Menu

Looking for free/cheap geography

BoyOBoy

Does anyone have suggestions for a k level geography? Something to download and print would be fine. I’m not even quite sure what it is that I want, but I know I don’t want it to be too involved. Just something simple to get ds4’s feet wet.

I copied these from the freebie thread.

Geography:

Countries and Cultures around the world. Elementary age. Countries and Cultures of the World

Sheppard Software Geography (Online) World Maps - geography online games

Discover America State by State. Uses the C is for...... book series. Gale . Discover America Series . Find Out More . Student Activities

Outline Maps Outline Maps

:iagree: We are using this and are very happy with it. But you do have to make copies/scan and print and for some people that's not possible/cheap.

It's not cheap for one workbook, but teacherfilebox does have Beginning Geography along with a slew of other workbook pages.

For K geography, I just read picture books set in various countries. I keep a list on my blog and continue to add to it as I find new books.

What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know has 19 pages devoted to geography. Does your library have it?

:iagree: Between these two resources, I think you'd be set. If you want maps to color, look at Crayola's map pages, or National Geographic's Xpeditions. Nat'l Geo also has free lesson plans for K-2 (and other grade levels).

I really think for K, it's more about understanding the features and components of a map. Countries, states, continents, rivers, oceans, lakes, four cardinal directions, etc. For gr. 1, being able to identify all the continents, the United States (or whatever country you live in), Alabama (or whatever state you live in), and maybe a few key countries on the map as you study them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had a pretty bright 1st grader last year and even the above took a while to grasp and had to be revisited a lot to really have a retained understanding.

I really think for K, it's more about understanding the features and components of a map. Countries, states, continents, rivers, oceans, lakes, four cardinal directions, etc. For gr. 1, being able to identify all the continents, the United States (or whatever country you live in), Alabama (or whatever state you live in), and maybe a few key countries on the map as you study them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had a pretty bright 1st grader last year and even the above took a while to grasp and had to be revisited a lot to really have a retained understanding.

I think that there is a huge range in what a child this age may or may not grasp. My dd could easily understand all of this at 4yo, plus she could identify many, many countries on a map. My ds4 has been exposed to all this for a long time, and although he does not have the same level of interest, he also already knows all of this, too. Basically, you just gotta know your kids.

We follow the BCP lesson plans for history & geography. Easy and free (we get all our history books from the library as we need them).

http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html

BCP follows the Core Knowledge Series btw so it should closely follow What your Kindergartner Needs to Know - in fact they often use excerpts from that series of books.

ETA: We used k12 last year for 2nd grade language arts and I quickly noticed that many of the books we were reading were overlapping with our history curriculum. I looked it up, and yep, k12 history curriculum appears to follow BCP & the Core Knowledge Series very closely (for way more money of course)