Menu

Summer day camp - would you say anything?

What would be your reaction?  

1. 1. What would be your reaction?

• Pull ds from the camp.
    • Talk/complain to the camp director.
    • Quietly ask the counselors not to tell any more stories.
    • Do nothing / instruct ds not to listen to the stories.
    • Other

This situation played out yesterday and today, and I'll post the rest of my explanation when there are a few votes.

Yesterday, at my 9 year old's theatre camp, two counselors told scary stories to a small group of kids, aged 8-10. The kids didn't have to listen to the stories, it was just something to do while they ate their lunch and snack, but my son was sitting with his friends and listened to all the stories. They involved murdered kids, murdered dogs, eyeballs being ripped out, etc. My son didn't mention anything for a few hours after I picked him up, but when he started getting ready for bed he got really upset, wouldn't sleep in his own bed, etc. This morning, it continued and he was afraid to leave our dog home alone. He is the most sensitive of my kids, but he hasn't done anything like this in at least two years.

What would be your reaction? What would you have done in this situation?

I would start with talking to the camp counselors but if it continues I would talk to the director. Even if it was my youngest son who is not sensitive, I would not be ok with them telling stories of that nature to kids. If they want to tell stories than they need to be stories that teach something worthwhile, not stories that are meant to scare kids.

That sounds like typical immature counselor behavior. I'd tell the counselors to please stop scaring the kids. No need to make a big issue of it if they respectfully agree to stop.

:iagree: I don't think it's something to make a fuss over, but you could just let them know that it isn't appreciated if you want. That said, I think it's pretty common among day camp kind of situations.

Something like this happened to mine recently at scouts camp--

I went right to the camp directors. Not only do they have the authority to correct the counselors, the directors need to learn that this should be part of the counselors' training for next year. Of course the counselors are too young to know better, that is why they are trained by adults.

This kind of thing makes me really mad, BTW.

:iagree: I don't think it's something to make a fuss over, but you could just let them know that it isn't appreciated if you want. That said, I think it's pretty common among day camp kind of situations.

I have never been involved in a theayre or day camp with scary stories; overnight camp, yes, but I was older. I would speak to the director. The director needs to know, they need to deal with their employee/volunteers, not you. As a business owner, when my teenage assistants do something, I want the parent to speak to me. It is my job to control my assistants.

I have been a camp director and I would suggest that is who you talk to for a few reasons. First, you can do this without any of the kids knowing. It might be hard to talk to the counselors without kids in earshot. Second, the director can address all the counselors so it doesn't happen around any of the kids and third, it can be added to staff training for next time.

this is the same dynamic of every complaint. my basic rule is always talk directly to the person responsible, not their boss. this gives them a chance to explain things from their side, correct things immediately, and does not directly threaten their jobs. this is a sign of respect that everyone deserves until they show they don't. this is only for the first time. after that, with a second offense, i might give them another chance but it is a matter of choice at that point. 3 offenses and one has to assume they don't learn.

Sorry! I meant to come right back here.

Thanks for all the responses! They're about what I expected. :)

I took my son into camp a little early this morning (he didn't want to be seen with me, of course ;)) and spoke briefly with his counselor. I just said that I thought this group was a little young for their stories, and that I'd packed some Mad Libs for something different to do at lunch. He caught the hint that my son had been scared, apologized to both of us on the spot, assured him that the stories were made up and as I was walking away I heard him ask about the Mad Libs. When I left, I considered sending an e-mail to the camp director, just to keep him in the loop, but decided to leave it for a day and see how it went.

When I went back at pick-up, my son was bursting to tell me about the two crazy mothers who'd verbally attacked the camp director on his way in, and how they had yelled at the (mostly teenage) counselors by name from across the lobby.

My husband said I was overreacting. :001_rolleyes:

I see you've already handled it.

I voted that I would tell the camp director, and I think I stand by that vote.

I wouldn't do it in a complaining way, but I'd want the camp director to know so that this kind of thing can be addressed during training in the future.

Given my preference, I'd send an e-mail worded something like this:

Dear Camp Director--

My son, name, has been enjoying day camp so much! He loves . . . .

We did have one concern, however, that I wanted to share with you. It seems that camp counselors have been telling scary stories to the kids during lunches. I'm certain they were just trying to entertain the campers, but the stories were a little much for my son and some of the other campers.

I spoke briefly to counselor, who was apologetic and helpful. I think the situation has been resolved for this particular camp session. But I wanted to do you the courtesy of making sure you are aware of it, also.

Again, kid's name is having such a good time!

Thanks so much for your attention.

-- Mom's Name

When I went back at pick-up, my son was bursting to tell me about the two crazy mothers who'd verbally attacked the camp director on his way in, and how they had yelled at the (mostly teenage) counselors by name from across the lobby.

My husband said I was overreacting. :001_rolleyes:

I probably will be one of those also. It is inappropriate for 8-10 yrs old. the counselor should have some common sense

I would ask the director to tell them not to do that anymore. I'd be really ticked off, a lot of kids that age are still too young/sensitive/impressionable for that sort of thing and I know it would affect my kids at bedtime, too!

I would go to the director, too. The reason is that if I as a parent said something, I could get blown off or my kid singled out. It is likely just really poor judgment on some young people's parts, but their boss needs to deal with it.

Your son was clearly affected and he may be living with that quite a while.