Menu

I just wanted to say Thanks...

...to those of you who posted awhile back about finding "overdue" library books back on the shelf AT the library. When DH texted me today that he received notification of an overdue book that I swore I returned, I went to the library before I tore my house apart. It was there. One of 6 or 7 that I returned all at the same time, so I'm not sure how only the one didn't get scanned in.

Anyway, Thanks! It's too hot to clean house. :tongue_smilie:

I had over 18 MONTHS of arguing over a book that I knew I returned. For a change I actually clearly remembered dropping it into the slot. It wasn't until the library got quaked and was closed and cleared out that the book disappeared off my card. I *had* checked the shelves but I think it was out the back somewhere.

That used to happen to me often but hasn't for a while. Last week two items that I returned in a batch of about thirty didn't get scanned in. I caught it when looking at my account at home, called, and they found them on the shelves and cleared my account.

The libraries I frequent now have automatic check in - they are discharged as they pass through the slot. I now have no issues with returns. I know machines can break, but right now it appears the machines can do a better job than people. :001_huh:

When I get an overdue notice on something I have turned in at my library I call and they look for it. It has happened a couple of times and they have always found the book, removed the charge and called to apologize. We have a very gracious library staff, even if they are imperfect. :)

I work at a library, and this, unfortunately, is not unusual. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Occasionally, the scanner will read wrong and drop a number off of the bar code--but it's never one specific scanner. Sometimes people will return books by placing them on the counter instead of the book return slots underneath the counter. In the case of DVDs, which are handled differently than books, we sometimes have overzealous volunteers who don't understand/realize that the material hasn't been checked in before returning DVDs to the shelves. And of course, sometimes the staff is distracted, and a book may not be checked in.

There's a much greater chance it will happen to a patron who checks out a lot of material. I would encourage anyone who *thinks* they've returned a book to ask their librarians to do a shelf-check. Shame on those employees who won't. It's kind of a library's dirty little secret, and we wish that were not the case. It's embarrassing (although I know not all libraries feel this way, they should!).

I went to check out a book at our library last week---it wasn't even from that library, but another within the same system. It hadn't been checked in, but shelved.

I dislike these computer systems. I have also found several of mine not checked in, but shelved. :glare:

I posted a story once about that happening to me.

I never thought of calling the library since I check out hundreds of books and the library never made a mistake before.

At least I got a clean house out of the bargain. :)

ETA: My thread on this very subject: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=399875&highlight=Library

This has happened to me a bunch of times.

There was also a time I returned a book that I knew was in perfect shape, and somehow it got wet after we returned it so we had to pay for it. Even though I understood, I was really mad that they did not consider that we were telling the truth. We check out hundreds of books a year. We weren't even arguing about paying, just explaining that we wouldn't have put a wet book in the return slot. It was raining so I bet somehow the water got in. It is a pain to have to go in and return in person but that was very expensive.

I posted a story once about that happening to me.

I never thought of calling the library since I check out hundreds of books and the library never made a mistake before.

At least I got a clean house out of the bargain. :)

ETA: My thread on this very subject: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=399875&highlight=Library

It might have been your thread I was referring to. I remembered reading about it, so as soon as DH texted me, I thought "no way, I KNOW that particular book was in the library bag" because it actually surprised me to find it in there. Usually I have to send the kids throughout the house to gather up their books to return, so when I picked up the library bag and saw that particular book in there I was flabbergasted that someone had actually put. it. away. ?!?

And like I said in my original post, it's waaaaay too hot to be cleaning the house. :tongue_smilie: I would be one grumpy whatsit if I had ripped apart the house looking for it, only to find it at the library. You saved a lot of people from having to deal with a grumpy me.

I had just the opposite situation awhile back. We 'lost' a book here at home. DD was suppose to be reading a couple chapters a week and could NOT find it to save her life, or ours.

I was looking at our account online and discovered that the book was NOT checked out. Apparently we returned it with a stack of books (STACK) that we returned last month.