Menu

Dd off to college: The Agony & the Ecstasy

Starr

It's such a strange thing having your children leave home. Dd is off to college. The rest of us feel as though we've lost a part of ourselves. The answer is always to think of her, all she's accomplished, her future blah blah blah. That is the problem. Of course we're proud and delighted and only a little nervous. She's very capable but at the same time she's missing. :sad:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dd is beginning 12th grade this year, and I'm trying to appreciate every moment.

It's so worth focusing on the little moments. When I didn't feel like driving her somewhere I would think of how it would give me some time with her that was going fast. Then just to make things worse she was absolutely delightful the last 2 weeks at home!

We had this when oldest left 2 years ago. We're leaving with middle son tomorrow and my heart has been heavy the whole last month (but I try not to show it). :grouphug:

Last night I started thinking about it more as the cycle of life sort of thing. I don't know why, but it helped some. It's a new generation - one we raised - starting to take the steps to take over. Of course, it made me feel old, but I already feel that way...

But I still have a heavy heart making our final preparations for middle son's launch and I have tons of memories (great memories) from the past 18 years.

Of course, it made me feel old, but I already feel that way...

But I still have a heavy heart making our final preparations for middle son's launch and I have tons of memories (great memories) from the past 18 years.

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA (fingers in ears), I can't hear you!!!!

Ds is hitting the books, first day with his AP Computer Science Java programming text and talking about the exam which makes my heart go flip-flop, flip-flop. Just as with DD, the realization that he will soon gladly leave home, is hitting and then I feel poorly about the days when I think I will feel relief when he is gone. Yet, I know in the end my heart will be twisted in knots.

Where's the chocolate?

Faith

I want to stomp my feet and yell "I'm not ready for this!" 3 more days. During the day, I have been pleasant and calm (despite the difficulty I have in just remembering to take a breath.) But, in the middle of the night, I wake up gasping and panic-stricken. Strange dreams - leaving a child somewhere, running in slow motion, being forced to wait for my food at a McDonald's run by orangutans while the family drives off without me. Wait ... Chocolate? Did someone say "chocolate"? Surely that must be the answer to the knots in my stomach.

Just dropped off middle son yesterday and got this e-mail in from him at 1:30am this morning:

"all is well here and I had fun/know this IS the place for me :) Â Thank you both for everything! :D Â Love you two!"

That does make it a little easier even though there's still a hole.

As an aside, I got to meet Catherine yesterday too. It was great to meet a fellow WTM in real life!!! Here's a shout out to you (if you see it).

And to anyone still looking for a college for their academic loving intellectual (or nerd), consider this place. U Rochester is terrific for the intellectual. It won't work for those not into studies so much.

Ditto to everything you've said about UR. I also noticed yesterday, for those of you with students into science, engineering and math: compared to my school (a small LAC), the sheer numbers of science\math\engineering majors is enormous. Most students at my school majored in English, History, Economics, Government\politics, or a language. There were science and math majors, (no engineering) but they were a clear, fairly small minority. Here at UR, it's probably the opposite. We listened to an a capella group yesterday and 80% of them were majoring in a science field. So I'm happy that my math\science guy will find many kindred spirits here.

And of course it was lovely meeting another TWTMer! I still have a few years to go as I have a rising sixth grader and a high schooler (back in school). We got to have a quick talk and catch up session that really made me wish we could all meet up for a weekend to talk, talk talk!

It's such a strange thing having your children leave home. Dd is off to college. The rest of us feel as though we've lost a part of ourselves. The answer is always to think of her, all she's accomplished, her future blah blah blah. That is the problem. Of course we're proud and delighted and only a little nervous. She's very capable but at the same time she's missing. :sad:

:iagree:

I feel like I have lost part of myself. I have been with DD for 18 years. Sad and good times, chicken pox, learning to drive, etc...

also, it too makes me feel old and not needed any more...:chillpill:

I do have 2 other wonderful kids at home to finish home schooling and try not to be sad in front of them (all the time, as I run to my room to cry) :confused: because I don't want them to not feel loved.

as I wrote on another thread.... there needs to be some kind of support group or some thing to prepare the mom a.k.a "US" for this!!! :lol:

Amy

I completely understand how you feel. I don't know if you were here 4 years ago when my firstborn went away to college, but I came to the boards a LOT just looking for a place to cry! I really struggled with depression that first year, but the wonderful ladies here showed me such compassion, and they prayed me through that very difficult transition.

I completely understand how you feel. I don't know if you were here 4 years ago when my firstborn went away to college, but I came to the boards a LOT just looking for a place to cry! I really struggled with depression that first year, but the wonderful ladies here showed me such compassion, and they prayed me through that very difficult transition.

I do remember. You are one of the people that helped me be honest about how much I miss my dd as well as being proud and all that.

I had a very heavy heart when our oldest left home for the first time, especially since he was doing something rather dangerous. Plus, it was the first time our family changed.

Now #4 will be leaving in a few weeks for a year in England. She is so very, very ready, that at least right now I'm just plain happy for her.

Oldest went back for his Senior year last Saturday.

Yesterday, the cat spent the entire day on his bed. She misses him, too.

He had planned to go to graduate school (maybe UCLA Film) after college, but it's too expensive, so he is thinking of coming home to live for a hopefully short time while he job hunts (he can work for UPS while job hunting).

Secretly, I'm thrilled...;)

Thank you all for posting. My oldest leaves tomorrow morning (we leave at 6am) and I really appreciate your honesty. It feels a little bit better knowing that I'm not alone. I feel like...an empty nester and yet...I have four daughters still at home (13, 11,10, 8). It's just...my oldest dd is one of my best friends and...I wish that there had been a way to prepare for this...She's ready...I'm pretending to be ready...:001_huh: