Menu

Anyone teach vocabulary through context? has resource that does?

ChrissySC

Scholastic and SV have a bunch too.

I want to hear about these, but I am thinking that most have all gone the stinky workbook way. I am sick of WW after all these years, and my dd doesn't remember the words anyway.:lol:

I want to know ...

1. What is the effect at the end of instruction? Has the resource increased vocabulary?

2. Can the same resource have the same effect over all grade levels? Can I use it through all grade level changes with the same result?

3. Is the vocabulary being used after study in writing and reading?

4. Did the vocabulary resource teach methods of decoding a word's meaning from the context or use of the word? Does the student learn to determine the meaning?

I've even looked at Vocabulary for the Gifted Student. It is a very ... critical-thinking approach. It would make a great supplement, but not a core.

I have not gotten a response on two particular posts about specific resources today. I chalk that up to summer too, but maybe I should be more general?

What do you have to say?:bigear:

We are enjoying MCT's literature program.

My son loves that the vocabulary words are defined at the bottom of the page and that certain passages are discussed in more detail - examples of alliteration and such are pulled out for parent/child discussion.

We read the books together and when we come to a vocab word, I read the sentence as written, then DS reads the vocab word, part of speech and definition. Then he re-reads the sentence with the definition/meaning subbing for the vocab word. Then I resume reading from the start of that sentence and continue on...

DS has always loved words, though. This program is right up his alley as it gives him a chance to talk about words every few minutes. :lol: (Though it is taking twice as long to get through a chapter than I thought it would. LOL.)

I'm doing a combo of English From the Roots Up and Calvin and Hobbes cartoons next year. I have coordinated 1 cartoon with 1 or 2 roots, and I'll have my 4th grader do basically what EFRU instructs, but use the cartoon as a springboard.

I've coordinated about half a year's words so far, but we don't get started till September.

I'm doing a combo of English From the Roots Up and Calvin and Hobbes cartoons next year. I have coordinated 1 cartoon with 1 or 2 roots, and I'll have my 4th grader do basically what EFRU instructs, but use the cartoon as a springboard.

I've coordinated about half a year's words so far, but we don't get started till September.

:w00t: I am supposed to be on a board break but I am :001_tt1: at the brilliance of this! Any chance you would be willing to share your plans or (if copyright is an issue) explain how you are going to do this (seriously, talk to me like I'm 5 :tongue_smilie:).

All great points - I address vocabulary with reading and spelling when we approach unknown words, but I found a few things too that led me to wonder how everyone does it without the traditional approach or with a twist. I just want you to keep telling me what you do that is not a WW-styled way. :D Not so much to ask is it? LOL

(Off to read the link to the thread above!)

:w00t: I am supposed to be on a board break but I am :001_tt1: at the brilliance of this! Any chance you would be willing to share your plans or (if copyright is an issue) explain how you are going to do this (seriously, talk to me like I'm 5 :tongue_smilie:).

Lemme flesh it out just a little bit more, and I'll pm you. I've put in a solid day of coordinating, but haven't finished typing out the exercises.

Thanks for the cheerleading! That should be the motivation I need to finish up working on it :D.

I just started the last few months of school, so hard to tell if it helping or not, but I found my daughter was not learning vocabulary from context well so I added in McGuffey's 4th reader, I had her read the vocab words before and after the reading selection. I am hoping that it will train her how to learn vocabulary from context on her own. She reads fast and it doesn't add much time to our day, so I will keep it up next year and see.

She actually scores well on the ITBS vocabulary section, but not as well as I would expect based on her reading.

I use Vocabulary from Classical Roots, but we also do vocabulary from our read alouds. Some of them are for our history curriculum and the teacher's guide tells which words to have the student define. If we do it before reading the book, we may not know which definition to use, so I find the passage (the guide tells what page and paragraph) and help them to write the correct definition.

My kids have really large vocabularies, and I think it has to do with the fact that they are avid readers and have encountered a huge variety of words, I do ask them if they know what a word means before they have to look it up, but sometimes it is best to know a precise definition rather than getting by with what they think the word means.

Edited by purplemama

I use vocabulary programs (i.e. workbooks). However, workbooks and vocabulary programs do not appear to be the best way to teach kids vocabulary. I read E.D. Hirsch's book recently entitled The Knowledge Deficit. If you are truly interested in how to improve your child's vocabulary and other things such as reading comprehension, I think this is a must read.

I am not an expert in this field, but from my understanding:

Essentially the research isn't conclusive on the best way to teach vocabulary, but it appears to be more implicitly learned rather than explicitly learned, as opposed to the way we learn most academic knowledge and skills. For example, hearing new words in the context of real life situations and experiencing the nuances of the meanings is one of the main ways we retain new vocabulary. Also, reading aloud to our children from books with high level language and explaining new words and sayings as we go is one of the more effective ways to teach children new vocabulary.

Unfortunately, improving our kids' vocabulary doesn't seem to be as easy as finding the best workbook program. Like I said, though, I do use workbooks and hope they will be of some good.

She actually scores well on the ITBS vocabulary section, but not as well as I would expect based on her reading.
Do you administer the test yourself? (Ie: Have you seen the test?)

I have administered the test twice now. DS scores well on vocab. But given his reading ability/comprehension and his speaking vocabulary, I would assume he would score 100 percent on the ITBS.

I have come to the conclusion that many of the ITBS vocabulary words are either "beneath" his radar (thus confusing him during the test) or are school-type words that he is unfamiliar with.

Two examples:

Maroon, as in the color. DS didn't have a clue that it was a color and only knew the word in context of being stranded. He could tell that the word was being used as an adjective and, after spending quite a bit of time on the question, ended up frustrated and moved on without answering it.

Auditorium. I would assume most public school children would know this word. I don't know that it has ever come up in our lives, even though we do take an art class that starts out in an auditorium. DS calls that room "theater" because they show a short art film before class starts.

A recent example - from a Spectrum test prep book:

Paste. DS selected "attach" as the correct answer, which I actually thought was correct until I graded the page. DS and I had both overlooked "glue," which was the correct answer.

I am seriously in love with the idea of using Calvin and Hobbes for a vocabulary program. :D

DS reads a number of comics in the paper and several times a week we end up in a deep conversation about a word or word usage.

I would also love to hear more about this! I am on a quest to eliminate workbooks wherever possible, and this idea sounds fabulous! :D

*waits with bated breath*

Lemme flesh it out just a little bit more, and I'll pm you. I've put in a solid day of coordinating, but haven't finished typing out the exercises.

Thanks for the cheerleading! That should be the motivation I need to finish up working on it.

In that case...

:party::party::party:

:D

I am not an expert in this field, but from my understanding:Essentially the research isn't conclusive on the best way to teach vocabulary, but it appears to be more implicitly learned rather than explicitly learned, as opposed to the way we learn most academic knowledge and skills. For example, hearing new words in the context of real life situations and experiencing the nuances of the meanings is one of the main ways we retain new vocabulary. Also, reading aloud to our children from books with high level language and explaining new words and sayings as we go is one of the more effective ways to teach children new vocabulary.

I actually believe this. I don't even need a vocabulary program but clicked on this thread because my DS9 and DD love vocabulary--super-duper adore vocabulary and...just...words and their meanings. :lol: I am considering doing more vocabulary for the same reason I bother with spelling, because they enjoy it. I am all about doing more of the subjects they enjoy.

*waits with bated breath*

:iagree::D

(but I'm in no particular hurry, so no real pressure :tongue_smilie:)

This really does sound like a great idea considering that both my ds and me love Calvin and Hobbes. I would love to know what you planned as well.

I am still waiting to hear back as are the others. :)

I have three resources that I feel could be used well 6th through 8th grades, where the vocabulary is conceptual or contextual.

Also, reading aloud to our children from books with high level language and explaining new words and sayings as we go is one of the more effective ways to teach children new vocabulary.

This struck me.

The main question - When should we stop reading aloud? Will it continue to improve vocabulary? I am speaking towards 10+ yo.

I am still waiting to hear back as are the others. :)

I have three resources that I feel could be used well 6th through 8th grades, where the vocabulary is conceptual or contextual.

This struck me.

The main question - When should we stop reading aloud? Will it continue to improve vocabulary? I am speaking towards 10+ yo.

I have no resource suggestions but as to the reading aloud, I don't ever plan to stop. I absolutely believe that it continues to improve vocabulary. Frankly, how could it not? I am even picking up new vocabulary reading aloud. I picked up a few gems just last week (from my kids' books :lol:).

Thanks for the cheerleading! That should be the motivation I need to finish up working on it :D.

Pretty please could I have it too?

My son taught himself to read using Calvin & I've crocheted him a Hobbes. I would LOVE to see what you've done.

I'll cheer you along too...

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Go, go, go.... :)

I am very interested in this topic too.

My kids seem to have picked up quite a lot from read alouds. I think several of their more esoteric words have been courtesy of a few months when they couldn't get enough of Lang's Red Fairy Book from Librivox. My daughter (5 at the time) was saying "thrice" regularly, and I virtually never do, so she wasn't picking that one up from me or any other family member. I am pretty sure it was from her Red Fairy Book phase.

Wow! I do remember "transmogrification" from C&H....

I bought two of the Scholastic workbooks (on Latin/Greek roots and prefixes/suffixes), and one on vocabulary (Vocabulary Word of the Day). They seemed cheap enough for me to experiment with, at $1 each (on sale). I also bought 50 Wonderful Word Games. I downloaded three books by Janet Angelillo that look promising, but none are about vocabulary, unfortunately.

I do think reading is a great way to improve vocabulary -- I enjoyed reading The Book Whisperer recently on how a 6th grader teacher uses reading extensively in her English class and her discussion of how it helps grammar and vocabulary more than canned exercises.