Menu

Pulled pork sandwiches--need your best recipe

I have a hankering to make pulled pork. I've never done it before.

I don't want Mexican. I am hoping to serve sandwiches to my darling in-laws, and they have been less and less appreciative of the spicy south-of-the-border food I love so much.

Got any recipes?

Thanks!

I purchase pork Carnitas (package of pork trimmings)-- you can also use a pork roast/butt.

Place pork in crock pot (or dish with cover you can put in oven). Cut up 1 onion and throw on top. Pour about 1 cup of favorite BBQ sauce over top and add about 1/2 cup water.

Crock pot low overnight or bake at 350 for about 2 hours- until pork is fork tender.

Drain most of drippings (I reserve about 1 cup).

Shred pork with 2 forks-- should be EASY to shred.

Add in more BBQ sauce and reserved drippings to season. I just put about 1/4 cup more sauce in (we add additional sauce to our buns).

crock pot some cheap cut of pork. Sauce with BBQ sauce of your choice.

This is what I do. I usually use pork roast or boneless ribs. I put them in the crock pot, sprinkle with salt/pepper/garlic/basil and pour in 2 cups of water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then drain water out and use a fork to pull apart. It shreds really easily and is very tender. I usually put bbq sauce on ours and serve on bulky rolls. We just had this last night. Yum!

I take a pork butt shoulder, put it in the crock pot with about 1/2 c water and 2 envelopes of onion soup mix. Cook on high 1 hour, low about 8 hours more, shred, eat on buns with or without bbq sauce. Save the broth for bean soup. It freezes well. Leftovers I throw into corn tortillas with jack cheese, pour green enchilada sauce over and bake for 45 minutes. Yummy enchiladas.

I get a pork shoulder, salt and pepper it, then rub it all over with brown sugar. Plop it in the crock pot. pour an inch or so of apple cider in the bottom, and cook on low until it's falling apart. The juice it makes while cooking is amazing.

I get a pork shoulder, salt and pepper it, then rub it all over with brown sugar. Plop it in the crock pot. pour an inch or so of apple cider in the bottom, and cook on low until it's falling apart. The juice it makes while cooking is amazing.

Ooooh, now that sounds good. I'll have to try that one.

this is what i do plus add a touch of ketchup. mine usually takes about 4 hours on low. I just keep testing it with two forks to see when it is ready.

robin in nj

I get 2 pork tenderloins, cook in the oven in a covered pot in about 1 inch of water for about an hour (check the temp for doneness), then pull them apart with 2 forks. Meanwhile, I chop about a small onion and saute it in oil, then add a few minced garlic cloves. Immediately add about 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, about 1 T of sugar and add the meat. Sometimes I add about 1 T of whatever kind of barbecue sauce I have in the fridge. Cook just long enough for the flavor of the sauce to be distributed to the meat. If you like it hot, add flakes of red peppers, or shake on some jalapeno hot sauce. Serve on buns. Cole slaw is nice on the sandwich. This tastes like eastern NC style.

That is very similar to what I do. I also use the apple cider, or apple juice, or if I have none of those some beer, which also works very well. If I do the beer I add some apple butter, or more brown sugar.

mmmmm....

Whichever of the above recipes you end up using, make sure the cut of pork has some fat on it. If you get a practically fat free loin, it will not be as juicy and tender.

:iagree:

I've done the loin before (before I paid attention to the cut of meat I was using) and it turned out awful.

mmmmm....

Whichever of the above recipes you end up using, make sure the cut of pork has some fat on it. If you get a practically fat free loin, it will not be as juicy and tender.

Okay, so I roasted the pork last night. I had already bought a pork roast. I forget which cut it was, but it had a lot of fat marbling throughout. It has turned out beautifully.

However, dh determined that we didn't have enough meat to serve the size of the crowd coming today, so I asked him to pick up another roast. Unfortunately, I didn't specify or give him guidelines. He came back with a large loin roast that is unfortunately now quite tough.

Do I put it in the crockpot some more and hope it softens up? Count it a loss and figure out something else to do?