Menu

S/O Breakfast ... but low carb

I read with interest the different breakfast ideas. However, most of them included some form of bread, cereal, or grain. Any low carbers out there care to share their breakfast meals. We are in a rut of bacon and eggs. It's quick, easy and filling . . . but so routine. When school starts up I'll still want something quick, easy, and filling. Suggestions?

Scrambled eggs with sausage in them, topped with salsa and guacamole. Very tex-mex flavored!

Poached egg on leftover meatloaf

Bacon, tomato, a little mayo and salt, topped with a fried egg.

Crustless Quiche with bacon and broccoli

Saute shirataki noodles with soy sauce and veggies, then add eggs and scramble.

Yes, all my ideas have eggs. But there's just so much you can DO with an egg!

We don't eat many breakfast foods.

DS always has eggs, greek yogurt and fruit

DD doesn't like any breakfast foods and will currently eat chicken ten times a day with ketchup

I do a smoothie or greek yogurt in the am because I am not that hungry.

crustless quiche

breakfast casserole-ground beef, ground sausage, peppers, onions, eggs, cheese, and cream cheese baked on a weekend and eaten during the week reheated

muffins and quickbreads made with almond or coconut flour

coconut flour waffles made in bulk and flash frozen (pop in toaster)

cottage cheese, sometimes with tomato, salt, and pepper

unsweetened yogurt

leftovers

scrambled eggs

egg drop soup in the winter-heat up some homemade stock, put a chunk of ginger in there if I have it, drizzle in a beaten egg once it is hot. I add a dash of soy sauce before I eat it.

omelets with veggies

chicken sausage (different varieties like feta and spinach, etc.) is very easy

fried shredded cabbage with eggs

smoothies with Jay Robb or Jarrow unsweetened protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, a little stevia, sometimes some berries.

we usually have hardboiled eggs or chicken or egg salad in the fridge for snacks, lunch, or sometimes breakfast.

eta: delicata squash browns are really good in the fall if you miss potatoes. Delicatas are one of the lower carb squashes. Peel, dice, saute with onions and bite-sized pieces of bacon (get the bacon and onions going first, add in the squash and cook until tender). I add extra garlic powder, and sea salt. Very yummy and sort of like homefries. DH doesn't like squash usually but he likes this dish. Online there's a little tutorial if you google squash browns or something like that.

Edited by Momof3littles

I read with interest the different breakfast ideas. However, most of them included some form of bread, cereal, or grain. Any low carbers out there care to share their breakfast meals. We are in a rut of bacon and eggs. It's quick, easy and filling . . . but so routine. When school starts up I'll still want something quick, easy, and filling. Suggestions?

We like fruit and cheese platters or smoothies. We eat a lot of eggs and yogurt too.

Lots of great idea . . . I knew you guys would come through for me and my family!

FYI, I was watching Dr. Oz today and he said to avoid fried bacon to prevent brain cancer. Noooo! Say it isn't so! It's my sure fire trick to get my teenagers out of bed in the morning!

Did he say why? I know there's some concern about nitrates, but BJ's has a really good nitrate-free bacon that we've been enjoying...a lot!

Did he say why? I know there's some concern about nitrates, but BJ's has a really good nitrate-free bacon that we've been enjoying...a lot!

No, he didn't specifically say why. The other no-no's are cooked ham and lunch meat, so your guess about nitrates might be correct, though he didn't say that. What is BJ's? We have found some nitrate-free bacon at Whole Foods.

Cottage cheese with berries. Yogurt. Smoothies.

When I can afford it, I want to try the "nutola" (similar texture to granola but with nuts and no grains) and baked goods based on almond flour.

My kids like a casserole made with cooked mashed cauliflower, some eggs, and some shredded cheese, mixed together and baked at 350* for about 30 minutes or until golden. Lots of protein but not so much egg taste.

Zucchini -- sliced and sauteed, with mushrooms, and/or goat cheese on top. Or shredded and made into cakes like hash browns.

I've mixed cottage cheese and red pepper and some other things that I can't remember right now into cakes and cooked them like pancakes. They were good, but they fell apart, so I think they'd be better as a casserole.

I eat a lot of omelets. I like the sweet omelet as a change. Toast some nuts and add cinnamon if you like. Beat some eggs and add a splash of vanilla; cook like an omelet, but for filling, add a few dollops of cream cheese and the nuts.

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese

1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

I love these!

I also make egg quiche things in muffin cups and put them in the fridge. They're just as fast to heat in the microwave as a poptart or a bowl of oatmeal.

Is it just me, or is Dr. Oz the ladies' checkout magazine of TV. Every day it's the *ONE SECRET FOOD THAT WILL MAKE YOU DROP 10 POUNDS THIS WEEK* or *THE COMMON FOOD THAT IS KILLING YOU RIGHT NOW!* I see his ads, and I giggle. My mom watches him, and while I'm glad she is learning more about nutrition (he seems to be pro-whole foods at least,) some of the over-the-top stuff is annoying. Everytime I make a healthy choice, someone asks "Oooh, did you see that on Dr. Oz?" NO, I didn't freakin' see it on Dr. Oz; I read books. :lol:

Oh, but we do eat nitrate-free bacon and ham. :D But not because of Dr. Oz!

Edited by angela in ohio

Is it just me, or is Dr. Oz the ladies' checkout magazine of TV. Every day it's the *ONE SECRET FOOD THAT WILL MAKE YOU DROP 10 POUNDS THIS WEEK* or *THE COMMON FOOD THAT IS KILLING YOU RIGHT NOW!* I see his ads, and I giggle. My mom watches him, and while I'm glad she is learning more about nutrition (he seems to be pro-whole foods at least,) some of the over-the-top stuff is annoying. Everytime I make a healthy choice, someone asks "Oooh, did you see that on Dr. Oz?" NO, I didn't freakin' see it on Dr. Oz; I read books. :lol:

Oh, but we do eat nitrate-free bacon and ham. :D But not because of Dr. Oz!

I was thinking that yesterday. When I've heard him speak at length on any topic, he seemed very knowledgeable and wise. Then I hear bits and pieces of the things he says, and I'm :confused:.