Menu

Pony rides for birthday parties...

Supposing that you wanted to give your young child a birthday party that had pony rides, what would you be willing to pay for it? We would bring pony, and all equipment that would need to be used. Pony would give rides for one hour, for children up to 60 pounds.

I can't figure out how to attach a pic, but imagine a white, fluffy cotton ball with four legs that comes up to an adults mid-thigh. That is our pony.

Your best bet is to see what on-site party entertainers in your area go for. I know when this comes up on music teaching boards there is often a range that spans several hundred dollars depends on where you are in the USA.

I'd also look at liability insurance. As soon as you start charging money, it becomes a totally different ball of wax than simply letting a child's friend ride when they're visiting your house.

My kids have attended a couple of b-day parties where pony rides were offered. We've never hosted one ourselves, so I have no idea about fee structure, but I think that would be a viable business if you live in an area where such things are the norm.

I cringe at taking a pony or horse to a party where there are children with no horse sense. The pony might be as good as gold, but if something goes wrong and the pony bites or (God forbid) kicks a child, I could lawsuit written all over that. Not to mention worry over if the child is ok. I would expect it to be a few hundred dollars but that would vary depending on where you are. Also I would make sure that waivers are signed.

We used to do pony rides for local field days and some church events. One of our requirements was that the event cover the pony ride insurance as they could afford it more easily with an extra rider to their insurance. When we priced it for ourselves, it was far more than we wanted to pay (but I don't remember how much and this was years ago). Some events we did for free (charity on our part). Other events we charged $200 - $250. (Remember this was about 10 years ago.) This was for 2 ponies, tack, leaders, etc, and generally 2 hours. Our ponies were taller and could accommodate up to 100 lbs or so. We made sure small children had people walking next to them. The actual ride took place behind a roped off area to keep kids from running out to the ponies.

We never had the insurance to want to go after the birthday party market. We live more rural, so I'm not sure the payback would be there and it's not really what I'd want to do for a living. For a few local events and some charity stuff, we kind of enjoyed it. (And we knew we had saints for ponies.)

If I were going for that market, I'd price insurance first, then see what other places charged. Google ought to help there.

Our next door neighbors had a birthday party with horse rides. (I am not expert, but adults could ride, too, so I am guessing they were horses.) It was awesome. We got to feed the horses, too. And they cleaned up all the poop afterwards and took it with them. I can't find a price for that. To have the party at the local stable is $250 for up to 20 kids, $220 for up to 10 kids.