Menu

Your favorite things for biology?

Farrar

Planning life science for next year for my boys, who will be 8 in the fall. What were your favorite things for life science? Books, movies, experiments, etc. I'm not really looking for a curriculum (I prefer to plan myself for science) but anything short of that...

And did you do animal dissections for elementary? If so, what? I'm a bit on the fence about it, but my boys saw all the dissection possibilities in the Home Science Tools catalog and are now over the moon with the idea. One of my ds actually says at unexpected moments, "Sheep brain!" I'm not sure if this is a sign he'll be a crazy person or a biologist when he grows up. :tongue_smilie:

Good read alouds (nature studyish) mostly vintage.

Wild Season by Allan W. Eckert (food chains, be aware a snake eats a baby bunny--mommy cried, boy said "Cool.")

Plants and Their Children by Mrs. William Starr Dana (beginning botany) can be read on GoogleBooks or available used.

Insect Ways by Clarence M. Weed (abebooks)

The Living Year by Richard Headstrom (the seasonal round)

Adventures with Insects by Richard Headstrom (hands on investigations)

Adventures with a Microscope by Richard Headstrom

Adventures with Freshwater Animals by Richard Headstrom

Edited by Kalmia

DVDs: (all by BBC, oddly enough)

Planet Earth

Blue Planet

The Secret Life of Mammals

The Secret Life of Birds

Books:

Clara Dillingham Pierson's Complete Among the People Series

One Small Square books

Mysteries and Marvels of Nature

Fabre's Book of Insects

Basher Biology

Any David Attenborough DVD - they are truly amazing and will mesmerize my kids for hours. Content warning - the insect one is basically an hour of insects mating, after which my dd6 had *lots* of interesting questions! ;)

Another favorite was The View From the Oak by Kohl - all about point of view in space and time, and what the world looks like to you if you are an insect/bird/mammal/etc. Really wonderful, and such a different perspective than most science books for kids. The Magic of Reality is another essential resource at our house. It's not all related to biology, but several chapters are and it has an excellent discussion of natural selection/evolution, if you are looking for such a thing.

Videos... So many wonderful videos! Too many to name. Watch them all. :D

Life in a Bucket of Soil

A World in a Drop of Water

Pond Water Zoo

The Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope

Benny's Animals and How He Put Them in Order

The Kingdoms of Life: Classification

Living Sunlight (My kids love this book.)

Insectigations

Gardening Wizardry for Kids (love the relations to history in this book)

DK Natural History (also Ocean, Animal, etc. My kids are lovers of coffee table books.)

Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method

There are too many more to list. You can get something at the library for a study of biomes/habitats and animals/adaptations, etc. The highlight of biology for my kids was making life-size cut-outs of their bodies and coloring/pasting their organs in (from My Body) as we learned about the body's systems.

I'll scan my shelves and my memory later to see if I can think of more.

ETA: We have not yet done dissections but I would not hesitate to do them with an interested child with a strong stomach.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Videos... So many wonderful videos! Too many to name. Watch them all. :D

Life in a Bucket of Soil

A World in a Drop of Water

Pond Water Zoo

The Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope

Benny's Animals and How He Put Them in Order

The Kingdoms of Life: Classification

Living Sunlight (My kids love this book.)

Insectigations

Gardening Wizardry for Kids (love the relations to history in this book)

DK Natural History (also Ocean, Animal, etc. My kids are lovers of coffee table books.)

Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method

There are too many more to list. You can get something at the library for a study of biomes/habitats and animals/adaptations, etc. The highlight of biology for my kids was making life-size cut-outs of their bodies and coloring/pasting their organs in (from My Body) as we learned about the body's systems.

I'll scan my shelves and my memory later to see if I can think of more.

ETA: We have not yet done dissections but I would not hesitate to do them with an interested child with a strong stomach.

Kristina, this is an amazing list! And my library has most of them. :auto:

We have not yet done dissections but I would not hesitate to do them with an interested child with a strong stomach.

I agree! I took a dissection summer school class when I was 8 or 9 and still remember how much I loved it, and how fascinating it was! Dissections seem surprisingly unpopular on this board, but unless your family is vegetarian I don't see what all the fuss is about. I like the idea of getting them interested in these things while they're young, before they've bowed to social pressure to be grossed out by everything.

Ooh, so many good things! I think we might need a documentary day every week! Keep them coming!

I think my hesitation about dissections (because we usually dive into experiments) is that I didn't do them really. I was an animal rights activist through most of high school and got out of all of them. I don't believe the same things that I did then now though, so there's no moral objection. Maybe we'll plow forward and just do a bunch.

I think my hesitation about dissections (because we usually dive into experiments) is that I didn't do them really. I was an animal rights activist through most of high school and got out of all of them. I don't believe the same things that I did then now though, so there's no moral objection. Maybe we'll plow forward and just do a bunch.

Do you know any medical people that could come over while you do it? I told my husband and my mother that they can handle the dissection stuff if/when I decide to try it (right now, 7 y/o gets pale and nauseous if the word "blood" is spoken out loud....we'll be waiting a couple years before we try cutting open any bodies, lol!). They're used to organs and all that. I'll just watch and learn with the kids!

Ooh, so many good things! I think we might need a documentary day every week! Keep them coming!

The Brown Paper School book "Blood and Guts" has lots of activities, including dissections as well as models (like of the lungs), using regular sorts of body parts that you could find at a reasonably well stocked meat store/counter. So like, a sheep's eye or kidney instead of the sort you have to send away for. Somehow I find this less creepy than a fetal pig, which just seems so wrong.

Also some of the experiments/models don't involve animal body parts but simulations, like a 2 L soda bottle or whatever.

The Brown Paper School book "Blood and Guts" has lots of activities, including dissections as well as models (like of the lungs), using regular sorts of body parts that you could find at a reasonably well stocked meat store/counter. So like, a sheep's eye or kidney instead of the sort you have to send away for. Somehow I find this less creepy than a fetal pig, which just seems so wrong.

Also some of the experiments/models don't involve animal body parts but simulations, like a 2 L soda bottle or whatever.

I have that on my wish list. Those Brown Paper School books are so good.

I like the idea of dissections of things I can just get - worms, meat market leftovers...

I like WP, so I think their book lists are great for ideas (take a look at the Animal Worlds program) they also used to have a selection of books lined up, "Animal Defenses" and a few others available from someplace called something to do with "nature" and "Acorns". My brain is oh so broken tonight. :lol:

Some WTM threads of Interest:

Great Nature Printables!

Ideas for Science without a Curriculum

Printables:

Enchanted Learning

LearningPage.com

Videos/Video Based:

AHA! Science

Adaptive Science

The Happy Scientist

Discovery Science

Brainpop/Jr

Magic School Bus

Sid the Science Kid

Bill Nye

Extras/Others:

Guesthollow's Stuff (she has all sorts of Biology/Life science extras)

Homeschool Den (Old Site, but has all her unit studies - good for biology, scroll down, on left hand side will be the categories

Creekside Learning - Has Biology/Life Science posts

My Pinterest Enrichment folder has a number of Life Science Experiments/Ideas

HTH a little :001_smile:

I have that on my wish list. Those Brown Paper School books are so good.

I like the idea of dissections of things I can just get - worms, meat market leftovers...

The vast majority of projects in the book don't involve animal body parts.

I see activities using animal body parts for:

* Skin - none

* Bones - Chicken bones; soup bones

* Teeth - tooth [smashing it with a hammer], activity given for egg in eggshell soaking in acid and soda

* Muscles - small piece of raw steak or chicken (dissection), attached chicken drumstick + thigh [meat could easily still be cooked and eaten afterwards]

* Heart - dissection of lamb heart

* Lungs - none

* Cells - none

* Digestion - none

* Kidneys - lambs' kidneys (with warning that it's very smelly and many kids won't want to do)

* Eyes - sheep or cow eye

* Ears - none

* Balance - none

* Brain/nervous system - beef brain

* Reproductive system - none

I love Brown Paper School books too.

1) Bug cups!

We think these are the best ones, and I knew I had crossed a "line of no return" in homeschooling when I started buying them in bulk!

When dd was 3, she ran screaming across the yard because of a spider. "Shall we put it in a bug cup???'' It immediately changed the dynamic of the spider situation.

These are small enough that they are easy to throw into the back of the stroller whenever we go on a nature walk in case we find something interesting.

2) "A butterfly net and a pond net" is the recommendation of one of the naturalists at the local Nature Center.

We have even used our butterfly net to catch a couple of orphaned goslings running through our yard.

The pond net is cool for digging stuff out of the pond and looking at on the shore.

3) TV magnifier --This instrument plugs into your tv and makes it a "super magnifier." Things will not be as magnified as with a microscope, unless you are thinking of a dissecting microscope, but.....

--this is a good solution for kids that are too young for a microscope

--this tool is good for group exploration and discussion

--it's so easy to do science when you send your kids and their cousins outside for 5 minutes and ask them to each bring in 3 items. Rocks, leaves, flowers, shells...anything they find is super to explore. Inside the house, look at orange peels, teddy bears, hair, and money. It's all so cool!!!!

Our first tv magnifier was from Toys To Grow On. It was really easy to use, but didn't last as long as we needed it to.

This is our second one: Eyeclops

I'm still figuring it out, but I honestly haven't put the time into it.

4) Ant farms, Ladybug habitats, caterpillars that change into butterflies, and tadpoles that change into frogs are all animals we have had in our house. I would like to do them once a year, but we didn't do it last year (new baby in the house), and I haven't gotten to it yet this year. I don't want to order them and risk them in my superhot mailbox.

I think this is the company I have ordered from before, but I can't really remember. There are several who will send you caterpillars.

...a few others available from someplace called something to do with "nature" and "Acorns". My brain is oh so broken tonight. :lol:

Acorn Naturalists. They have everything!

I could spend years teaching biology if I could afford everything I wanted out of that catalog.

Nature Watch is the other biology/naturalist catalog that I adore. They even sell some of their most popular classroom kits as singles for homeschoolers.

Planning life science for next year for my boys, who will be 8 in the fall. What were your favorite things for life science? Books, movies, experiments, etc. I'm not really looking for a curriculum (I prefer to plan myself for science) but anything short of that...

And did you do animal dissections for elementary? If so, what? I'm a bit on the fence about it, but my boys saw all the dissection possibilities in the Home Science Tools catalog and are now over the moon with the idea. One of my ds actually says at unexpected moments, "Sheep brain!" I'm not sure if this is a sign he'll be a crazy person or a biologist when he grows up. :tongue_smilie:

I spent some time enjoying your blog yesterday (while I'm sick with a cold) and was very impressed with how you teach science. Do you use a particular spine?

I spent some time enjoying your blog yesterday (while I'm sick with a cold) and was very impressed with how you teach science. Do you use a particular spine?

Thanks, Lea. I kind of lost my momentum with posting for it this year. :blush: But the old posts are all there. We had been using the Usborne Encyclopedia, but mostly as a sort of outline. That worked really well for physics - there were a few topics that clearly needed to be skipped (I didn't do more than mention the existence of nuclear power, for example) but mostly it worked. For chemistry and earth science, it was less clear, but it still gave me a basic guide. Beyond that, I'm mostly winging it along with my friend, who is the parent of the other kids who occasionally pop up in our science pictures on my blog.

Thanks for the continued suggestions, everyone. I saw you mention that Acorn Naturalists catalog before, Emma. Anything especially awesome in it?

We already have a nice microscope, by the way, but any microscope accessories anyone? All I have now is a few blank slides for us to use.

David Attenborough series

Youtube

Zoo

Microscope with Kids Microscope Slide Set at Home Science Tools

Exploring the Oceans series

Projects like a worm bin, raising slugs, growing food, brain string art, biomes video, mammal classification book, edible skin model, dna extraction, bacteria in petri dishes

I put my own stuff together for biology and I've posted our studies with resources online. Maybe there will be additional resources that may help you plan.

Here are the ones I currently have posted:

Food Chains, Biomes, and Ecology

Botany (we are doing this one right now)

Human Body

Invertebrates: Sponges, Mollusks, and I'm almost done with the insects part, but I haven't posted it yet. There are TOO MANY insects in this world!

Oceans

Mammals

Edited by Wehomeschool

I highly recommend the catalog, just because one of the wonderful things about it is the huge number of wonderful books they review. The catalog is about 200 pages, but it's pretty, not like some other enormous homeschool catalogs.

Some specifics: Animal discovery kits, including some designed specifically for those in urban areas.

I have a weakness for mobiles.

Hit the Habitat game.

Lots of ideas for combining science and art.

LaMotte test kits for hands on research.

Appropriate birdhouses.

I highly recommend the catalog, just because one of the wonderful things about it is the huge number of wonderful books they review. The catalog is about 200 pages, but it's pretty, not like some other enormous homeschool catalogs.

:D

Oh! There's a PBS series called, "Inside Nature's Giants" where they dissect, well, nature's giants! Things like a beached sperm whale, where they can't save the animal so when it dies, it is used for science. Dd LOVED it.

Ooh, that looks neat. There are really so many documentaries. I think we could drown in them.