Menu

Boys shoes that last

My soon to be 7 year old wears through shoes like you wouldn't believe. Without outgrowing them, he's gone through 4 pairs in the past 8 months - holes in the bottoms and sides, rips, one pair lost the whole tongue!

I'm looking for good quality everyday sneakers that will take rough little boy abuse, and that are affordable (under $30/pair would be great.)

Any suggestions?

My soon to be 7 year old wears through shoes like you wouldn't believe. Without outgrowing them, he's gone through 4 pairs in the past 8 months - holes in the bottoms and sides, rips, one pair lost the whole tongue!

I'm looking for good quality everyday sneakers that will take rough little boy abuse, and that are affordable (under $30/pair would be great.)

Any suggestions?

I am not aware of any shoes in that price point - and it's not from lack of trying different brands. My son would wear through tennis shoes at that price point in less than 2 weeks.

Adidas has a warranty on their high end ($140 per pair) tennis shoes. My oldest wears a pair of these shoes out in about 6 wks, but, I haven't had to buy him a pair of shoes in over a year. So the $140 has been well worth it.

When my son was in elementary school, I found cheap shoes wore out really fast. I started buying leather sneakers on clearance whenever I found them for him and I ended up spending less money on shoes than when I bought them at Payless. Sometimes I'd buy a few sizes at a time if the clearance sale was really good.

Check with Sears. Their KidVantage program used to cover shoes (my kids are too old so I haven't used it in years). They would replace the shoes if worn out before they were outgrown. Then even if they are a bit over $30 he could at least get longer wear from them.

I agree that you need to start watching clearance shoes. The trick is to buy them when they are available and before you need them. Right now it is back to school and everything is picked over. When my son was that age we had great experience with New Balance, Nike, and Adidas. I rarely paid $30, but I also didn't wait to buy them when I needed them. If he had an odd growth spurt, I was also always able to sell them for at least what I had bought them for.

Check with Sears. Their KidVantage program used to cover shoes (my kids are too old so I haven't used it in years). They would replace the shoes if worn out before they were outgrown. Then even if they are a bit over $30 he could at least get longer wear from them.

Sears recently discontinued this program. I was so sad because it was great for ds.

I haven't found any cheap shoes that last long at all. I always buy stride rite or skechers which run $40-$50. They always last until they are outgrown.

Ds 2 wears through skechers as well. Stride Rite is the only brand that has held up well for him. We get them at an outlet mall and buy last year's styles for a discount.

Both of my youngest are very hard on shoes. (sneakers especially)

For the past several years, we have purchased New Balance. We shop their Factory Outlets or Tent Sales. Do you have something like that in your area?

I rarely pay over $15/pair for their sneakers. I buy 2 pair/year -- the size they are wearing at the time and then 1 size larger.

Both of my youngest are very hard on shoes. (sneakers especially)

For the past several years, we have purchased New Balance. We shop their Factory Outlets or Tent Sales. Do you have something like that in your area?

I rarely pay over $15/pair for their sneakers. I buy 2 pair/year -- the size they are wearing at the time and then 1 size larger.

Just to clarify...a pair of New Balance shoes will last your boys 6 months?

Just to clarify...a pair of New Balance shoes will last your boys 6 months?

I'd pay full price for shoes that last 6 months!!

I'm on the Joe's New Balance clearance site and found some for $25, free shipping over $75. I'll get those, since our local outlets never have anything for less than that.

Also, Zulily has Keens for $25. I'm ordering some that I hope will fit next summer - those things are made of iron and my sandals have lasted 3 years of 3 season use!!

My second DS is like that. He inherited shoes from my oldest that were in perfect condition and destroys them without even trying. And these are good quality shoes, Nike, Sketcher, etc. He blows out the toes and scuffs up the sides. Even the stitching comes out! I don't know what he does to them, but my third DS gets lots of new things because DS2 destroys everything to the point that it can't be handed down! :laugh:

I have found that the best thing to do is buy shoes on clearance ahead of time. I have great luck at Kohls. Then when his toes start showing through his month old shoes, I am not so frustrated because I only paid $10 for them. I also get shoes at Once Upon A Child. They are cheap and choosy so I can get good deals that way.

Also, Zulily has Keens for $25. I'm ordering some that I hope will fit next summer - those things are made of iron and my sandals have lasted 3 years of 3 season use!!

:iagree: Keens are awesome. We get them every summer for the boys and neither kid has ever worn out a pair (of course our summer is a short season, but still).

I have found that the best thing to do is buy shoes on clearance ahead of time. I have great luck at Kohls. Then when his toes start showing through his month old shoes, I am not so frustrated because I only paid $10 for them. I also get shoes at Once Upon A Child. They are cheap and choosy so I can get good deals that way.

But at $10 per month for cheap shoes, I might as well go with the $40 shoes that last 4 months since less shopping is involved for me. :D

Another place to check for that price point is LL Bean. They are not tennis shoes but their mountain mocs have REALLY held up here. They are more rugged than many tennis shoes. They might not work for a gym class/sports but for everyday running around they might hold up well.