Menu

Anyone a measles vaccine non-responder?

I don't want a debate to start, so please cooperate, cyberfriends. :)

We have a family member who has had one single-vaccine dose of measles and one dose of the MMR. A recent titer showed no immunity to measles after these two vaccinations, despite immunity to mumps (she had it) and rubella. I read some things online and I'm wondering if she's a non-responder, and what, if anything, I should do about it, especially if she works in a health care setting.

Set a google alert for "measles outbreak" so you can know if there is a major cause for concern. Make sure she's aware of the symptoms, both what she'd see in herself and what she'd see in others. If reasonable (ie. if a co-worker can handle those cases), she could avoid caring for people with unknown rashes. She should make sure her work knows that she needs to know if she's been exposed.

If she is exposed, an immune globulin shot may prevent her from developing it, or help her have a more mild case if it does develop.

Keep in mind that chances are she will never be exposed, and that, while complications from measles can be severe, most people do come through it just fine.

I am a non-responder. I went to my doctor before I was planning to get pregnant with my second child. I had had a miscarriage and wanted to just have a check-up, etc. She tested me to see if I was immune and I wasn't. Got another dose (had had the typical childhood shots). Got pregnant a few months later and was tested again - still not immune. They gave me a shot right after I gave birth - like the world was going to end! Then I got pregnant 5 years later and was tested again - still not immune. My doctor said there was no point in giving me another dose because obviously it was not going to work on me.

I don't want a debate to start, so please cooperate, cyberfriends. :)

We have a family member who has had one single-vaccine dose of measles and one dose of the MMR. A recent titer showed no immunity to measles after these two vaccinations, despite immunity to mumps (she had it) and rubella. I read some things online and I'm wondering if she's a non-responder, and what, if anything, I should do about it, especially if she works in a health care setting.

I do not have the immunity to rubella. I was vaccinated on schedule (with booster schedule too), but the immunity did not take. I've never been tested for the measles or mumps immunity.

My doc just told me I should try again and get the MMR. I just haven't as of yet.

Otherwise, keep the immune system as healthy and strong as possible I guess.

I am a non-responder. I went to my doctor before I was planning to get pregnant with my second child. I had had a miscarriage and wanted to just have a check-up, etc. She tested me to see if I was immune and I wasn't. Got another dose (had had the typical childhood shots). Got pregnant a few months later and was tested again - still not immune. They gave me a shot right after I gave birth - like the world was going to end! Then I got pregnant 5 years later and was tested again - still not immune. My doctor said there was no point in giving me another dose because obviously it was not going to work on me.

Pretty much my story except no one gave up!:lol: I have been vaccinated at least 9 times. I also had the German Measles as a child -- not sure if that matters.

Ditto. No idea why.

During one of my pregnancies I was told I'd need an MMR after the birth. I didn't do it and was pregnant again in a year. I asked if my lack immunity showed up again and the doctor said that it showed I was immune. I'm thinking the tests are not that reliable. Worth checking in to.

This happened to me AND my 17yog... I had to have up to date immunizations and the doctor ran blood titer tests to check my immunity... it was discovered that being fully immunized, I had no immunity to mumps or hepatitis... my 17yog has had immunizations, on a delayed schedule, and has no immunity to hepatitis, either!

Pretty much my story except no one gave up!:lol: I have been vaccinated at least 9 times. I also had the German Measles as a child -- not sure if that matters.

I had the German measles as a child too. I have had to get a booster after each child since the titer shows no immunity.

I was given the MMR at 1, then I avoided it until college and had it at 18 with the booster at 20. They found while I was pregnant with ds that I was not immune to Rubella, so after his birth I was given a rubella only vaccination.I am still not immune. I think sometimes it just happens. Our bodies are all so different.

I was vaccinated for rubella at ages 1, 8, 12, 18, and 28, had it at age 2, and still don't come up as immune on the titre. :001_huh:

Conversely, I am immune to something I never even had...chicken pox!

Go figure. I wonder what the effect on the body is of repeated immunizations for the same thing. I'm pretty sure the tests to measure this are completely unreliable. Or perhaps people show immunity at some times and not at others, depending one what is going on in the body. I remember reading something about natural immunity being present but not showing up as measurable until it is actually fighting off the infection.