great in terms of prevention, but not very effective for stopping a reaction that is already in place. The nice thing about it is that it is extremely safe. Go ahead do do the Nasalcrom, but don't expect a huge improvement right away. Do it religiously, daily, and over time it will help a good deal. In future, Nasalcrom can and should be used daily starting a few weeks BEFORE the allergy season hits and then also throughout the season. Used this way, it really will help.

Do you know WHAT your ds is allergic to? If the dr did not do testing, then it would be wise to bring your son to an allergist. When you know what he's allergic to, you can work harder at avoidance. It's also good to know if he has multiple allergies. For example, if he has a pollen allergy then you know that he should be better with a couple nights of hard frost later in the fall. BUT if you also know that he has a dust mite allergy, for example, then you will know to take measures to address that allergy in his room, mattress, pillow, and your home. If he is constantly reacting to something like dust mites, then the seasonal allergy response is much worse. Knowledge truly is power when it comes to allergies.

I heartily support the recommendations for sinus rinsing. It has helped me a great deal when I am having a tough time. Whether you use a NetiPot, saline nasal spray, NeilMed, or big bowl of warm salt water -- any of these will help. The ones with water irrigating the sinus cavities will be most effective, but even an OTC saline spray does help.

(When I say big bowl of warm salt water, I mean to immerse the face, keeping level, in warm water with 2T salt dissolved. Blow air OUT. Rest with face in the water 15 seconds. You will feel the water gently in the nose--it is NOT painful in any way. Remove face, and blow nose. Repeat.)

If your ds is really miserable, and it's really bad, then a steroid nasal spray like Nasonex or Nasacort may be needed to get over that hump. Unlike steroid pills, which are systemic, a steroid nasal spray stays concentrated in the tissue on which it is sprayed, and they have been shown to be remarkably free of side effects for allergy usage. It is sooooo very important to reduce inflammation and especially to maintain breathing, so a nasal spray can be a good tool to get over a hump to be able to breathe.

One final difficulty--the only way for allergy testing to be accurate is for the patient to not have any antihistamines in his system. Most doctors say at least 24 hours, but I have tested as positive for antihistamines in my system at that stage, so I usually recommend no meds for 2-3 days prior to testing. If your son is really miserable, you might choose to medicate for this season, and then test in a few months with a good allergist.

It will take about two weeks to see results.

I agree with a pp about taking him to an allergist. My middle dd is allergic to cats, dogs, dust, grass, and weeds. She also has allergy induced asthma. She started getting allergy shots last year about this time. She's now doing maintenance doses, and she has improved sooooo much!! In fact, she has been able to stop using her Flonase (a nasal steroid) in the last month, and after cold/flu season, we are going to take her off her Flovent (asthma inhaler) and redo her pulmonary function tests. She is still taking Zyrtec, and I don't think we'll stop that for a while.

I am a big believer in allergy shots!

I use either liquid fenugreek or thyme/fenugreek pills to dry up mucous. I also put collodial silver in a dropper bottle and put it in eyes, ears, and nose to clean them out. Putting it in the nose really helps when you have nasal drip. Like others said, keeping the bedroom free of allergens is crucial. Keep out dirty clothes, shoes, and take a bath before bed. Plus don't open the windows. I avoid meds as much as possible, but I have resorted to Allegra when it gets bad.

I mis-spoke...the doctor put him on Nasonex...not Naselcrom...does that make a difference in how long it will take to start working?

The Nasonex will help quicker than the Zyrtec. I would guess about 3 days before he feels way better, though it should help at least a little prior to that. Stay with both, because they address the problem in different ways and will work well together.

Also do the sinus rinse or at least saline nasal spray. It's unbelievable how much simply sanitizing the sinuses really helps. I usually do the saline treatment, blow my nose, and then do the Nasonex right then.

You can add in OTC Nasalcrom on top of the Nasonex safely. Do them at different times of the day.

As Nakia said, it will probably take about two weeks to get to a good equilibrium with all this. :grouphug:

I did use a saline spray in his nose this afternoon, he said it didn't do anything...but I am sure I need to do it more than once...so how often should we do that? Can I use Nasalcrom on an 8 year old....it says 12 years old on the bottle (I think..but I will go and look again). Will using both nasel sprays speed up the comfort or not really?

I did use a saline spray in his nose this afternoon, he said it didn't do anything...but I am sure I need to do it more than once...so how often should we do that? Can I use Nasalcrom on an 8 year old....it says 12 years old on the bottle (I think..but I will go and look again). Will using both nasel sprays speed up the comfort or not really?

He might be so backed up and congested that he doesn't feel a big difference yet. It takes time to clear the congestion and reduce inflammation.

When things are really acute for me I use saline rinses every 2-3 hours. Squirt, then blow the nose. Do it again if he's in really bad shape.

When the allergy response is more under control, I do it roughly twice a day.

My dr had my ds taking Nasalcrom once per day at around the same age. (I forget exactly how old he was, but think he was 7-8-9 ish. He's 11yo now.) My dr described Nasalcrom as "so benign" and one of the safer drugs out there.

The Nasonex will provide the most immediate comfort. Nasalcrom helps more over the long run, and its real strength is preventative. Once the system is calmed down, Nasalcrom will help it remain calm. It's not as good at taming an ongoing reaction though. (Nasonex is better for that.) I would do the Nasalcrom more for the long-term benefit you are hoping for, thinking more of the big picture of the entire allergy season.

He might be so backed up and congested that he doesn't feel a big difference yet. It takes time to clear the congestion and reduce inflammation.

When things are really acute for me I use saline rinses every 2-3 hours. Squirt, then blow the nose. Do it again if he's in really bad shape.

When the allergy response is more under control, I do it roughly twice a day.

My dr had my ds taking Nasalcrom once per day at around the same age. (I forget exactly how old he was, but think he was 7-8-9 ish. He's 11yo now.) My dr described Nasalcrom as "so benign" and one of the safer drugs out there.

The Nasonex will provide the most immediate comfort. Nasalcrom helps more over the long run, and its real strength is preventative. Once the system is calmed down, Nasalcrom will help it remain calm. It's not as good at taming an ongoing reaction though. (Nasonex is better for that.) I would do the Nasalcrom more for the long-term benefit you are hoping for, thinking more of the big picture of the entire allergy season.

so then maybe use what the doctor said until he calms down some, and then add Naselcrom...and slowly remove the other meds?? Would that be the way to go...and then next spring before everything start popping, use Naselcrom right away...hoping to prevent problems...does that sound about right??

so then maybe use what the doctor said until he calms down some, and then add Naselcrom...and slowly remove the other meds?? Would that be the way to go...and then next spring before everything start popping, use Naselcrom right away...hoping to prevent problems...does that sound about right??

What is he allergic to?

I would not remove any meds until the allergy season is done. If it's an outdoor allergy to pollen of some sort, then he should stay on the meds until there's been a hard frost at least a couple times (3ish).

If he is really and truly fine, and you want to back off the meds a little, then try Zyrtec only. If he gets worse, add the Nasonex back in.

Chances are since he has had such a big flare-up, that his system is going to be in hyperdrive for the rest of the season.

If he is as allergic as your post indicates, then Nasalcrom may not do the trick next season. You can try Nasalcrom only a couple weeks before the season starts and see if he gets congested. However, he may need to be on a low dose of Zyrtec as well. The key with allergy meds is to get him started before the reaction occurs, because he will ultimately need less meds to control it.

Remember, it's always much harder to calm down a reaction that's been started. Taking Zyrtec for a few months will be much, much easier on his system than the congestion and inflammation he will have without it.

You can also add the Nasalcrom right now. Take it at a different time than the Nasonex. Nasalcrom will not react with or interfere with either the Nasonex or the Zyrtec.

If he's so stuffed up that he can't breathe through his nose at all, it's ok to give him a couple squirts of Afrin up each nostril to open them up. Otherwise, your steroid sprays aren't going to be very effective if they're just basically sitting on snot.

Don't use the Afrin for more than 3 days, or you risk rebound stuffiness, but there is no problem with using it to allow the poor kid to breathe. I suffer from hayfever, too, and honestly....it is so miserable, he needs to get some symptomatic relief.

And yes, you can use the steroid sprays on an 8 year old...no matter what it says on the bottle. They are safely prescribed to children over the age of two.

the afrin bottle says 12 and over too...are you sure it's ok? I would love to give him something to breathe...he is sleeping now...we see how he does tonight.

Yeah, the ENT had me use Afrin on my five year old after sinus surgery.

Something else to try are Breathe Right strips, especially at night.

DianeW88....I just read on the Bat Thread that you are a ped nurse....so that gives me comfort to know that....does the Doctor you work with tell parents to use afrin on their 8 year old children when they are congested?? I might just do that tonight if he is still struggling to breathe at bed time.

thanks.

DianeW88....I just read on the Bat Thread that you are a ped nurse....so that gives me comfort to know that....does the Doctor you work with tell parents to use afrin on their 8 year old children when they are congested?? I might just do that tonight if he is still struggling to breathe at bed time.

thanks.

Yep. As long as you don't exceed three days of use...although honestly, if the allergies are really bad, I sometimes will. I use it on myself and my kids all. the. time. Not being able to breathe is miserable, and he won't get the rest he needs, which will contribute even more to the allergic fatigue syndrome he's probably already experiencing.

thank you Diane...but I probably should wait until bedtime now, huh...he is miserable now, but if I do it now, I won't be able to do it at bedtime (or maybe won't need to...unless it doesn't last the 12 hours it is supposed to)....What would you do???

You can do it now and at bedtime. It's just Afrin. Really, it's not dangerous at all. It shrinks the veins in the nasal area and the relief will be almost immediate. It's also great to pour on a q-tip and swab the inside of the nasal passage with if your child ever gets a nosebleed. It stops them cold.