Menu

Do I need anything extra with Ellen McHenry's Elements?

We'll be doing this as a part of our science this year and was wondering if there are any extras you used that made it better/more enjoyable? I'm using it with an 11 & 12 year old if that makes any difference.

We have just started using this a few weeks ago. So far I would recommend getting a Periodic Table wall chart, and my guys really like The Elements book by Theodore Gray.

We have just started using this a few weeks ago. So far I would recommend getting a Periodic Table wall chart, and my guys really like The Elements book by Theodore Gray.

I've had that book in my Amazon cart forever! I know I need to just order it already. Is there a wall chart/poster you preferred? There are so many different ones.

That looks fun too. Can you explain why you didn't get very far with Elements?

Probably because our homelife at the time was so stressful, it was hard for me to cover subjects that weren't very "do the next thing," like the other things we chose to use were. Elements was very nearly so, but I needed to prep it better than I did, and it fell by the wayside. Solid, interesting, fun program, tho!!

Probably because our homelife at the time was so stressful, it was hard for me to cover subjects that weren't very "do the next thing," like the other things we chose to use were. Elements was very nearly so, but I needed to prep it better than I did, and it fell by the wayside. Solid, interesting, fun program, tho!!

That's never happened to me. :tongue_smilie: I completely get it. It's been a weakness of mine in the past to not be as prepared as I could/should be so I'm really trying to think everything through and plan better this year. Seems like every year I get a little better.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking throught the first few lessons and I have a question. SHe says that you should memorize the basic elements. What are the basic elements????? I need a bit more direction since it has been ever so long sincwe I've contemplated chemistry in any formal sense. What would you consider the "basic" elements, or more importantly which ones should I have my dd's memorize?

TIA

Hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, the noble gases (helium, neon, etc), lithium/sodium/potassium/calcium, metals you can see (iron, copper, aluminum, nickel, zinc etc)...

Those are elements that one would come across frequently. I have no idea what is covered in the Elements curriculum as I only briefly looked at it a few years ago.