Menu

Triclosan on pencils? TIconderoga?

Ok, from what I know, Microban and Triclosan are different products, aren't they? (never mind, I found that they are the same thing)

I just was on their website (Microban's) and the stuff doesn't kill viruses anyway! So not going to stop the spread of colds and stomach bugs. It is JUST to prevent mold/mildew/stain causing bacteria. How is that a problem with pencils anyway?

4. What types of microorganisms does Microban® protection work against?

Microban® antimicrobial protection is effective against most common bacteria, yeasts, molds and fungi that cause stains, odors and product degradation. Microban technology is not designed to protect users from disease causing microorganisms.

Edited by ktgrok

So, I guess I am off to trash all of my pencils and start again...

my kids won't want to part with their fancy pencils (the ones with the pictures on the outside.)

What about colored pencils??

The only pencils that I am concerned about are the Ticonderoga pencils that are labeled on the package as containing Microcban.

It costs a manufacturer money to put Microban in/on a product, so naturally the company is going to advertise it. At least in my shopping, the only pencils I've seen with Microban are made by Dixon/Ticonderoga.

It'd be great if those of you who are throwing out pencils would send a note to the manufacturer and ask them not to use triclosan. If they hear from consumers who are disappointed and are boycotting, maybe they'll make changes. But they won't unless they hear it.

:glare: Well hmpf.

To be honest, I didn't even think twice about microban because I didn't realize it was Triclosan. I know I've purchased kid scissors with microban in the rubber grips. And I know I have pencils with it now. I'll have to be more careful.

What burns me is that I am so careful about Triclosan in other stuff...antibacterial soaps (which we stopped using) and hand sanitizer. It snuck in through the back door and I didn't even realize it.

Oh, I'm so glad I saw this thread. We haven't had to buy pencils in years thanks to a very generous gift from an aunt when DD9 was younger, but I was just getting ready to to start taking advantage of the BTS sales. I had NO idea this was going on. I'll definitely be aware as I shop this summer. Sahamamama, thanks for that link. I love that they're made in the US.

http://www.target.com/p/usa-gold-natural-wood-pencils-12-pk/-/A-10805593

We bought these yesterday at Target, specifically because they claim to be made in the USA. I try to buy as little as possible from China.

Have you tried these yet? My daughter and I love the black Ticonderoga pencils because we love the black erasers. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a replacement.

Janet

Have you tried these yet? My daughter and I love the black Ticonderoga pencils because we love the black erasers. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a replacement.

Janet

Maybe I'll just use mechanical pencils from now on, but a few threads back, I posted a link to cedar pencils. I hope they arrive tomorrow.

Guess what everyone? I looked at DH's toothpaste and it has triclosan. Big sigh. Luckily I only give DD Trader Joe's toothpaste, but we will be switching to xylitol toothpaste this week.

Maybe I'll just use mechanical pencils from now on, but a few threads back, I posted a link to cedar pencils. I hope they arrive tomorrow.

Guess what everyone? I looked at DH's toothpaste and it has triclosan. Big sigh. Luckily I only give DD Trader Joe's toothpaste, but we will be switching to xylitol toothpaste this week.

Yep, it is in a good number of personal care products these days.

Ok, so I was at Staples today and found a bunch of Ticonderoga pencils with the microban label on them. But then I found some 12 packs that DIDN'T have the microban label. I can assume those are safe, right? They were $2 for each 12 pack, and I grabbed four packs of them.

Ok, so I was at Staples today and found a bunch of Ticonderoga pencils with the microban label on them. But then I found some 12 packs that DIDN'T have the microban label. I can assume those are safe, right? They were $2 for each 12 pack, and I grabbed four packs of them.

I'm still not clear on this but I would probably assume they have it. I often wonder if they are broken down from a larger case.

OPionion follows: I really don't think the unlabeled boxes have Microban. Since we know that a wooden pencil isn't going to come down with pneumonia, the only real reason to put Microban in a product is to make the consumer feel that sani-pencils are better. It's marketing ploy, IMO. Why would the manufacturer spend $ to paint on Microban and not brag about it to the shopper?

Still concerned? Just don't let little darlings lick the pencils and buy a different brand next time. :001_smile:

OPionion follows: I really don't think the unlabeled boxes have Microban. Since we know that a wooden pencil isn't going to come down with pneumonia, the only real reason to put Microban in a product is to make the consumer feel that sani-pencils are better. It's marketing ploy, IMO. Why would the manufacturer spend $ to paint on Microban and not brag about it to the shopper?

Still concerned? Just don't let little darlings lick the pencils and buy a different brand next time. :001_smile:

Thanks :) Yeah, I think we'll probably keep them and use them. DD is still young, but so far isn't a pencil chewer! It's the 2yo I have to keep an eye on :giggle: I figure if they're not chewing on them, and if I keep them away from the pencil shavings when I sharpen them then risk will be minimized.

Write Dudes pencils (also USA Gold; already been linked to Amazon page) are usually on sale at Target for 12/$1 this time of year, or within the next month or so. I love these and the Mirados.

I received 18 of these from Amazon today. Smells wonderful, writes smoothly, eraser leaves a residue however, but most do. No lacquer at all.