Menu

Cultured foods

We drink a lot of kefir, kombucha tea and eat clabbered milk cream cheese! I got starters from friends (put an email out to our local hs support group) and followed tips from Cultures for Life on YouTube. I've been buying raw milk and making the yummiest cream cheese ever....then I soak my grains in the whey prior to cooking to make them more digestible. We're feeling great and I love that I can make awesome food on the cheap! :D

Haven't had a whole lot of succes with homemade sourdough or traditional veggie ferments, but did make *very yummy* fridge pickles (with two days of fermentation) with cukes from our garden this year. We're not used to eating the fermented veggies like sauerkraut and such. I'm content to stick with the ones we like and enjoy the benefits without making a big deal out of eating foods we just don't enjoy.

Although.......it did take a while for me to develop a taste for kombucha tea as it's on the vinegarish/sour side. I add a little juice and don't go too long with the fermentation so that it's enjoyable. It's not worth it to me to turn off my kids by pushing them to eat things they find repulsive.

We add preserves (or real maple syrup) to our kefir to make it extra yummy!

I've made sauerkraut, which was very easy and tasty. I've also done milk kefir, water kefir and currently, kombucha. I used the milk kefir in recipes (I don't drink milk, and dh wasn't interested), but stopped using it because we weren't buying milk regularly. I liked the water kefir and dh would drink it with juice, but got interested in kombucha because it's made with tea and I like and drink a lot of tea.

I currently have a continuous brew system set up (very easy) and have been experimenting with flavoring the tea after the initial fermentation, and doing a second fermentation. I need to get some bottles used for beer/soda making to help hold in the carbonation. Dh won't drink it, though (and neither kid is very interested - ds just because it's alive and dd liked the flavor alright, but then started getting freaked out because it was alive <sigh>). Dh thinks it tastes like vinegar, and although it does have a tart flavor, I like it.

I make my own sourdough for baking bread.

Very easy - just mix water and flour and let sit for two days in a warm spot until it starts fermenting.

It failed numerous times when I was using open containers because we have too many mold spores in MO and it would always get moldy. Ever since I have been using screw top lid jars, it works wonderfully.

I do sourdough (moderate difficulty--takes several days/steps). At this point most of my bread has some sourdough in it whether the recipe calls for it or not. I like the depth of flavor.

I've done yogurt (also moderate), creme fraiche (easy), and buttermilk (easy).

When I say moderate, I don't mean its hard to do, just that it takes several steps, several days, or some cooking is involved. The actual steps are not that hard they just might be a turn off to someone looking for super easy.

Creme fraiche and buttermilk are super easy. I buy a container of buttermilk and when its near the bottom I top it off with milk, shake, and leave it somewhere warm for 8-12 hours. Then I shake and put back in the fridge. The culture in the buttermilk will take over the milk and make more buttermilk. Creme fraiche is just cream with a little sour cream added. The culture in the sour cream cultures the cream and after 24 hours it thickens and becomes creme fraiche. I keep that one in the fridge though (hmm...I bet it would be faster on the stove like the buttermilk).

I'd love to hear directions for cream cheese. I think I knew how to do that one but its been ages.

I make kimchi, both cabbage and cucumber. I want to try other kinds sometime soon. I've also made sauerkraut, but I like the spiciness of kimchi better.

I also make lacto-fermented applesauce and lacto-fermented black bean paste.

I have attempted yoghurt and kefir, both from raw cow's milk and raw goat's milk, but have been largely unsuccessful. I would love to make a good Greek yoghurt and good kefir though.

Someday I may try making my own miso.

I use old milk (raw is best! Non-homogenized is good, too) to make cream cheese. I always use whole milk. Leave it out on the counter in a mason jar with the lid on (but the ring off) so that you can see the curds/whey separate (thick white on top, clearer watery on bottom). Sometimes it takes about three days, sometimes a little more....should smell nice and buttermilky. Then I put a double layer of cheese cloth in a large bowl and pour over, catching the curds up in the cheese cloth (making a sort of pouch). I put a rubber band around all of the ends and hang it over the bowl to let the whey drip out. It usually takes about 15 minutes or so to let it get to the consistency I like. I keep the whey in the fridge (keeps for weeks) and add some maple syrup to the cheese. I've also made a boursin ball by adding garlic and spices. Mmmmmm....good!

We drink a lot of kefir, kombucha tea and eat clabbered milk cream cheese! I got starters from friends (put an email out to our local hs support group) and followed tips from Cultures for Life on YouTube. I've been buying raw milk and making the yummiest cream cheese ever....then I soak my grains in the whey prior to cooking to make them more digestible. We're feeling great and I love that I can make awesome food on the cheap! :D

Haven't had a whole lot of succes with homemade sourdough or traditional veggie ferments, but did make *very yummy* fridge pickles (with two days of fermentation) with cukes from our garden this year. We're not used to eating the fermented veggies like sauerkraut and such. I'm content to stick with the ones we like and enjoy the benefits without making a big deal out of eating foods we just don't enjoy.

Although.......it did take a while for me to develop a taste for kombucha tea as it's on the vinegarish/sour side. I add a little juice and don't go too long with the fermentation so that it's enjoyable. It's not worth it to me to turn off my kids by pushing them to eat things they find repulsive.

We add preserves (or real maple syrup) to our kefir to make it extra yummy!

I wish I could find a starter for Kombucha! I tried it once a couple of years ago and ordered online and for some reason mine didn't work. :confused:

Can't wait to try a fridge pickle recipe that I found!

I've made sauerkraut, which was very easy and tasty. I've also done milk kefir, water kefir and currently, kombucha. I used the milk kefir in recipes (I don't drink milk, and dh wasn't interested), but stopped using it because we weren't buying milk regularly. I liked the water kefir and dh would drink it with juice, but got interested in kombucha because it's made with tea and I like and drink a lot of tea.

I currently have a continuous brew system set up (very easy) and have been experimenting with flavoring the tea after the initial fermentation, and doing a second fermentation. I need to get some bottles used for beer/soda making to help hold in the carbonation. Dh won't drink it, though (and neither kid is very interested - ds just because it's alive and dd liked the flavor alright, but then started getting freaked out because it was alive <sigh>). Dh thinks it tastes like vinegar, and although it does have a tart flavor, I like it.

The continuous brew system would be interesting! Hmmm...

This fridge pickle recipe comes out tasting just like Claussen pickles!!! I used to spend my allowance on them when I was a kid! http://awaytogarden.com/dan-koshanskys-refrigerator-pickles

I do a continuous brew for kombucha, as well. My husband and I drink about a half gallon per week, so I keep two jars in staggard brew stage while we're drinking on one. I brew a new one every week and drink after two weeks of brewing. So that's one jar that we're drinking on, and the other two are one week apart.

This fridge pickle recipe comes out tasting just like Claussen pickles!!! I used to spend my allowance on them when I was a kid! http://awaytogarden.com/dan-koshanskys-refrigerator-pickles

I do a continuous brew for kombucha, as well. My husband and I drink about a half gallon per week, so I keep two jars in staggard brew stage while we're drinking on one. I brew a new one every week and drink after two weeks of brewing. So that's one jar that we're drinking on, and the other two are one week apart.

YUM!

I do pickles, sauerkraut, buttermilk, and sourdough. Any bread products I make I use sourdough, though we don't eat a lot of bread. And I make this zurek soup which is a soured rye liquid

Oh and pickled carrots are sooo good. I like the book Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz.

I too attempted yogurt. I didn't like the way it came out. It was much too thin. I tried to strain it, but it still never was all that thick.

From my experiments, thickness comes from 2 things. One is the longer you leave it the thicker it gets (unfortunately, it also gets more sour the longer you leave it). You can also drain it overnight to thicken it up.

I like to leave it to culture 3-4 hours, and then I drain it for thickness.

I've made cream cheese from my raw milk, but don't do that regularly. ATM I have my very first kombucha brew fermenting-- should be ready tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a continuous brew system going as well.

Thanks to everyone who shared links and recipes. :)

I've made cream cheese from my raw milk, but don't do that regularly. ATM I have my very first kombucha brew fermenting-- should be ready tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a continuous brew system going as well.

Thanks to everyone who shared links and recipes. :)

Does homemade cream cheese get very firm?

I wish I could find a starter for Kombucha! I tried it once a couple of years ago and ordered online and for some reason mine didn't work. :confused:

I ordered my scoby from the Kefirlady. Here's the link: http://www.kefirlady.com/kombuchacultures.htm.

I also ordered my kefir grains. Both are SUPER healthy. I've given away numerous scoby babies and lost of kefir grains too. Wish you were nearby and you could pick a scoby up from me!

I make kefir. So easy, even I am unable to mess it up.

I soak my grains in apple cider vinegar instead of the whey from the kefir because my dh prefers the vinegar soak. Personally, I am unable to taste the difference but he can so I use vinegar.

I ordered my scoby from the Kefirlady. Here's the link: http://www.kefirlady.com/kombuchacultures.htm.

I also ordered my kefir grains. Both are SUPER healthy. I've given away numerous scoby babies and lost of kefir grains too. Wish you were nearby and you could pick a scoby up from me!

I'll just make a special trip up to NC to pick it up. ;) I've always wanted to see that part of the country. :D Thanks for the link!

I make kombucha tea and it's super easy.

I want to start making sauerkraut. We had it homemade growing up and I've never found a store brand that I like.

I also want to start making butter to eat, although I'll continue using store butter to cook. We use country crock for eating because it tastes most like homemade butter, but I'm trying to move towards more whole foods. I don't know if I'll like butter made from pasteurized cream, but I'm going to try it. I can't stand store butter for table use because it doesn't taste remotely close to real butter. If I make butter, I'll have buttermilk, so I'll have to find some healthy uses for it. I won't drink it and I'm not sure if my dh will or not.

I tried yogurt, but that was an epic fail. I ended up with a bowl of warm milk.

I've never thought of trying cheese without a source for raw milk, but after reading a previous post, I would like to try cream cheese.

I also want to start making butter to eat, although I'll continue using store butter to cook. We use country crock for eating because it tastes most like homemade butter, but I'm trying to move towards more whole foods. I don't know if I'll like butter made from pasteurized cream, but I'm going to try it. I can't stand store butter for table use because it doesn't taste remotely close to real butter. If I make butter, I'll have buttermilk, so I'll have to find some healthy uses for it. I won't drink it and I'm not sure if my dh will or not.

Mmmm... I should add butter to my :001_wub:

I make kombucha tea and it's super easy.

I want to start making sauerkraut. We had it homemade growing up and I've never found a store brand that I like.

I tried yogurt, but that was an epic fail. I ended up with a bowl of warm milk.

I've never thought of trying cheese without a source for raw milk, but after reading a previous post, I would like to try cream cheese.

Buttermilk biscuits!! Or pancakes!!!

I made kefir for awhile, hoping to get my husband, who has Crohns, drinking it. The kids loved it, but we just couldn’t get past the sourness. I wish we liked it, because it was so easy and much cheaper than all the yogurt we eat here!

I have done kefir but I dislike it and so do the kids. I'll leave it to my mom. I do make a sweet yogurt, and yogurt cheese, cream cheese, gouda and cheddar, clabbar (which I also use for a starter in my cheddars), cultured buttermilk, cream, and butter. Really, if I can culture my dairy in some way, I do. My oldest used to have a dairy intolerance as did I but as long as we are using our own stuff, we don't seem to have a problem with it, in fact, I'm finding I am handling a lot of foods better than I used to.