Menu

For those of you who live where the rest of us vacation

I'll add that in this conservative town where we live, we're still the crazy hippies! YAY!!! :tongue_smilie:

When neighbors find out where our families are from, they're like "oh, that's why!" Everyone thinks we're... suspicious?

No, just from a beach town!

I've lived at the beach (10 miles away) and now live in the mountains and will say life as parents w/ young kids is fairly typical as compared to other places- BUT, our free time is much, much, much more glorious with the mountains to play in! Mountains make everything better. :D We went to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park for a few hours Sunday and it was so refreshing and only 1 hour door to door.

We live on top of a ridge looking at the Front Range (I'm in Colorado, in between Boulder & Denver) and just driving down the ridge to Target is a glorious view that *most* people would stop and photograph.... I'm spoiled and love it. :)

But both Virginia Beach and Colorado were tourist destination and pretty large areas, so no- not slow. The areas are too large to be considered 'slow'. :D

I've lived at the beach (10 miles away) and now live in the mountains and will say life as parents w/ young kids is fairly typical as compared to other places- BUT, our free time is much, much, much more glorious with the mountains to play in! Mountains make everything better. :D We went to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park for a few hours Sunday and it was so refreshing and only 1 hour door to door.

We live on top of a ridge looking at the Front Range (I'm in Colorado, in between Boulder & Denver) and just driving down the ridge to Target is a glorious view that *most* people would stop and photograph.... I'm spoiled and love it. :)

But both Virginia Beach and Colorado were tourist destination and pretty large areas, so no- not slow. The areas are too large to be considered 'slow'. :D

My dh is from Arvada and we lived in Westminster for 12 years (the west side, right near Standley Lake). We absolutely loved it. Denver is such a great city!

We live 15 min from the beach. Our lives are hectic, we all work very hard but it is relaxed here. People are generally nice and friendly. And no one really cares what you say or do because everyone is different and from somewhere else. We rarely get to the beach and when we do it is usually to see the sunset or stay for 2 hours or less. We do love it here and I especially appreciate the sunny days. We moved partially because I had problems with S.A.D. up north. I feel much healthier and am much more relaxed.

It is extremely hard living in America's Corn Belt Vacation Heartland. Anywhere I go, people are always saying "Wow! You live in small-town Nebraska?!?! How amazing!" I hate having to travel behind 2 out-of-state cars on the highway doing 65 in a 60 on my 8+mi trek to town (3,500 people). And we will not mention the stress of having to wait one minute in line while waiting for the vacationers to check out at Pamida! County fair time is a nightmare. All 5,000 people in the county are there, plus about 6 people from the outside. Ugh! I so wish I lived somewhere boring, like San Luis Obispo, CA. Everyone hates that boring, ugly place.

(The above was complete sarcasm, in case UU didn't get it.)

It is extremely hard living in America's Corn Belt Vacation Heartland. Anywhere I go, people are always saying "Wow! You live in small-town Nebraska?!?! How amazing!" I hate having to travel behind 2 out-of-state cars on the highway doing 65 in a 60 on my 8+mi trek to town (3,500 people). And we will not mention the stress of having to wait one minute in line while waiting for the vacationers to check out at Pamida! County fair time is a nightmare. All 5,000 people in the county are there, plus about 6 people from the outside. Ugh! I so wish I lived somewhere boring, like San Luis Obispo, CA. Everyone hates that boring, ugly place.

(The above was complete sarcasm, in case UU didn't get it.)

:tongue_smilie: I loved Nebraska. The state fair was one of my favorites out of all the places we've ever lived. Not to mention the "backyard" fireworks displays that would rival the big cities and the ramshackle little building in the middle of nowhere with the most amazing steaks I've ever had in my life. We seriously drove an hour and followed crazy directions to get there. And the view of the Platte river always reminded me of lazy summer days with inner tubes.

It may not be most people's tourist destinations, but give me Nebraska in April in a heartbeat. :D

I don't take it for granted. I live in a tourist area (golf, beaches, rolling countryside) and I stare every day at my surroundings. I take great solace from living where I live and would be a much less happy person if I had to move away. I feel pretty busy, but gazing at a sunset or sitting on a bench in my garden and looking at the distant hills gives me calm.

Laura

New Zealand is slower, happier, and safer. In my city in the summer, we get 1 or 2 cruise ships EVERY day. (You can always tell the Americans because they wear white sneakers and the really big hats.) But then they leave for the winter which is windy, wet, and cold. You haven't lived until you walk with my husband to work every day - 2 miles each way in 40 to 60mph winds, horizontal rain, and temperatures of about 40F. No tourists then. :D

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

New Zealand is slower, happier, and safer. In my city in the summer, we get 1 or 2 cruise ships EVERY day. (You can always tell the Americans because they wear white sneakers and the really big hats.) But then they leave for the winter which is windy, wet, and cold. You haven't lived until you walk with my husband to work every day - 2 miles each way in 40 to 60mph winds, horizontal rain, and temperatures of about 40F. No tourists then. :D

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, ok you have it worse ... in the good weather! Cruise ships :svengo: We have a good amount of your winter weather. You are right! 40F and horizontal rain IS the worst! We actually cheer for snowy years. Less painful. Even with the shoveling.

My ds teases me that I start grousing at the top of the pass coming back from the town (1.5 hours away) that we have to drive to a LOT for Scouts, because I always say, "Everyone else would kill for this commute." We come over the hill and there's Blue Mesa Reservoir and the Pinnacles...

I think I'd tease you too with that view!