Menu

My ds killed someone's stereotyping of homeschoolers last night.

A mother and I were talking. She and her 16yo daughter were going on and on about how funny and cute my 11yo was.

A little later, she said something about someone having people spend the night at his house. Then she said, "Wait, I think he is homeschooled, so maybe he doesn't have anyone spend the night.":001_huh:

I said, "My kids are homeschooled and they have people spend the night!"

She looked at me, astonished, and said, "You homeschool ALL of them?" I answered yes.

She looked at my 11yo, and said, "YOU'RE homeschooled?!?!?!":lol:

I guess she won't think that all homeschoolers are weird, socially awkward hermits anymore.:tongue_smilie:

Love it.

Last fall when my dd18 and her friends were doing their college searches, her PS friends and their families told dd over and over that she would not be accepted anywhere because she did not have a High School diploma.

:lol::lol::lol:

One of her team members from Mock Trial told her flat out "you can't go to college if you didn't go to high school".

:glare: yeah...and then the acceptances starting rolling in.:glare:

Funny! my kids are not typically allowed sleepovers, and it has nothing to do with how they are schooled. Even if they went to ps I would be hard pressed to allow it. Ds13 has been to 2 in his life, 3 years apart. The 2nd only happened because I knew the family was as strict as me, (and their boy who is in ps is as social awkward as ds). The 1st one, the mom left all the kids home alone and went down the block to the bar to get drunk. My oldest was 10, dd was there too and was 9. SHe left them whith their 8&9 year old friends and the 1 year old baby. So the sleepover became an unpaid babysitting job. anyway, I digress. What a weird thing for them to think, that being allowed to do sleepovers is tied to the form of education you receive.

We live outside of our little town and I used to think our son might not have many friends growing because of location and being homeschooled. He has groups of kids over here all the time, sleepover parties, camp outs in the back yard, etc. Very unsocialized.

Funny! my kids are not typically allowed sleepovers, and it has nothing to do with how they are schooled. Even if they went to ps I would be hard pressed to allow it. Ds13 has been to 2 in his life, 3 years apart. The 2nd only happened because I knew the family was as strict as me, (and their boy who is in ps is as social awkward as ds). The 1st one, the mom left all the kids home alone and went down the block to the bar to get drunk. My oldest was 10, dd was there too and was 9. SHe left them whith their 8&9 year old friends and the 1 year old baby. So the sleepover became an unpaid babysitting job. anyway, I digress. What a weird thing for them to think, that being allowed to do sleepovers is tied to the form of education you receive.

That is weird. Many homeschoolers I know allow and encourage sleepovers, but I don't. I was starting to think that homeschoolers were the ones that did lots of sleepovers, and we were the weird ones.

That is weird. Many homeschoolers I know allow and encourage sleepovers, but I don't. I was starting to think that homeschoolers were the ones that did lots of sleepovers, and we were the weird ones.

My kids are grown or pretty much grown now, so we are past the sleepover stage. However, we were always VERY, VERY selective about sleepover venues, even when my children attended school (back in our Japan days). There were two families we allowed to host our children on occasion and we occasionally hosted their children.

My son had invites for sleepovers shortly after we moved to the States (he was 5.5-6.5yo at the time). We declined because we barely knew the families, not because of some pre-conceived notion that we would never do sleepovers. After that, ds didn't get invited for sleepovers, though he still played with those boys regularly for several years. My girls went to a small handful of sleepovers before they finished high school, but again, not lots. When they were in high school, we were still very selective about which ones we allowed, but we did allow some.

You forgot overprotective in your description.

No, homeschool kids are not all weird, overprotected, religious and socially awkward.

hmmm....I'm all of the above :lol: Well definitely weird & socially awkward anyway :tongue_smilie:

And my kids are none of the above :lol: Except Atlas, who does believe in God.

:iagree:

My boys have heard the "you're homeschooled?!" thing too. They look as if they'd fit right into public school. And one of my boys would dominate the clique.

But I'm not wild about sleepovers either. We've had nice, homschooled kids steal toys (admitted to it and gave a truck load of stuff back), another public school kid was talking in the dark bedroom when it was time to sleep about adults and stuff they do vs. scary monster stories (which would have been fine) and still another wanted to go home at 1 a.m.

Lot of work policing the bad behavior and driving the nice ones home when I'm bleary eyed.

And if they're at somebody else's house. . . are the parents properly policing? I doubt it. I really do.

Alley