Menu

Would you allow your dd to take BCP for cycle regulation?

Would you use BCP for cycle regulation in your teen dd?  

1. 1. Would you use BCP for cycle regulation in your teen dd?

• Yes, I have. or Yes, I would.
    • No, not an option.

Indeed. If I had a dime for every time (years ago) that I was told that my irregular cycles were "normal" when in fact they were indicative of PCOS, and are one of the prime symptoms, which is NOT normal. Not that I wouldn't take BCP (I have and I'd do it again if I could), but the root cause is different, with different potential solutions/strategies. (Note to PCOSers, different kinds of BCP can have drastically different results.)

I know of soooo many women who took BCP as teens/young adults due to having bad cycles and then later had problems conceiving. The bcp's are quite often bandaids and not only don't fix the underlying problems causing the issues but can create issues of their own. Dr's are way too quick to prescribe them.

I'm sure they can be, but I thought it was fairly normal for a girl.

When her cycle is first starting out, or if she's a serious athlete maybe. The occasional missed cycle? Maybe. Regular, ongoing, odd cycles in a girl who has been menstruating for a while? I'd be digging into it much more.

THe other flag here IMO is that there is a family history...I'd be hesitant to brush that family hx off if my DD was exhibiting symptoms. Blaming it on grandma having "irreg. hormones" is too simplistic, IMO. Back when grandma, etc. had cycle issues, I doubt PCOS was frequently diagnosed. Probably the same for things like endometriosis. PCOS It affects 5-10 percent of women of childbearing age, so not rare.

eta: to be more specific about panels and testing, has she ever had cycle day 3 bloodwork? Progesterone testing to see if she's ovulating? Transvag. US to look for ovarian cysts and at her endometrial lining? Pituitary issues ruled in/out? Thyroid?

Edited by Momof3littles

I know of soooo many women who took BCP as teens/young adults due to having bad cycles and then later had problems conceiving. The bcp's are quite often bandaids and not only don't fix the underlying problems causing the issues but can create issues of their own. Dr's are way too quick to prescribe them.

Having been around the block several times with reproductive stuff, I'm not a big believer in permanent effects of BCPs. For example, PCOS is a metabolic condition, driven by insulin resistance issues, not the ovaries (i.e., the ovaries kicking out testosterone rather than estrogen is a symptom of PCOS, not a root cause, though in turn that causes other symptoms). However, while insulin is the "king hormone", there is still somewhat of a two-way street, and there can be temporary effects, e.g., BCPs causing weight gain or loss. As for problems conceiving, that would be due to the "bad cycles," not the BCPs, which I agree are a temporary bandaid.

Edited by wapiti

Having been around the block several times with reproductive stuff, I'm not a big believer in permanent effects of BCPs. For example, PCOS is a metabolic condition, driven by insulin resistance issues, not the ovaries (i.e., the ovaries kicking out testosterone rather than estrogen is a symptom of PCOS, not a root cause, though in turn that causes other symptoms). However, while insulin is the "king hormone", there is still somewhat of a two-way street, and there can be temporary effects, e.g., BCPs causing weight gain or loss. As for problems conceiving, that would be due to the "bad cycles," not the BCPs, which I agree are a temporary bandaid.

I didn't say the BCPs cause the infertility. I think generally the issues are already there and the irregular cycles are the first clue to that. Instead of finding the why to the irregular cycles the BCPs treat the symptom, leaving the women still having the infertility issues when they go to conceive.

There are other effects though, well documented.

Of people I know who were put on BCPs as young or mid teenagers:

SIL-Brother's Wife- took at least 2 yrs to conceive, has had 2-3 miscarriages, needed the help of clomid and supplemental estrogen to sustain pregnancy and she is still having issues and rough pregnancies

SIL- Dh's sister- 2+ yrs of conceiving, finally achieved pregnancies both with the aid of clomid, still has multiple hormonal issues.

dh's cousin younger- Tried for 2 + yrs has had at least 3 miscarriages, finally conceived with IVF and had a normal pregnancy and just had her baby full-term, ya!

my cousin- 3+ yrs trying to conceive- 3+ miscarriages, is finally carrying her 2nd baby. I'm not sure what all methods they ended up trying but she has had so many problems for so long

dh's older cousin- finally was able to conceive and carry a pregnancy in her mid-late 30s after many miscarriages and lots of issues while pregnant

my older cousin- same as dh's she wasn't able to fully carry a baby until mid to late 30s and had many, many issues and made it to just 36 weeks. Problems continued and she recently had a hysterectomy.

I don't think the effects are permanent, but I do think bcp's take over the hormonal regulation of the hypothalamus. I think in some people (especially those like those with PCOS where it was already out of whack) it can take a while for it to realize the vacation is over and it's time to get back on the job. My cycles now, years after I've been off of bcps (and after two pg and low-carbing, and years and years after the time window I wanted to have kids) are more regular than they ever were, but I didn't cycle at all after going off bcps for almost a year, and even then needed new artificial hormones to get it kick-started. After going off bcps I didn't have a single unassisted cycle till my twins were almost 18 mos old.

If your young teen dd had irregular cycle issues (bleeding/spotting 2+weeks of each month) would you allow her to use BCP to regulate it?

No other medical conditions found at a check up by doctor.

A family history of the same issue in the mother and grandmother, both with no medical conditions found to cause it (irregular hormones blamed in both cases).

Nope. There are herbal preparations that can regulate one's cycle just as well, or even better. We've used Feminine Herbal by GNLD. Worked like a charm.

Probably not is my first answer. Just not a fan of artificial hormones, esp in young girls.

:iagree: I have hormone issues/PCOS as well and while I would not like to go back on the pill unless I had exhausted all other options .. even though I am not having any more kids anyway. (adding artificial hormones to an already "off" hormonal system is not what I should have done years ago but who knew it would cause trouble later during my baby bearing years? The docs never told me any of that! Oh how I wish I hadn't ever done it!)

I will say that my naturopath got my cycles regular and ovulatory with a change in diet and rotating supplements. I would really very strongly recommend you find a good ND in your area that perhaps focuses on female health and try that route(diet, exercise, herbs and vitamins) first before going artificial.

HTH and good luck.. Lori

Yes, I did this.

My oldest had terrible cramps from the ages of 14 until age 16.

I took her for a full OB appointment when she was 16 1/2 (almost 17) and they gave her a prescription for birth control pills.

She's been pain-free ever since.

:iagree::iagree:

This was me. Long periods and horrible pain. No, I mean HORRIBLE. Throwing up multiple times in an hour, screaming, nothing helped. Nothing. BCP saved my life! I WISH I would have had them earlier now, because now I know I have endometriosis and BCP is one of the only ways to slow it down.

So, I would consider your daughter's discomfort level and talk with her about her choices. Maybe let her decide? It's not like BCP pills are permanent, but having an exam at an early age could be traumatic. (And obviously look for underlying issues. It took me until the age of 31 to get a diagnosis.)

I don't have a daughter, but as a breast cancer survivor I would not encourage a young woman to take BCP for ANY reason. I did not have one single risk factor for breast cancer (no family history, never smoked, don't use tanning beds, nursed 5 kids, etc.), but I did take BCP while in college. Breast cancer is directly related to the hormones that are messed with by BCP.

There *ARE* negative health side effects from artificial hormones, many of which take years to show up.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives

A 1996 analysis of epidemiologic data from more than 50 studies worldwide by the Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer found that women who were current or recent users of birth control pills had a slightly higher risk of developing breast cancer than women who had never used the pill (2). The risk was highest for women who started using oral contraceptives as teenagers.

Many things I read online stated that results have not been consistent as to whether BCP increases risk for breast cancer or not. However -- the fact that SOME studies show that it DOES should matter. I usually just assume the studies that showed otherwise were funded by the pharmaceutical company who makes the BCP.

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

:iagree::iagree:

This was me. Long periods and horrible pain. No, I mean HORRIBLE. Throwing up multiple times in an hour, screaming, nothing helped. Nothing. BCP saved my life! I WISH I would have had them earlier now, because now I know I have endometriosis and BCP is one of the only ways to slow it down.

So, I would consider your daughter's discomfort level and talk with her about her choices. Maybe let her decide? It's not like BCP pills are permanent, but having an exam at an early age could be traumatic. (And obviously look for underlying issues. It took me until the age of 31 to get a diagnosis.)

I had this. Cold sweats, pain to crying and almost screaming point, uncontrollable shaking (I always knew I was starting when my legs started shaking in class...I had abt 15-20min to get home and set up in the bathroom for hours of pain and torture). Throwing up was towards the end and everything would stop so I could rest for a few hours after that.

The military doctor told me I had severe dysmenoria. Later, when I tried having children, I was told that I possibly had endometriosis. My mother had the same issue till she had kids; mine also ended when I finally got pregnant. BCP's didn't help me; they made me feel sick all the time and they were low dose.

I didn't let my dd get it for period problems and it turned out I saved her life, maybe. See, I had no idea that I and she had a heriditary condition, fairly common in Northern Europeans (3-5%) where our blood clots too easily. I didn't find out I had that till more than a year and a half later when I got a huge blood clot, after a broken leg and airplane travel. Now I am on lifetime coumadin and she now knows she has the condition too and can never be bc pills at all.