Menu

any dog experts or dog lovers who can help me with...

our new dog? We got him yesterday. He is so sweet. We got him from the animal shelter - he is mostly Australian Shepherd like our other dog. He is gentle and friendly so far. But he is so anxious! He just seems to have a hard time settling. He keeps whimpering a little and pacing and leaping up anytime anyone moves.

He also threw up like 12 times last night. I think that is from stress too. I have rationed his water today and just gave him a little bit of white rice which he only ate a bite of. He hasn't thrown up today. He is still just so stressed out seeming.

How do I help to soothe him? I am not a dog person. I love our older dog though and am on my way to loving this guy....can anyone help me?

Edited by sunnylady303

The poor thing! It could be stress due to his new surroundings. I am concerned that he threw up so much. That will have tp be addressed if it continues.

Can you take him for several walks per day to help work off his energy, and play fetch beteeen those times? Also get him some good chew toys and stuff to keep him busy.

It's been a few years, but when we adopted our old dog from the shelter, she was super anxious as well. Lots of exercise helped, plus I kept her on a leash the first few days when she was in the house since I wasnt sure she was house broken. The leash helped her know that she was doing what she was supposed to and wasn't going to get yelled at. After a few days, she started to settle down and could have freedom privledges in the house.

His behavior sounds quite normal for a dog who has just been rescued from a shelter, especially a sensitive breed like an Aussie. (Everything except for the throwing up, which may be stress-related but may not. I assume you're going to take him to the vet for a checkup right away, anyhow, and I'd ask your vet about all of his behavior so that your vet can rule out any physical problems.) After all, he was just at a noisy, chaotic, overwhelming shelter and now he's in another new place with new people. It will take time for him to adjust and let his real personality show. A minimum amount of time would be 2 weeks before you'll start to see the real dog, but it can take much longer - with our most recent shelter dog, it was like peeling an onion as gradually more and more of his personality came out, but it took about a year before his full personality blossomed.

I'd recommend keeping the household as quiet as possible for now. Sit quietly on the floor and let him come to you and then you can pet him gently and talk soothingly. Give him high value treats any time he's doing what you want - when he's relaxed, calm, interacting well with people. Give him a safe place that's just his - a crate or bed. Physical activity will help to take some of the edge off. If you can put him on a leash, go for a long walk. If he'll play and you have a fenced area, get him running outside.

How is he getting along with your other dog? If they get along well, that might help to ease the transition. But if your other dog is being defensive or dominant, that may be stressing the new pup further.

Just a little story that might help . . . When we brought home our border collie pup, he was incredibly frightened and skittish. He spent most of his time hiding under our kitchen table. He wouldn't eat unless we put the food down and went into another room and sat quietly. Any noise or movement would send him back under the table! When we'd come home from work, he'd be hiding under the table and we'd have to coax him out every day (twice a day for me, because I was also coming home at lunch to check on him). Eventually, I just assumed he'd never greet us at the door. But then, one day I got home and there he was at the door, tail wagging! He got over his fears a little at a time - first going out our apartment door, then up and down stairs, then outdoors, then crossing the street - he was scared of everything at first. But with time and patience he became a normal, happy dog!

He needs time to figure out he's in a good, safe place. Just lots of gentle love and patience should do the trick!

He sounds like my dog when we first got him from the shelter. My dd would sit with him and just pet him constantly. He latched onto her and wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of us for a few weeks. It took him a little under a month to get used to the rest of us.

His behavior sounds quite normal for a dog who has just been rescued from a shelter, especially a sensitive breed like an Aussie. (Everything except for the throwing up, which may be stress-related but may not. I assume you're going to take him to the vet for a checkup right away, anyhow, and I'd ask your vet about all of his behavior so that your vet can rule out any physical problems.) After all, he was just at a noisy, chaotic, overwhelming shelter and now he's in another new place with new people. It will take time for him to adjust and let his real personality show. A minimum amount of time would be 2 weeks before you'll start to see the real dog, but it can take much longer - with our most recent shelter dog, it was like peeling an onion as gradually more and more of his personality came out, but it took about a year before his full personality blossomed.

Thanks to you all! We got our other dog at a shelter also but that was nine years ago and I've forgotten a little bit. He is a little settled right now. And he doesn't seem scared, like hiding, just nervous and restless and uncertain what to do. He is going to the vet Monday and I will ask so that I am sure, but I imagine that the vomiting was stress. He hasn't today as I have been rationing food and water. I do remember that our other dog (who is also an Aussie) didn't eat much (even treats!) for like a week until she was comfortable. So I am hoping that will even out.

Our other dog is pretty disinterested. It seems to be mutual. But my 8YO (who I am in no way comparing to a dog, just to be clear :lol:) seems to have really bonded with him. She slept on the floor with him last night because he wouldn't stop whimpering and couldn't calm down. He seems to trust her and be bonded already. Hopefully that will help him.

I have to leave in a while and can't decide if I should take him with me in the car or leave him home. Anyway. Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Give him time, let him unwind on his own terms and above all, DO NOT coo and pet him and try and sooth him as you would a scared child. I know it's your instinct to do so, but if you do you're reinforcing his fears. Just act normal. Call him by his name in a cheerful voice, treat him like you would any other dog. If he's afraid of something in particular, don't make a big deal of it. Just walk him past it. He'll take his cues from you, and if you're all, "Sweetie honey love it's okay, baby!!" <pet pet pet> he'll learn OH! I'm SUPPOSED to freak out like this. Mom LIKES it when I do that! She's rewarding me! Okay, I shall continue to freak.

It'll work out-- keep the diet bland, make sure he has water available and he'll come around.

astrid

We adopted a rescue Australian Shepherd mix. She was SOOOOO fearful at first that she wouldn't even come out of her coop when we were outside. She was adopted as an outdoor/farm dog as they didnt' think she could handle being an inside dog.

SLOWLY over time she would come out and let us pet her, then take her out of her run for walks, etc. As time went on she got better and better and could be loose in the yard and would stay by us. She was also petrified of the car and other dogs.

Fast forward to today...........she jumps in the car at EVERY opportunity. She is mostly in the house now and sleeps in our bedroom. She has NEVER EVER messed in the house which was a great benefit. We even took her to a concert at the local township park the other night and she just laid down by my chair and wasnt' worried about the other dogs, etc.

I think that time will certainly help.

Also, I thought I'd mention, if he's under say... the table or something, don't reach your hand under to "grab/get" him.... Make sure he has a crate. If he's not chewing, you can put a blanket or something in with him. (and proper chew toys) Make sure your kids know NOT to go in or stick their arms in... If you can put it in a room with you... but off to the side... I think that's best. Some people put their food in the crate....

Good Luck!! :)

Give him time, let him unwind on his own terms and above all, DO NOT coo and pet him and try and sooth him as you would a scared child. I know it's your instinct to do so, but if you do you're reinforcing his fears. Just act normal. Call him by his name in a cheerful voice, treat him like you would any other dog. If he's afraid of something in particular, don't make a big deal of it. Just walk him past it. He'll take his cues from you, and if you're all, "Sweetie honey love it's okay, baby!!" <pet pet pet> he'll learn OH! I'm SUPPOSED to freak out like this. Mom LIKES it when I do that! She's rewarding me! Okay, I shall continue to freak.

It'll work out-- keep the diet bland, make sure he has water available and he'll come around.

astrid

:iagree: