Menu

What's the best method for doing tie-dye t-shirts?

We're having a group of middle-schoolers over soon for a cookout and to make tie-dye t-shirts. They're bringing shirts, and I'll be providing the rest of the dye supplies.

Light years ago, when I was a kid, I did tie-dyes, but I don't remember how we did it. There will be at least a dozen kids, so I don't want to spend a fortune on kits from the craft store.

Any advice? Online tutorials?

It's easier now with the kits--you don't have to pre-soak the shirts in soda ash (or whatever that was). One kit like the one I linked should be sufficient. If you have a coupon to a big-box craft store it's a pretty good deal. Make sure you have plenty of rubber bands; different widths are nice. And you do need to make sure all the shirts are pre-washed or the dye will not stick. Oh, gloves would help with preventing your hands getting stained. Have fun!

A cheap, super-easy method is to use spray bottles of watered-down craft acrylic paints. You water them down so that the paint doesn't make the clothes stiff, and the colors don't bleed or fade. We have shirts from 6 years ago that haven't faded. Playing around with twisting up the shirt in various ways, we've gotten some pretty neat tie-dye effects. Because the paint is so cheap, you can offer as many colors as you have spray bottles.

Please - buy a kit from Dharma Trading!!! It's a little more work than a Tulip kit but the results are a billion times better. I bought the kit (huge one) and we tie dyed shirts at Cub Scout camp with 60+ boys and 40+ staff. They came out perfectly - vibrant and no bleeding. Read the directions and follow them and you'll be a hero!!!

All I can say is test whatever method you plan to use....my kids have brought home "tie dyed" shirts from several events that just plain sucked. The worst ones are the ones that were done dry. It just doesn't work, or it didn't work like they thought it should. Something. Test it in advance so you can see the finished product and adjust the method if necessary.

Some friends recently did a Sharpie "tie-dye" project too, and the effects were very, very cool!

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/sharpiepenscience

Might be less mess in the end too :D

Yes :iagree: - definitely google images for sharpie tie-dye or look on pinterest. I think you will eliminate most, if not all, of the mess with this method.

All I can say is test whatever method you plan to use....my kids have brought home "tie dyed" shirts from several events that just plain sucked. The worst ones are the ones that were done dry. It just doesn't work, or it didn't work like they thought it should. Something. Test it in advance so you can see the finished product and adjust the method if necessary.

:iagree:

and I forgot in my other post to mention starting with a damp shirt (we did our out of the wash...you could throw all the shirts in the washer just to get wet and spun)

The Tulip kit really did work and has lasted. Everyone thinks we bought the shirts already dyed. We followed the instructions exactly.

I will say that as we were doing the shirts I did have the thought of "no wonder tie dye never works in a group...this just isn't conducive to a group activity"

This idea really appeals to me, but in many of the comments I've read it seems that the ink washes out. I'm testing the acrylic paint idea at the moment - waiting for it to dry.

How did it go for you? We just hang them on a line outside to dry overnight, but it doesn't actually take that long. We've mostly done this for VBS, where we let the kids spray their t-shirts themselves. Definitely do it outside and stay upwind!

Please - buy a kit from Dharma Trading!!! It's a little more work than a Tulip kit but the results are a billion times better. I bought the kit (huge one) and we tie dyed shirts at Cub Scout camp with 60+ boys and 40+ staff. They came out perfectly - vibrant and no bleeding. Read the directions and follow them and you'll be a hero!!!

I totally second Dharma. We tie-dyed shirts for July 4th last year and they turned out great! I have ordered many things from Dharma and the service is amazing. I had never tie-dyed before and they answered all of my questions over the phone. The kits are really convenient and provide all you need and plenty of it. They come with instructions, too.

:iagree: have had great luck with dharma trading tie dye supplies. :001_smile:

DHARMA!!!

You will get the best results. It is real, professional dye. They've been around for many, many years and know their stuff. I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Make sure the shirts are 100% cotton.

Have the kids label the shirt tags with sharpie before your begin so you know which is which.

Here it is! I'm pleased with how it turned out and VERY pleased with how simple it was. I've washed & dried it since, and while not quite as vivid, it still looks nice.

Yay! Thanks to the people who mentioned it! I ♥ this board!

Looks great! Is this the sprayed-on diluted paint?

Yes, but I used a squeeze bottle instead of a spray bottle. After painting the tied up shirt, I let it sit for about 4 hours before I untied it. Once I untied it and hung it up, the colors spread more. I think I'll leave them tied up a lot longer next time.

I'm just really happy about how easy & cheap it was to do!

DHARMA!!!

You will get the best results. It is real, professional dye. They've been around for many, many years and know their stuff. I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Make sure the shirts are 100% cotton.

Have the kids label the shirt tags with sharpie before your begin so you know which is which.

:iagree:

The Dharma dyes don't wash out or fade, even after years of laundering.