Menu

Pencil death grip

My DS just started OT because of his grip. His OT recommended having him spend some time each day writing, doing mazes, etc. on a whiteboard or to hang his paper on the wall. She said this will make it harder for him to press so hard. Also he is to keep a "magic penny" in the palm of his hand using the last two finger to hold it in place. Hopefully one of these ideas will help your DD.

Mechanical pencils will prevent this.

Not sure how? I can totally grip a mechanical pencil or fountain pen as hard as anything else.

My DS just started OT because of his grip. His OT recommended having him spend some time each day writing, doing mazes, etc. on a whiteboard or to hang his paper on the wall. She said this will make it harder for him to press so hard. Also he is to keep a "magic penny" in the palm of his hand using the last two finger to hold it in place. Hopefully one of these ideas will help your DD.

I think we may be talking about two different things here. I grip the pencil hard, and so does my dd, but we don't press hard. Just hang on for dear life. If I try to be conscious of it, I can loosen my grip a bit, but it takes effort. I usually just avoid writing by hand. I used to have such nice handwriting too. :sad:

:iagree:

I second the suggestion of getting an occupational therapy evaluation. They have lots of tricks to help solve the problem and may uncover the root cause.

That said, we didn't see an ot, but I did retrain ds at age 9-10 using techniques and materials that occupational therapists sometimes use. The problem of death grip and insane pressure improved after several months of using a weighted glove and some nicer pens for handwriting practice with a program called Callirobics--plus, we worked on hand strength with a variety of other techniques--plus I'd been correcting his pencil hold almost daily since kindergarten. I suspect an ot would have been able to fix the problem faster.