Menu

Does being a delayed vaxer/non-vaxer disqualify a family from fostering?

I don't think so provided that the foster family complies with the instructions of the state (which generally has healthcare decision rights for foster kids) about the foster child's medical care. So probably not able to refuse vaccinations for the foster child unless they adopt them and then only after the adoption is final.

It has been a few years since we had foster kiddos, but it depended on what was going around and the danger to the foster kiddos. Generally the state does not care as much about how you parent your own kids as they do about how well you follow their rules concerning 'their' children. It depends a bit on the age too. We had to vax our kids to accept babies, but we have friends that only took kids over 5, and there was no mention of vaxing bio kids.

Good luck, we loved all of the kids who came through our home.

I don't think so provided that the foster family complies with the instructions of the state (which generally has healthcare decision rights for foster kids) about the foster child's medical care. So probably not able to refuse vaccinations for the foster child unless they adopt them and then only after the adoption is final.

Not in our state. My son that has fostered several children would never allow the med. staff to give more than one vaccine at a time either, even with the foster children.

ummmmm. I guess you are going to have to educate me a little. What in the heck is a delayed vaxer?

Delayed (deferred, postponed, slower) vaxer (vaccinater, or one who vaccinates, slang).

A delayed vaxer is a parent who is not entirely opposed to vaccines but chooses not to have them administered on the recommended schedule. Maybe they don't want to do three shots at once or use combined vaxes, or maybe they are following an alternate schedule for some other reason, or maybe they are going to do most of the recommended vaccinations but omit some of them.

It never even came up for us. We are not delayed/non-vaxers, but if our kids were younger, we would have done it differently. When we were going through the licensing process, it never even came up.

A few month ago, I had to take our foster daughter for a well baby check up. I did not think I had a say in how many shots she received that day, so I did not question it. I was appalled! She was so sick that night. When I talked to our SW the next day about it, she told us that while we would have to allow the vaccines-- if we were uncomfortable with having them all done at one time, we were allowed to make the decision to spread them out over a few weeks.

We were asked (it's weirdly unpopular to vaccinate in our community). I understood from the certifier that it'd be okay either way, as long as we fully vaccinated any foster kids on time. Luckily we're pro-vaccination so it hasn't been an issue.

Wasnt' an issue for us in Michigan and we just renewed our license yesterday.

With foster children you do need to take them to the standard schedule of well child checks, get the vaccines, etc. In our case, we could delay/spread out the shots as my girls had special medical care and the doctors ordered them to be delayed/spread out/other options used, etc.

I doubt you could refuse to vaccinate a foster child unless there was medical reasons to do so with a slip signed by the doctor but they never asked for our own kids.