Menu

When in your mid 40's do you see your GYN for any changes in your cycle?

I am almost 45. I have always had light spotting before I get my periods. Been going on now for about 3 years. When it first started I would spot about 3- 5 days then get my period around day 25.

Then last year it changed. I would start spotting around day 25 and get my period on day 27-29.

Now, I started spotting on Monday, which was day 22. It has been 5 days and no period. I have never spotted longer then 5 days. No sign of my period yet.

I can usually tell when the spotting is going to start because my bOOks get sore about 2 days beforehand.

The spotting isn't usually enough to wear a pantiliner, but I always do just in case.

So this is a change for me.

I go to the GYN every year. He knows about it. Nothing has ever shown up on internal ultrasounds, or uterine biopsies, etc. Short of Lap surgery, there is no way to tell if I have some hidden polyps somehwere. And I am not willing to go through that. Unless absolutely necessary. I cannot be put on BCP, already tried the IUD. And I have a pack of mini-pills that I never took(I hate synthetic hormons) and progesterone cream never worked for me.

I hate Dr's. I hate tests, I hate the waiting, and the run arounds.

I know at my age things are going to start changing. So is this something I need to see my GYN for because my spotting has changed and is going longer now(this is the first month this has happened), or just accept the fact that my cyles are changing again?

I saw him in October of last year, and all was fine.

I just don't want to run to the GYN everytime there is a change in my cycle and I know in the perimenopausal years that is going to happen. I just don't know when it warrants a trip to see the GYN. I know these years can be a roller coaster ride. But I tend to over react and WANT to run to the Dr. for reassurance, but OTOH I just HATE Dr's. Seems you are just opening yourself up for a can of worms.

And I had such a good month last mont. 2 days of spotting, got it on day 27, and only lasted 5 days which out of those 5 days, day 2 was my heaviest as alawys, the the last 3 days are very light to spotting on last day then done.

Did I mention I hate Dr's??

Edited by dancer67

Well, I went to my dr (family practice PA, but she does my gyn stuff) when things were changing--she said my changes (in amt) were normal. Things get wonky in perimen. I wouldn't be concerned, but I do think a yearly physical is a good thing, just to check on basic health changes and keep a record of those changes and questions. So, since Oct is coming up, maybe a visit then would be reassuring. Of course, I have a great relationship with my dr and go to her whenever for whatever. And, even tho I get scared sometimes, too, about "finding something," IME it's much better to find something in the beginning than later, as things are more treatable before they progress, and knowing really is better stress-wise than not knowing--the stress of not-knowing, tho tamped down in my head somewhere, lurks there and affects me more than I realize, coming out in other ways.

Edited by Chris in VA

I was complaining to my CFS/FM doc about having a two week cycle and he said he'd run some tests but "at your age, everything's sort of a moving target." :glare: He's lucky I like him an awful lot.

So, yeah, it seems like he's right. There isn't anything else going on, so I am just tracking (yeah, I actually got an app. Don't judge me) my 14 - 40 day cycle and feeling like a 12 year old who never knows when it will start. Sigh.

If there has been checking and everyone is aware of the oddness... I wouldn't make a special appointment to talk about it more.

If you go to the dr. with every change, you're going to be spending a lot of time there in the next few years.

Also, by the time you make the appointment and get there, you'll probably have started your period.

Just make sure to talk about the realm of "normal" at your next annual visit.

I'm 48 yo and things have been very unsettled for the past year or so. I almost never go to the doctor though, as like you I hate all the tests and waiting, etc. I always feel that visits to the doctor cause more distress than many symptoms or problems because of the anxiety they produce. I know I should get checked out more regularly than I do, but I would say that if you're getting checked once a year then you should be fine.

If you go to the dr. with every change, you're going to be spending a lot of time there in the next few years.

Also, by the time you make the appointment and get there, you'll probably have started your period.

Just make sure to talk about the realm of "normal" at your next annual visit.

This is exactly it. I have health anxiety so it doesn't make this any easier. I always go to the worse case scenarios. I hate Dr's as it gives me more anxiety, but then I fear if I don't go if things change, what if it is something more then just hormones? Ugh.

I have my yearly due in October. By then who knows what my cycle will be doing.

I just wish menopause would get here and be done with all this wonkiness. I have no other signs of perimenopause other then the spotting, sore bOOks, and a slightly heavier period on day 2 then how it used to be 5 years ago.

I take iron pills. So when my period finally goes, I can get rid of those as well.

I have asked around and it doesn't seem then many perimenopausal women spot prior to their period. I feel like I am the only one :tongue_smilie:

I have asked around and it doesn't seem then many perimenopausal women spot prior to their period. I feel like I am the only one :tongue_smilie:

:seeya: Me, I do! For a good three days or so beforehand. This started about a year ago and has happened every time since; I find it very annoying as I'm never quite sure when I'll be in full flow, as it were.

You're still within normal pre-menopausal cycles. Mine is all over the map now, and I don't have the clear warning signs like I once did. I used to know each phase and exactly when it would come. Now I just wait and if I have a day of aches and hot flashes, I know what is next.:glare:

:seeya: Me, I do! For a good three days or so beforehand. This started about a year ago and has happened every time since; I find it very annoying as I'm never quite sure when I'll be in full flow, as it were.

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. It is BEYOND annoying. I have been dealing with this for 3 years now. It was usually 3 days of it, now it is day 5, still potting, no period. Double ugh!

Getting old just.............bites.:willy_nilly:

You're still within normal pre-menopausal cycles. Mine is all over the map now, and I don't have the clear warning signs like I once did. I used to know each phase and exactly when it would come. Now I just wait and if I have a day of aches and hot flashes, I know what is next.:glare:

I think this is going to be a long ride, and I want to get off.:auto:

My periods havent changed much, but i never had PMS before about 2 years ago, and it now keeps getting worse. I'm 47, and last time I had an annual my ob-gyn told me it'd be a few more years . . i'm SO ready to be DONE! I guess it has gotten slightly heavier? I feel like I resent my periods more now that I'm really done making babies! But the doctor cant really do anything, right? I mean, having wonky periods isnt a health emergency, its just . . a change

I don't make appointments for changes but I have called to see if I should make an appointment. My gyn is really good about calling back within 24 hours. I do go for annual checkups so she knows me and makes notes about how my cycles have been. She usually asks if things are going the same or if they've changed. So far my changes have been minor and normal.

If you're not sure if it's appointment-worthy maybe just give your doc a call and ask.

my cycles changed in my late 30's/early 40's. Initially, it turned out to be hypothyroid. Now, just changes in hormone levels.

eta: if you do call, make sure the dr get's the message. my sil's dr's nurse didn't think it was a big deal and told her she didn't need to come in. later, the dr wanted to know why she didn't come in sooner.

I am going to see how this month plays out. If I keep spotting and no period and I'm not pregnant, I will call. Especially if I pass day 29. I am on day 26 right now.

Again, I hate all of this. So done!

If you're only at day 26, I wouldn't worry at all. I get the same thing (I'm 48.) It's a real nuisance, but my doctor says that once you're in your 40's, all bets are off, and unless you're having horribly heavy periods fewer than 20 days apart or weird spotting nowhere near your period or the time of ovulation, everything is probably fine.

But any time anything seems a little abnormal, I sort of panic anyway. Then I somehow manage to convince myself that I'm being an idiot, and I get over it.

I go for annual exams, but that's generally the only time I see my gyn. I told him he should let me know if the yearly exams are really necessary, or if he just misses me if he doesn't see me once a year. I told him that, if it was all the same to him, maybe this year I could be exempted from the physical exam and we could just go out to lunch instead, but he wouldn't go for it. ;)

If you're only at day 26, I wouldn't worry at all. I get the same thing (I'm 48.) It's a real nuisance, but my doctor says that once you're in your 40's, all bets are off, and unless you're having horribly heavy periods fewer than 20 days apart or weird spotting nowhere near your period or the time of ovulation, everything is probably fine.

But any time anything seems a little abnormal, I sort of panic anyway. Then I somehow manage to convince myself that I'm being an idiot, and I get over it.

I go for annual exams, but that's generally the only time I see my gyn. I told him he should let me know if the yearly exams are really necessary, or if he just misses me if he doesn't see me once a year. I told him that, if it was all the same to him, maybe this year I could be exempted from the physical exam and we could just go out to lunch instead, but he wouldn't go for it. ;)

LOL:lol:He turned you down for LUNCH? Humph!

Yea, yea. I know. I have been told by many people that once you hit your 40's things can change in a drop of a hat. So far, no periods coming before day 20(thank goodness). I was , in my early year every 30 days, then went to every 25 days for about the past three years, and the past year I was about every 28 days, now who the heck knows. I have never spotted earlier then day 24. I started on day 22. Ugh.

I really think men have it easier. Or not..... they have to put up with our mood swings;)

Well, surprise surprise. Auntie Flo showed up late last night after 5 days of spotting. I sure hope I don't start up with this 5 days of spotting baloney again. I don't mind the 3 day thing, but 5 days? GAH! Good thing that when I spot it isn't even enough to wear a panitliner. Just annoying! So I am on time, Day 27.

Still praying to the menopause goddess to let me start skipping periods!

My doc told me a few years ago to just quit counting. It is easier that way. Last time I went, she asked how they were and I told her they were strange and irregular. She smiled and said that that's perfectly normal. Some months are heavy; some are not. Some are long and some are short. If you don't like doctors, try to relax and trust your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I would ask your doctor what a worrisome change would be at your next appointment (whether it is for your current concern or your annual visit) and then act accordingly from there.

That is actually a good idea. Thanks.

And I always track my periods, but like you said it can be different from month to month. Sure was easier when I was younger and on BCP!!!!

I still say getting old really stinks.:tongue_smilie: