Menu

My heart is breaking for one of my old scouting families

Heard terrible news today. I was stopped at the parade by a parent from our scouting group to hear that the little sibling of one of my beavers from last year was run over and killed a few weeks ago. She assumed I knew as I was the primary leader, and the scout master's wife had apparently sent out a mass email to everyone, except me. So just finding out now. They were very sweet and very involved in the group. Apparently the mom was backing out of the drive and didn't know the little one was behind her and back over him. He was airlifted to the stollery but they could not save him. I can not imagine the guilt that momma must feel over such an accident.

(sorry for the bolding. I was c/p it from my facebook and it will not let me turn off the bolding)

:grouphug:

This is one of my worst fears, especially with my youngest who is super impulsive. I can't tell you the times I've stopped (repeatedly) and gotten out to check and make sure none of them are behind me. Usually, if I know they are out (and they are around the drive), I make them stand on the carport while I back out. It's the notion that he might get out or zip around me without my knowing that scares the wax out of me.

:grouphug: I can't imagine how horrific this must be for the family. My dh's cousin was run over by her dad when he was in the tractor. My dh witnessed it and still finds it hard to handle years later if it's brought up. I hope that family has a good support system.

:grouphug:

This is one of my worst fears, especially with my youngest who is super impulsive. I can't tell you the times I've stopped (repeatedly) and gotten out to check and make sure none of them are behind me. Usually, if I know they are out (and they are around the drive), I make them stand on the carport while I back out. It's the notion that he might get out or zip around me without my knowing that scares the wax out of me.

Me too. It is a huge fear of mine.

From what I am finding out now, mom was heading out for an errand, the kids were inside with dad. Baby was just about 18 months. Mom did her usual walk around the car to check for bikes etc, and got in. Since she had done a walk around and kids were supposed to be inside with dad she felt safe backing up. Apparently baby got out of the house and tried to follow mom, and tragically he was behind the car as she drove.

It is a parent's worst nightmare to bury their child, but I think it is a fear 1000 times worse to be the one that caused that death.

How TRAGIC. I don't know how the mom will ever forgive herself, even though it was an ACCIDENT!!! I *almost* backed over dd9 a few years back. I was totally hysterical. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my back-up camera and will probably always have one now. I think they should be mandatory!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: i know this must be such a shock for you.