Menu

A vent (long): complications

I am feeling overwhelmed. I quit my job at Target in January on a leap of faith. My DH found employment in March, and we miraculously thought we had caught up and were going to get ahead. One job didn't pan out as well as we hoped, so he's barely made what we thought he would make in 1 month for the the entire duration of his employment so far. (No exaggeration...)

DH can't find suitable employment (with or without his degree...). He's been applying and trying. His part-time job covers most of the bills, and "whatever" his second job pays covers the rest (barely). We can't rely on the income though. It's "supposed" to pick up again in Aug/Sept.

I had applied to a 7-week Phlebotomy training course at a local hospital because of the difficulties my DH is having with getting hours at this job and I have no other marketable skills. I am waiting to hear back (should be by the end of this week) to see if I got in. The program will eat about 1/3 of our savings between child care, gas, and tuition cost. It's a full-time, Monday-Friday program. (yes, big part of why I am freaking out!)

I had planned on starting Pre-K with DS and some other fun things I had planned out. So I said well, "we will still have Saturdays" for the fun things, and I can just delay the Pre-K a bit longer. (feels guilty).

And then today, at the Dr., he outlined a very intensive plan for helping my DD gain weight-- which is great. Except I am not sure how I am going to manage this and the phlebotomy program (since DD and DS would have to be in daycare for most weekdays!)

I am feeling overwhelmed and trying to make headway but i feel like I am a rat on a wheel here. Oh, and my DH's car is about to run itself into the ground. We were supposed to have my car paid off by Dec, but because of his job situation we weren't able to make any of the headway we thought we were going to be able to to pay it off early.

Will it ever stop?

Whatever you do, don't give up your phlebotomy course.

I remember your threads from the past, and it's very important for you to have a marketable skill, and while I know this may be a stretch for you (both financially and personally) for you right now because of all of your other responsibilities, in the end, it will be so much better for you than just taking another "Target-type" job.

Sorry you have so many conflicting things going on all at once. :grouphug:

I remember your threads from the past, and it's very important for you to have a marketable skill, and while I know this may be a stretch for you (both financially and personally) for you right now because of all of your other responsibilities, in the end, it will be so much better for you than just taking another "Target-type" job.

:iagree:

It will be hard to arrange the commute and childcare, but worth it!

:iagree:

In the grand scheme of things, 7 weeks is a very short amount of time. It is an incredibly short period of time in which to gain a marketable set of skills. It is a wonderful investment of your time to gain training that will allow you to provide well for your children's needs for much longer than 7 weeks in the future. Think about it - how fast have the last 7 weeks of your life gone by? If it's like many of us, it was May, you blinked, now it's August.

It will be hard in the midst of it, but don't give up. If your dh isn't working, he can handle more at home. Even if he doesn't really want to.

Thank you so much for your support.

I agree it will be better than a Target-type job.

Worst case scenario, I will have to email her Dr. and see if we can modify his plan until I complete the program. It took us a year to get into to see this Dr, and I feel like we waited so long and we finally got what we wanted/needed. With her (possibly) in daycare, it would be almost impossible to control what she eats/when. I am sure he will be understanding if that happens.... or I guess I could look for a daycare that would work with us and follow his strict requirements. (I haven't yet talked to this daycare about the requirements, but she is daycare run out of a home and we only use her on an "as-needed" basis)

At least I have a month to prepare, right?:lol:

It will be hard in the midst of it, but don't give up. If your dh isn't working, he can handle more at home. Even if he doesn't really want to.

Thank you for your support!!

DH is currently working 2 jobs. We don't know his schedule for Sept yet, but hopefully he will be getting 35 hrs at one job, and 25 hrs at the other (this one is set in stone...) If he gets hours at both jobs like that, he would probably be out of the house from 4a-4p, possibly later. We don't know his schedule yet, so it's all just speculation.

The phlebotomy program runs from about 6 or 7a-4p and has an 45+ min commute. :glare:

:grouphug:

I had my first two children in college, and it was a challenge to finish. Although my life is probably more difficult now, I think of that time as the hardest thing I've ever done. My sons were 3 and 1 when I graduated. Homeschooling with 6 kids is also a lot of work, but I don't feel as stressed now as I did when I was younger. So, life doesn't get any easier, but you will more than likely get better at dealing with it :).

I had to hold my nose, put the kids in daycare and just it done. At the time I had no plans to homeschool, I have a degree in education. I did teach for a few years, we needed the money at the time. We are fortunate that my husband now makes enough that I can stay home, but it is nice to have my degree as a backup.

I can't give you advice on what you should do, because I do not know the specifics about your dd's health condition or your finances. But I know that a state accredited day care would be required to meet any special dietary needs, even if it means the parents provide special meals for the child. Would you be more comfortable if you could find in home child care? Would there be any options for someone to come to your home and watch your children? There may even be a few college students in the education dept. who would be able to do this on a rotating schedule?

Life is hard right now, but keep your eye on the prize!

I agree with Catwoman that you should continue your education in a marketable skill. You mentioned that phlebotomy school would cost a big percentage of your income. I was wondering .... are you going to a for profit trade school? If yes, you may find a much less expensive program at a local community college; our community college also has an onsite daycare.

It is hard juggling school, work, and a family, but you will be glad you chose to do so. When your husband finds a new or better job, you can always scale back your work hours.

In the grand scheme of things, 7 weeks is a very short amount of time. It is an incredibly short period of time in which to gain a marketable set of skills. It is a wonderful investment of your time to gain training that will allow you to provide well for your children's needs for much longer than 7 weeks in the future. Think about it - how fast have the last 7 weeks of your life gone by? If it's like many of us, it was May, you blinked, now it's August.

It will be hard in the midst of it, but don't give up.

:iagree: Hang in there!

Is there a chance that you could take the phlebotomy program at a junior college? It would take longer than 7 weeks but I think the class times might be more flexible. I looked into doing a phlebotomy certification a few years ago, and almost all the classes were offered on-line. The cost might be cheaper, too, at least, in California it would be. Just a thought. :grouphug:

Well, I can tell you how I get protein down my child... and you can see if any of it would work...

I can do 1 cup of Wallaby's Greek Yogurt. (Put honey, Agave, or jam)

3 Tbs of Ground Hemp seeds. (Buy shelled and I grind the whole packet in my Vitamix and stick in the freezer. You can also grind a bit at a time in a clean coffee grinder)

I buy Organic Rudy's English Muffins(5 grams of protein), Nutella (BTW, you can get organic lower sugar chocolate/hazelnut spread) (2 Tbs, 3 TBS protein) and, Hemp (3 TBS, 11 grams)

Hot dogs with nothing but celery added are a choice, occasionally, if you do those.

Greek Yogurt popsicles..... (Yogurt with things added)

If you do peanut butter, you could easily make those peanut butter balls with ground hemp seed added.... I think they would be incredible. (regretfully I can't do those... peanut allergy in the house...)

Chocolate Milk with Agave instead of sugar... and use cream or half and half for some of the milk...

So, I know you have ideas from your DR, but these are just a couple of mine...

Good Luck!!! I wish I could make some decent money!! :)

I just got the letter in the mail. I was not selected for the program. I must have blown the interview. I just don't understand. :crying:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry, Ashley.

Can you call them and ask why you weren't selected? Is there any sort of waiting list?

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry, Ashley.

Can you call them and ask why you weren't selected? Is there any sort of waiting list?

She said I could put my name on a list of applicants to be considered for the next program that starts in January. I don't know how I could politely ask why I wasn't selected without sounding offended.

She said I could put my name on a list of applicants to be considered for the next program that starts in January. I don't know how I could politely ask why I wasn't selected without sounding offended.

Tell her that you want to know, because you'd like to do everything possible to be sure you are accepted into the January program.

If they didn't accept you this time, why would they accept you in January if your qualifications are still the same?

I suspect you might have been perfectly qualified, but they had too many applicants for this session, but I think you should ask so you're sure.

I'm sure there is someone here who knows how to word this better than me. However, you tell them participation in their program is very important to and for that reason you would like to know how to improve yourself as a candidate. What were the weaknesses in your current application and if she has any suggestions on how to improve.

I forgot to mention this in my last post, but when you call, ask if it's OK to call right before the new session begins, just in case there was a last-minute cancellation. You never know -- if someone cancels and you call, you might get to fill the space.