Menu

Can we talk about kitties?

More questions, do any of you that have kitties also have parakeets?

Have any of you tried this litter box? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2S77C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This litter? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X29WK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of the issues we have in our home is chemical sensitivity so I know that we will need to get something that isn't fragranced or full of chemicals. Some of you talked about the natural wood but when we had bunnies I couldn't handle the cedar chips that we got for them so not sure the wood pellets would work for us.

Have any of you tried this litter box? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E2S77C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This litter? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X29WK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of the issues we have in our home is chemical sensitivity so I know that we will need to get something that isn't fragranced or full of chemicals. Some of you talked about the natural wood but when we had bunnies I couldn't handle the cedar chips that we got for them so not sure the wood pellets would work for us.

My mom has birds. I don't know what kind except they are loud and squawky. They have a cat now and she said they had to declaw her because of the birds. I don't know. Mine are indoor/outdoor cats, controversial I know, and need their claws.

I just learned that my dd 5 sometimes poops in the litter box too.

:blink:

I was telling DH how I'd discovered that she'd pooped in the bucket we keep in the bathroom. He laughed and mentioned the cat box.

Maybe you can teach your cat to poo in the toilet and leave the litter box to the 5 year old. Too funny!

YOU HAVE YOUR LITTER BOX IN YOUR LIVING ROOM!?!?!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Ok, I can now consider this a real possibility!:D

We are working on my DH and my oldest DS.:glare::toetap05: Like either of them does anything for the pets we have now.:confused:

I can officially tell them that at least one person has the litter box in the living room though.:001_smile:

The plan is to get a cabinet that is made to hold the litterbox so it'll blend in better.

We started with it in the living room then moved it to a bedroom. I actually liked it better in the living room. If I had a laundry room that would be great but I don't. With it in the living room it's quick and easy to clean it out. It's just worked for us.

My mom has birds. I don't know what kind except they are loud and squawky. They have a cat now and she said they had to declaw her because of the birds. I don't know. Mine are indoor/outdoor cats, controversial I know, and need their claws.

Yeah the pellets might be an issue. But I'd try them, they smell nothing like cedar chips. I actually just don't smell them at all. When we had bunnies and rats and such we had cedar and pine chips and those I could smell.

They are beautiful, Annie. Do they all get along well? Sounds like you brought them all in at different times.

The tortie and the tabby were litter mates, so they came to us at the same time. They get along okay, but the tortie is high-strung and gets upset if the tabby gets too rambunctious when playing.

The tortie hates the Maine Coon, who did come in later. The MC is very playful and he upsets her, she spits and hisses when he tries to play.

ETA: One funny thing was when the Maine Coon was a tiny kitten, he would jump on the tabby's back, who was 4 yrs old and much bigger, and bite his neck, being playful. And the tabby seemed to know the MC was just a baby and didn't like it but would tolerate it. As soon as the MC was grown, the tabby no longer tolerated his play biting and would bite him back and wrestle back. They get along well. Males seem to get along better.

Edited by Annie Laurie

The tortie and the tabby were litter mates, so they came to us at the same time. They get along okay, but the tortie is high-strung and gets upset if the tabby gets too rambunctious when playing.

The tortie hates the Maine Coon, who did come in later. The MC is very playful and he upsets her, she spits and hisses when he tries to play.

ETA: One funny thing was when the Maine Coon was a tiny kitten, he would jump on the tabby's back, who was 4 yrs old and much bigger, and bite his neck, being playful. And the tabby seemed to know the MC was just a baby and didn't like it but would tolerate it. As soon as the MC was grown, the tabby no longer tolerated his play biting and would bite him back and wrestle back. They get along well. Males seem to get along better.

This sounds a bit like our dogs. Our male blond labradoodle seems to always want to play when it is bed time. Our Aust. Shep. gets a bit feisty. After all she has been only napping all day. It is time for her to get some real beauty sleep.

Yeah the pellets might be an issue. But I'd try them, they smell nothing like cedar chips. I actually just don't smell them at all. When we had bunnies and rats and such we had cedar and pine chips and those I could smell.

Hmmm. If we would go this way we would need a regular litter pan. They don't clump, right?

Hmmm. If we would go this way we would need a regular litter pan. They don't clump, right?

They don't clump. But I've found much less odor with the wood than I ever had with any type of clumping clay. You can also use alfalfa or rabbit pellets - I tried that for awhile and it worked well. But one of my cats liked to eat them and I really didn't want her grazing in the litter box. . .

we have 6 litter boxes for our 8 cats. We keep 2 upstairs in the sun room, one in the back of the family room (is rarely , almost never used) and we used to have 3 in the downstairs bathroom but we just re did that bathroom and actually want to start using the shower for humans lol so I am keeping 3 of the litter boxes in a corner of the living room partially blocked by the sofa. I will also be ordering a room divider screen (6 ft high by choice of 3 ft or 6 ft wide) to hide the boxes.

I use Tidy Cat clumping litter. All of my cats are rescue kittens and they all get along except for one and she has become mostly an outside cat which she loves (she really hates the other cats so being outside is best for her). The rest will sometimes have little spats but mostly get along pretty well. Three of them are actual birth siblings and they really love each other even now at 4 years old.

I have those litter boxes. Not entirely happy with them though. They seemed to work great for a couple of days and I was happily rotating and removing clumps in the drawer UNTIL I realized that the bottom of the box was not getting clean. It could have been our litter (Tidy Cat Clumping)-maybe it isn't the clumpiest. Not sure but ended up taking out the slotted tray and using it as a regular litter box. I do like that the large size is good for my jumbo ragdoll. I'm in the process of trying out that litter but haven't formed any opinions yet. It is supposed to be very good and low on dust. I am finding the Tidy Cat we get is dusty so hoping this new stuff is better. Will know more in a few days.

Edited by 2cents
Edited to add- I'd avoid that corn based litter. It doesn't clump and my 5 kitties hated it. Nobody would use it!

I have those litter boxes. Not entirely happy with them though. They seemed to work great for a couple of days and I was happily rotating and removing clumps in the drawer UNTIL I realized that the bottom of the box was not getting clean. It could have been our litter (Tidy Cat Clumping)-maybe it isn't the clumpiest. Not sure but ended up taking out the slotted tray and using it as a regular litter box. I do like that the large size is good for my jumbo ragdoll. I'm in the process of trying out that litter but haven't formed any opinions yet. It is supposed to be very good and low on dust. I am finding the Tidy Cat we get is dusty so hoping this new stuff is better. Will know more in a few days.

Thanks. I wondered about that. I think we will start with a plain hooded box.

That's the litter we use and it's been great. We have 2 boxes for the 3 cats and my daughter cleans them twice a day (her chore since age 6). Right now one of the litter boxes is in the middle of our bathroom (we had to isolate the kitten for a couple of days after being spayed) and I have noticed no odor at all unless my daughter misses a cleaning. Even then it's not bad. Dr. Elsey's makes a Respiratory Relief version, aimed to help cats with respiratory issues, but it might be even better for your situation. I haven't tried it, so can't compare it with the regular kind.

We have ended up with this after Swheat Scoop, Tidy Cat, World's Best, and EverClean attempts over the years. EverClean was the second-best for us. The Dr. Elseys seems to clump much harder and not break apart when being scooped, which helps. If you have a Petsmart close by, it's about $5 cheaper than Amazon shows for the 40lb bag. We also chose to go with Banfield Pet Hospital this time (found inside Petsmarts, at least in our area). We have their wellness plans (sort of like an HMO for animals) and it's been well worth it even in the first two months.

Edited by KarenNC

We have 2 of these litterboxes and have been very happy with them. My kids are in charge of them too.

I've always have male cats. When I was picking our last kittens I really wanted a female but they were always much jumpier with my 2 year old at the time. Male cats have generally been more laid back in my experience.

This is my favorite litterbox ever: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-77000-Top-Entry-Litterbox/dp/B0002ZS20I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344217310&sr=1-1&keywords=clever+cat and we've had all sorts of boxes. I've had cats for the past 28 years. I like it because it's covered, but the cat isn't stuck with its head inside. No peeing on the side of the box or accidentally hanging a rump outside the hole. And they look so funny and philosophical with their heads sticking out the top as they do their business.

Male cats have generally been more laid back in my experience.

:iagree: We've always had female cats. I don't know why...they've all been strays who have found us, but I've never owned a male cat until 2009 when we acquired two from two different sources. They are the best cats we've ever had by far.

This is my favorite litterbox ever: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-77000-Top-Entry-Litterbox/dp/B0002ZS20I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344217310&sr=1-1&keywords=clever+cat and we've had all sorts of boxes. I've had cats for the past 28 years. I like it because it's covered, but the cat isn't stuck with its head inside. No peeing on the side of the box or accidentally hanging a rump outside the hole. And they look so funny and philosophical with their heads sticking out the top as they do their business.

I have looked at these. We have a dog that if my dil leaves a diaper in a garbage that isn't secured.......... Mess happens.:tongue_smilie:

They look deep though. Is it hard to get a kitten to use them?

:iagree: We've always had female cats. I don't know why...they've all been strays who have found us, but I've never owned a male cat until 2009 when we acquired two from two different sources. They are the best cats we've ever had by far.

I have always been leery of male cats do to the spraying. How young can or should you get a male fixed?

I have always been leery of male cats do to the spraying. How young can or should you get a male fixed?

You can fix them when they're over two pounds. I usually wait until mine are about 9 or 10 weeks, although some vets will do it sooner. It's a pretty simple procedure for the males, and I generally fix them earlier than my females. IF a male has never learned that he can spray...he won't start after he's been neutered. *Most* male cats will stop after they've been fixed, even if they're a bit older...up to a year or two. After that...it's pretty iffy.

It was a vet who told me that males cats were much better behaved with better temperments than females. Or, as he put it, "Female cats are all just this side of crazy." In my experience, that's been true. Not that our females aren't good cats, but honestly, they can be so touchy sometimes. Male cats are just more mellow. And all of the truly psychotic cats I've known have been females. :lol:

Diane already answered the second question, but I've had females with spraying problems even though they'd been spayed. Usually over territorial issues or a box that wasn't clean enough. We had our males fixed, one at three months and the other when we got him around 9-10 months. No problems so far.

Diane already answered the second question, but I've had females with spraying problems even though they'd been spayed. Usually over territorial issues or a box that wasn't clean enough. We had our males fixed, one at three months and the other when we got him around 9-10 months. No problems so far.

Ok, Thanks.

Now can we talk about declawing? I know there are some strong feeling against this. I really do hate having my furniture ripped up though. We don't have anything right now that is extra special but hoping to get new living room in a yr or so. Any time I have seen cats in a house that are not declawed I see the evidence on the furniture.

So convince me that I shouldn't get our new kitty, well, if we get a new kitty;), declawed.

I have looked at these. We have a dog that if my dil leaves a diaper in a garbage that isn't secured.......... Mess happens.:tongue_smilie:

They look deep though. Is it hard to get a kitten to use them?

Nope, not once he was a few weeks old and could hop and run around. I just put a little of his own urine and poop into the box and plopped him in. He scratched around, went, and then found his way out. Even though a determined dog could find his way into any litter box, the one with the side hole would probably be easier for him to get to.

Ok, Thanks.

Now can we talk about declawing? I know there are some strong feeling against this. I really do hate having my furniture ripped up though. We don't have anything right now that is extra special but hoping to get new living room in a yr or so. Any time I have seen cats in a house that are not declawed I see the evidence on the furniture.

So convince me that I shouldn't get our new kitty, well, if we get a new kitty;), declawed.

We used to declaw our cats. I wish that were still an option because my furniture is worse for the wear since I've changed my mind on that. But I just don't have the heart to do it anymore. Also, we live in the desert...lots of wildlife. They are indoor cats, but I want them to have a fighting chance in case they were to escape.

I wish I knew someone who has tried these: http://www.amazon.com/Feline-Soft-Claws-Take-Home-Small/dp/B00074W44E/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

I'm tempted to try them out, but I'm afraid I'd have to sedate my cats to fit them on.

I have been able to teach my 8 cats not to claw my new furniture. I have spray bottles that shoot out a long stream of water, placed in several rooms of my house. By now, all I have to do is pick up the bottle and that will stop whatever cat is even thinking about scratching the furniture. Also we have scratching posts in 3 rooms that my cats use a lot instead of the furniture.

We used to declaw our cats. I wish that were still an option because my furniture is worse for the wear since I've changed my mind on that. But I just don't have the heart to do it anymore. Also, we live in the desert...lots of wildlife. They are indoor cats, but I want them to have a fighting chance in case they were to escape.

I wish I knew someone who has tried these: http://www.amazon.com/Feline-Soft-Claws-Take-Home-Small/dp/B00074W44E/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

I'm tempted to try them out, but I'm afraid I'd have to sedate my cats to fit them on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I always want to see the "after" pictures of the owners who attempt to put those on their kitties. I would look like I'd gone through a wood chipper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't believe in declawing cats. I think it's cruel and takes away their only means of defending themselves. However, your furniture and carpets can take a beating with claws. I have several scratching posts around my house and my cats are fairly good about it. They will pull at the carpet occasionally, but we squirt them with a water bottle when we see it happening. Of course, they do it when we're not looking...because they're cats. :glare:

Keeping their claws well trimmed can help to alieviate the damage. Trim them when the kitty is very sleepy and it usually works well.

Ya, somehow I see putting those on being compared to giving a cat a bath.:lol:

milovaný, I would love for you to tell me how to get rid of my pesky 'center'.:tongue_smilie:

Go to User Control Panel and then Edit Signature. Scroll down to where you edit. In the upper right corner of the editing tool, look for the square that has a small A in the upper left corner and a larger italic A in the lower right corner. Click that. That opens your signature in HTML code. I'm guessing there there two

words right at the beginning. Erase one of them (including the brackets). Don't mess with anything else or you could make other funky formatting problems. Then click Save or whatever it says. Hope that works!

Go to User Control Panel and then Edit Signature. Scroll down to where you edit. In the upper right corner of the editing tool, look for the square that has a small A in the upper left corner and a larger italic A in the lower right corner. Click that. That opens your signature in HTML code. I'm guessing there there two
words right at the beginning. Erase one of them (including the brackets). Don't mess with anything else or you could make other funky formatting problems. Then click Save or whatever it says. Hope that works!

You were right. Sometimes my computer skills are non existent.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks.:001_smile:

Ok, Thanks.

I wouldn't declaw. Cats *can* be trained and I've never had an issue with any of our cats tearing up the furniture. As kittens, they might try to or act like they were going to, but redirection works with kittens. As long as you have a nice tall scratching post made with something good to scratch on, if you take them from the furniture and put them on the post and praise them and pretend to scratch it yourself, they can be taught pretty quickly. They're not praise driven like dogs, but they do respond to praise and like it. Catnip on the things they're allowed on also helps. I've found it's much easier to make a good scratching post rather than buy one - most of the affordable ones are way too short (a cat should be able to extend its front legs all the way up the post). You can use a cardboard tube newsprint comes or dimensional lumber (a 4x4 or secure a couple of 2x4s together) and then just wrap in carpet. You can often find carpet stores will give you throw away scraps that are big enough. My cats have always liked berber :)

If you provide enough toys/scratching areas/sleeping areas specifically for the cat(s) you can also train them to stay off the furniture completely.

I wouldn't declaw. Cats *can* be trained and I've never had an issue with any of our cats tearing up the furniture. As kittens, they might try to or act like they were going to, but redirection works with kittens. As long as you have a nice tall scratching post made with something good to scratch on, if you take them from the furniture and put them on the post and praise them and pretend to scratch it yourself, they can be taught pretty quickly. They're not praise driven like dogs, but they do respond to praise and like it. Catnip on the things they're allowed on also helps. I've found it's much easier to make a good scratching post rather than buy one - most of the affordable ones are way too short (a cat should be able to extend its front legs all the way up the post). You can use a cardboard tube newsprint comes or dimensional lumber (a 4x4 or secure a couple of 2x4s together) and then just wrap in carpet. You can often find carpet stores will give you throw away scraps that are big enough. My cats have always liked berber :)

Thanks for your input. I am leaning away from declawing. I figure that I will work with the kitty and if it isn't successful we will then look at something else. You have some very good ideas.

If you provide enough toys/scratching areas/sleeping areas specifically for the cat(s) you can also train them to stay off the furniture completely.

Thanks for your input. I am leaning away from declawing. I figure that I will work with the kitty and if it isn't successful we will then look at something else. You have some very good ideas.

You can use a cardboard tube newsprint comes or dimensional lumber (a 4x4 or secure a couple of 2x4s together) and then just wrap in carpet. You can often find carpet stores will give you throw away scraps that are big enough. My cats have always liked berber :)

You can also look at concrete forming tubes at the hardware store. They're thick cardboard tubes designed to hold concrete while it sets up. At Lowes, they come in 8, 10 and 12 inch diameters, 4 ft long, $6.26 to $11.33 depending on width. I've seen online instructions for using these in cat trees (including cutting them in half to make the rounded perches), covering in carpet. You do want to put a tall post on a wide enough base that it won't tip over when the cat jumps on it.

You can also look at concrete forming tubes at the hardware store. They're thick cardboard tubes designed to hold concrete while it sets up. At Lowes, they come in 8, 10 and 12 inch diameters, 4 ft long, $6.26 to $11.33 depending on width. I've seen online instructions for using these in cat trees (including cutting them in half to make the rounded perches), covering in carpet. You do want to put a tall post on a wide enough base that it won't tip over when the cat jumps on it.

More good ideas. Thanks. Making it would definitely be less expensive and could make it for the spot it will go.

the best Christmas present we ever got was from my nephew. He made us a floor to ceiling cat condo with 6 levels of perches and even an enclosed cat house on one level. I don't even want to think what it would have cost to buy in a store. He made it for us about 6 or 7 years ago and all of our cats just love it. They love to race across the room and run up the entire length of it to the ceiling when they are not sleeping on it and play fighting on who gets the very top perch.

the best Christmas present we ever got was from my nephew. He made us a floor to ceiling cat condo with 6 levels of perches and even an enclosed cat house on one level. I don't even want to think what it would have cost to buy in a store. He made it for us about 6 or 7 years ago and all of our cats just love it. They love to race across the room and run up the entire length of it to the ceiling when they are not sleeping on it and play fighting on who gets the very top perch.

Ok, You are going to have to stop!:lol::lol::lol: Now I want two kitties for sure.

That would be a great idea. It would be secured at both ends? I am thinking this will be a project for my dh and kids.:D

Ok, I have one more question. Is it harder to litter train 2 kitties than one. When we got the two pups I thought I would go bonkers as I never knew who did it.:tongue_smilie:

Cats typically are easy to litterbox train. You just want to keep the kitten(s) contained in a smaller area when you first get them so they don't have any trouble finding their litterbox (don't let them have the run of the house for a few weeks).

You guys have been great. The biggest hurdle is a place to put the litter box. The down stairs in rented, our garage isn't attached, don't have any porches, have to keep the door to the utility room closed all the time, don't want it in one of the bed rooms........ Does anyone have one 'hidden' behind a chair in the living room?

It really is a BIG hurdle.:tongue_smilie:

A long time ago I had a litterbox in the living room.

I had the box hid under one of those cheap little tables with three legs that you can buy at walmart. It had a cover over it with a round glass table top. I put the table almost against the wall and hiked the tablecloth up in the back where no one could see. It worked well and no one was the wiser.

Was your old cat an indoor/outdoor cat? Some people are not allergic to the cat, but rather what the cat rolls in while outside.

Just a thought.

RhondaM.

we did not have to anchor our cat condo, it is made of wood and is bigger at the bottom so is quite heavy and has never swayed or tipped over even when all 8 cats are on it.

regarding litter box training: I have never had to train a kitten to use its litter box, when we get a new kitten, I just show it where the litter box is and the kitten knows what to do. Now of course the new ones are probably watching the older ones and learn that way but even when we got our first 2 original kittens, I just put them in the box, scratched their little paws in the litter and they knew what to do.

Any kitten that I've ever had has already been litter trained. I think most kittens learn how to use the litter box from their mom before they are ever adopted out. We've always just shown the kitten where the litter box is and there has never been a problem.

We have 2 cats and im about to get rid of one. Im sorry, i LOVE animals but this 1 drives me bonkers.

We have had both of them since kittens though, both indoors, and they werent hard to train.

Litters......well, here are MY thoughts:

IF I needed a CHEAP litter, id get a clumping litter- EX: Scoop Away Extreme Odors or even Tody Cats Small Spaces. (we live in an apartment and their litter box is in the bathroom).

BUT if i wanted a GOOOOOOOOOOD litter?

Fresh Step Crystals. Its 8lbs for $14 at Walmart and for 2 cats it really does last 2 weeks and WORKS! I doubted it at first, but i LOVE it.

We have 2 cats and im about to get rid of one. Im sorry, i LOVE animals but this 1 drives me bonkers.

We have had both of them since kittens though, both indoors, and they werent hard to train.

Litters......well, here are MY thoughts:

IF I needed a CHEAP litter, id get a clumping litter- EX: Scoop Away Extreme Odors or even Tody Cats Small Spaces. (we live in an apartment and their litter box is in the bathroom).

BUT if i wanted a GOOOOOOOOOOD litter?

Fresh Step Crystals. Its 8lbs for $14 at Walmart and for 2 cats it really does last 2 weeks and WORKS! I doubted it at first, but i LOVE it.

Jen, can you tell me what problems you are having with the one kitty?

• 4 weeks later...