Menu

"PS is your best choice"

We went to a "Night Out" event at one of the local high schools today. They had fire trucks, ambulances, etc for the kids to look at and lots of goodies for the kids and free stuff. The kids had a blast.

As we drove into the high school, the sign out front said: "Public school is your best choice."

:rofl:

A PS in our area (not the one we were at tonight) was recently ranked bottom 15% in the state. Really? That's our "best choice"? :thumbdown:

:scared:

I'll have to go back and get a picture tomorrow. :auto:

I saw a school bus in a parade this summer that had a sign which read "Where Every Child Belongs"

It made me furious. Every Child Ought to Go Here. The Nerve!!!

Then after I thought about it I thought maybe it was more of an inclusive anti-bullying kind of message. Where Every Child is Included.

English can be so confusing. :glare:

ETA: Not that the sign the OP saw was confusing. Just laughable.

We went to a "Night Out" event at one of the local high schools today. They had fire trucks, ambulances, etc for the kids to look at and lots of goodies for the kids and free stuff. The kids had a blast.

As we drove into the high school, the sign out front said: "Public school is your best choice."

:rofl:

A PS in our area (not the one we were at tonight) was recently ranked bottom 15% in the state. Really? That's our "best choice"? :thumbdown:

:scared:

I'll have to go back and get a picture tomorrow. :auto:

Around here it seems to be the only choice. I'm the only homeschooler I know within 50 miles or more. The local schools are in a big fight... I won't go into it because you just wouldn't understand, but it has to do with language.

The high school has so few students and so few teachers that in order to JUST meet the MINIMUM course requirements for graduation, students have to use distance ed and teleconnected courses (where the teacher is in a school somewhere else in the province and you watch that class, and are supposed to be able to buzz in and ask a question, when the two-way system is actually working ). Students who want to take university prep courses have to fight even harder and bend over backwards to get those courses on their own (again through distance ed).

And they have THE GALL to tell me that I "need" to send my kid to their school so he can get a "proper" high school accredited diploma.

:glare::glare::glare::glare:

Around here it seems to be the only choice. I'm the only homeschooler I know within 50 miles or more. The local schools are in a big fight... I won't go into it because you just wouldn't understand, but it has to do with language.

The high school has so few students and so few teachers that in order to JUST meet the MINIMUM course requirements for graduation, students have to use distance ed and teleconnected courses (where the teacher is in a school somewhere else in the province and you watch that class, and are supposed to be able to buzz in and ask a question, when the two-way system is actually working ). Students who want to take university prep courses have to fight even harder and bend over backwards to get those courses on their own (again through distance ed).

And they have THE GALL to tell me that I "need" to send my kid to their school so he can get a "proper" high school accredited diploma.

:glare::glare::glare::glare:

Here, our BEST school district is so overcrowded at the HS level that the school is insisting that the upperclassmen go through the virtual program. There is one other decent school district and the rest are floating on the manure pit.

Flint schools are absolutely terrible, too, and many have closed down due to our shrinking population and even-more-quickly-shrinking revenues.

So, on a street in our neighborhood is a huge high school and a huge middle school, both closed, partly boarded up.

In front, a sign still proclaims, "Flint Schools--Still the Best Choice."

Flint schools are absolutely terrible, too, and many have closed down due to our shrinking population and even-more-quickly-shrinking revenues.

So, on a street in our neighborhood is a huge high school and a huge middle school, both closed, partly boarded up.

In front, a sign still proclaims, "Flint Schools--Still the Best Choice."

Oh yes, Flint schools are the pits. Possibly not quite a abysmal as Highland Park, but pretty darn close.

I wonder how much math the administrators of these schools are capable of doing: they can't seem to understand the numbers. Most of the Flint city schools, not the outlying Genesee County schools (which are not peachy by any stretch of the imagination) received state rankings in the 40's. That's out of 100 - giving them a grade of "F" would be generous.

Now here's the real kicker, the high school my kids are zoned for - considered to be such a fine establishment of learning :tongue_smilie::glare: - the same school that elminated all AP's and honors course except English in order to make room for more remedial classes (hmmm, given the ranking maybe I now understand this a little better) received a whomping 38.

Yes, you read that right. They scored below Flint Classical Academy (NOT a classical educational facility by any definition of the word), Flint Southwestern, etc. they scored ON PAR with....are ready for this.....ONE OF THE HIGH SCHOOLS FROM HIGHLAND PARK!!!!!!! :cursing::cursing::cursing::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I can't even comprehend what their excuse for this is. They do not have the poverty, the drugs, the crime, the pimping, looting, pillaging, the run-down abandoned buildings, .....none of it. They deal with NONE of that and could not top HIGHLAND PARK!

The principals also rag on a little school district about 12 miles from here, very quiet little place, tiny hamlet, close knit community that managed to make an 85. I'm not certain how the administrators from school district, "We failed so miserably that you could send your kid to the ghetto and they'd get a better education" manage to come up with insults to fling at a school district that yes may only graduate 70 kids per year and has a LOT less money to work with, no bells or whistles and still manages a B while you have given a new definition to FAILING! I mean, what is a 38....if a 59 is an E, and a 49 is an F, then my guess is G and it doesn't stand for Good either...probably words beginning with G that are not mentionable in polite company.

Yet, same school's marquee says, "_______ Schools, giving out great educations here."

I think they've all been wearing their virtual reality headsets for FAAAAAAR too long or huffing glue in the lounge!

Faith

Oh yes, Flint schools are the pits. Possibly not quite a abysmal as Highland Park, but pretty darn close.

I wonder how much math the administrators of these schools are capable of doing: they can't seem to understand the numbers. Most of the Flint city schools, not the outlying Genesee County schools (which are not peachy by any stretch of the imagination) received state rankings in the 40's. That's out of 100 - giving them a grade of "F" would be generous.

Now here's the real kicker, the high school my kids are zoned for - considered to be such a fine establishment of learning :tongue_smilie::glare: - the same school that elminated all AP's and honors course except English in order to make room for more remedial classes (hmmm, given the ranking maybe I now understand this a little better) received a whomping 38.

Yes, you read that right. They scored below Flint Classical Academy (NOT a classical educational facility by any definition of the word), Flint Southwestern, etc. they scored ON PAR with....are ready for this.....ONE OF THE HIGH SCHOOLS FROM HIGHLAND PARK!!!!!!! :cursing::cursing::cursing::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I can't even comprehend what their excuse for this is. They do not have the poverty, the drugs, the crime, the pimping, looting, pillaging, the run-down abandoned buildings, .....none of it. They deal with NONE of that and could not top HIGHLAND PARK!

The principals also rag on a little school district about 12 miles from here, very quiet little place, tiny hamlet, close knit community that managed to make an 85. I'm not certain how the administrators from school district, "We failed so miserably that you could send your kid to the ghetto and they'd get a better education" manage to come up with insults to fling at a school district that yes may only graduate 70 kids per year and has a LOT less money to work with, no bells or whistles and still manages a B while you have given a new definition to FAILING! I mean, what is a 38....if a 59 is an E, and a 49 is an F, then my guess is G and it doesn't stand for Good either...probably words beginning with G that are not mentionable in polite company.

Yet, same school's marquee says, "_______ Schools, giving out great educations here."

I think they've all been wearing their virtual reality headsets for FAAAAAAR too long or huffing glue in the lounge!

Faith

Why haven't the parents/community in general gotten rid of the admin in this district?

In front of EVERY school in the town where we used to live were giant white letters that spelled out "EXEMPLARY". The schools in that town were ranked near the very bottom in the state!!! I cracked up every single time I drove by. One day when we drove by my 6-year-old yelled from the backseat "propaganda!!!!!" :lol: She must have heard me talking to myself on our previous trips by the signs.

Good or bad, for some families, public school IS the best choice. At some point it may be the best choice for one, or both, of my children.

I don't argue that at all. I absolutely support parents judging what is best for each child, and pursuing that.

However, if I saw such a generic statement in front of a grocery store or other establishment, I would still ask, "For what?" Because I think we all know that no single establishment can be all things to all people, and they generally specify areas in which they claim to surpass their competition.

Well, except the public schools, of course. In the 21st century, they are only just beginning to acknowledge that there are competing ideas for what education looks like.

Faith

Hi, I'm also in Michigan and have been looking for more information on the local schools. Do you have any good websites to share? Where is the testing information located? Thanks for any info. Lindsay

Hi, I'm also in Michigan and have been looking for more information on the local schools. Do you have any good websites to share? Where is the testing information located? Thanks for any info. Lindsay

If you google the 2011 school ratings, State of Michigan, they should pop up. I didn't save the website to my favorites list so I don't remember it exactly. schooldigger.com is another, US News and World Report also did their Top U.S. high schools. There are approximately 22,000 high schools in the U.S. Some Michigan schools made it based on their criteria...high school graduation rates, percentage of students taking AP classes and how many of those passed, literacy rates, etc. There was a list of criteria. Certainly, it doesn't give a comprehensive picture, but I can say those top 1000 schools they mention, are probably pretty decent academically...not saying what the school environment is. A bunch of them participate in Team America Rocketry Challenge each year and of that top 100 teams who are invited to compete at finals, the successful names have often been from those top 100-200 schools IF they are teams that aren't relatively new. The interesting thing is that the IB school in West Bloomfield - number 5 in the nation - doesn't have a team...but, then again, they can't do everything either!

Anyway, nothing in my county is on the radar of being decent. But, Frankenmuth, a couple of counties away, was 395 and they've always had a good reputation for not only academics, but even for classroom control, and decent learning environment. They like to stay on TOP and they don't suffer student body shenanigans that will get them knocked off their pedastal. I have NEVER seen a stricter public school ever. But, I've also never put a student through that school...I've only accompanied students for Solo and Ensemble and had piano and voice students from that district. So, I have to say that as an outsider. That was my impression for what it is worth.

Hope that helps.

Faith