Menu

What apps (for iphone) do you use everyday?

My disconnect to modern technology is so vast, that I don't even know what I don't know to ask about what I need to know.

Sweet hubby gifted me with iphone (4s), and I am trying to see what else to do with it besides make phone calls - which I rarely do, and navigate - which I LOVE. I'm getting the hang of texting and finding it moderately helpful.

So what apps (not games) do you have on your phone that you just couldn't live without?

Thanks to a recommendation on here...the 5K Runner app - it talks you through the Couch to 5K program...I wouldn't be doing it without the app!!

I also love the level app, the conversion app (I always have to convert F to C when cooking).

For me, the best part about the iphone are the podcasts - it took me forever to figure it out but when I did it was like a whole new world opening up!! I listen to podcasts all day long. My kids love the history ones.

Have fun (and get a few games too!)

I like the Kindle app, Audible, tuner (for tuning my kids' string instruments), Facebook, the iAllowance (tracks all my kids' allowance), iBooks, Netflix, local newspaper, dictionary, Flixster (to see what movies are playing nearby and read reviews and watch trailers), Meetup, Starbucks, Highway Cam (not something I use everyday, but definitely useful), Focus on the Family Plugged In (movie reviews).

Gas Buddy is something I don't use everyday, but do use often.

I use Things, HomeRoutines, and Cozi (we have a shared family password) daily. Let's see - facebook, The Weather Channel, an app from one of my local news stations, Goodreads, Crop n' Post for uploading photos to facebook. My bank has an app that I use occasionally. There's a word game called Bookworm (it's been around online for years) that I like to play when I have some time to waste. Oh, and I have This American Life from NPR. I listen to the shows from that one around the house, because it does have to go online, and I don't want to use data to listen. Even though my Kindle goes almost everywhere with me, I have a Kindle app for unexpected wait times when I didn't bring my Kindle. In fact, I used the app before I even got a Kindle.

I think that's it. I have a ton of apps, but the ones I listed above are the ones that get the most use. Not everyone will find the same apps useful. Every now and then I go to the app store from my computer and browse the categories.

Card Star

Grocery IQ

Facebook (sadly)

Weather Channel

local news station

Notes Plus

Dropbox

Print n Share

Urban Spoon

iPeriod

You Bible

Amazon price checker

Michaels (for coupons)

American Airlines, Delta, Southwest flight status apps

I also find the Target, Walgreens & Office Max apps useful, but I don't use them frequently.

Dictionary.com--I use it way more than I would ever have expected (and it was free).

If your kids are in sports, there are apps for keeping up with times or scores. My swim app is invaluable.

The Starbucks app will direct you to the nearest Starbucks. Cracker Barrel also.

Weather Channel app for hour by hour forecasts.

Terri

Edited by plansrme
Stupid auto-correct.

Evernote

Gasbuddy

Pandora

Pinterest

Netflix

Facebook

eBay

Google Maps

Profit Bandit

Amazon Price Check

You Need a Budget (love this for entering spending info. on the go. Sycs with my computer when I get home>)

Edited by ThelmaLou

My list seems different from everyone else. I don't use my iPhone daily and it only has 8g of space on it.

1) I play music on my iPhone through the car speakers

2) FourSquare - my breadcrumbs of what I am doing where. It's easy and fun and if I ever go missing the police will know where I went in a day ; )

3) The Weather Channel - way more information than what is offered on the pre-installed app. I need radar outlooks and TWC gives it to me. Normally I would look at the website but their website is hard to navigate on the iPhone.

4) Google Search - better than Safari for me

5) Groove 2 Music - does better mixes than iTunes BUT I only use it at home because I don't have unlimited data.

6)Pimp Your Screen - gives you lots of choices in wallpapers for your iPhone background. I don't change the background daily, but often enough that I bought the app.

After that would be games - Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies.

If you go to the front page here and go down to tags you'll see a tag labeled iOS apps - that links to all the posts like this about apps for iPhone/iPad/iTouch/iPods : D

For me, the best part about the iphone are the podcasts - it took me forever to figure it out but when I did it was like a whole new world opening up!! I listen to podcasts all day long. My kids love the history ones.

Have fun (and get a few games too!)

Oh wow - I absolutely didn't know the phone could do that!

If you go to the front page here and go down to tags you'll see a tag labeled iOS apps - that links to all the posts like this about apps for iPhone/iPad/iTouch/iPods : D

Thanks! I will do that too! ETA - oh my there are 6 pages worth! Before posting this question, I did a search but found only a few threads, wonder why.

Very grateful to everyone who listed their favorites. I'm excited to investigate them.

When a downloaded app does a similar function as one which is standard on the phone, like note taking, calendar, maps, what do you do with the existing tile?

Edited by bookfiend

I use Grocery IQ (but only for grocery shopping),

reminders (ALL the time because I forget everything),

calendar (synced to google calendar because I forget everything),

maps (works great to type in where you're heading to and then you can see yourself as a blue dot and where you're trying to get to as a red dot - fantastic for finding new places)

amazon (to check prices)

iheartradio (I listen to kase101 - a country music station)

And I play Beghouled - a minigame in Plants vs. Zombies.

Paperless for lists

Daily Notes for longer info and journaling (only for ipad)

Home Routines for routines and housecleaning

Index Card for homeschool assignments and records (only for ipad)

Pdf expert or Notabilty for importing pdfs that I want to write directly on

1000 Gifts for thanksgiving list

Fighter Verses for Scripture Memory

Star Walk to explore the night sky

Flixter is great for movie reviews and theater times

Netflix

Tomtom gps

Docusign ink

Good reader

Notability

Ewallet

Securezip

Logmein ignition (free and excellent security to get on your pc)

Google voice

Okay...now for the big wow moment. I cancelled my overly priced iPhone and got an iPad with a $15 3G data plan. I pay $3 for Skype to get unlimited phone calls to the us and Canada. I ported my AT&T cell phone number to google voice for 20 bucks. I also signed up for talkatone yearly plan at 19 bucks. I am trying out both Skype and Talkatone to see which works best for me. I am liking talkatone since I can use my bluetooth on it with my iPad and I can't do that with the Skype iPad app.

If you have more than three bars or have access to wifi, then you are an excellent candidate to ditch your expensive iPhone and save hundreds of bucks a year by just using a tablet. need more info? I will be happy to share my experiences.

As a guy, I was concerned about the coolness factor of carrying around a man purse but I found this really amazing sling bag made by Kensington. It sold for less than 15 bucks on amazon and it's really durable. Not only that, it's functional and looks great on a guy. It has adjustable Velcro so your height is not an issue.

MyRadar Pro, more often during tornado season, but interesting and helpful whenever storms are on the way.

Notes. I keep my grocery list on there, now my 10 year old helps keep it updated when we run out of things that just the kids eat, that is helpful.

I also use it as my alarm clock and I have an alarm reminder for things like tennis and art lessons.

Notes - grocery lists, etc

iCal - keep mine & dc's schedules

Kindle

LoseIt (12 lbs so far!)

RunKeeper (also for walking & biking)

iPieta - daily readings

eeba - envelope budgeting

Local News Station app - mostly for weather/radar

Okay...now for the big wow moment. I cancelled my overly priced iPhone and got an iPad with a $15 3G data plan. I pay $3 for Skype to get unlimited phone calls to the us and Canada. I ported my AT&T cell phone number to google voice for 20 bucks. I also signed up for talkatone yearly plan at 19 bucks. I am trying out both Skype and Talkatone to see which works best for me. I am liking talkatone since I can use my bluetooth on it with my iPad and I can't do that with the Skype iPad app.

If you have more than three bars or have access to wifi, then you are an excellent candidate to ditch your expensive iPhone and save hundreds of bucks a year by just using a tablet. need more info? I will be happy to share my experiences.

As a guy, I was concerned about the coolness factor of carrying around a man purse but I found this really amazing sling bag made by Kensington. It sold for less than 15 bucks on amazon and it's really durable. Not only that, it's functional and looks great on a guy. It has adjustable Velcro so your height is not an issue.

I'm going to have to ask my DH about this. How do you talk to someone on the ipad as a phone since I'm guessing there isn't a microphone on there?

There is a speaker and microphone on the iPad. The quality of the call is excellent on Skype. The great thing about Skype calls is that the service is ubiquitous...I can use Skype anywhere...so if I drop my phone in the lake, I can still use any smartphone, tablet or PC and make the call. With Googlevoice, I get FREE UNLIMITED texts. Now that's cool.

What does the D mean? Like DH or DS? I'm guessing "darling" but that's not a word my wife calls me :lol:

There is a speaker and microphone on the iPad. The quality of the call is excellent on Skype. The great thing about Skype calls is that the service is ubiquitous...I can use Skype anywhere...so if I drop my phone in the lake, I can still use any smartphone, tablet or PC and make the call. With Googlevoice, I get FREE UNLIMITED texts. Now that's cool.

What does the D mean? Like DH or DS? I'm guessing "darling" but that's not a word my wife calls me :lol:

Yes, it means darling or dear. You will also see it in front of s(son) sd(step-daughter). You get the idea. There is a rule against spouse bashing on this board, so we wouldn't ever use the other word. :D Consider starting a thread to introduce yourself on the general board. There are a few other homeschool Dads who post frequently. We would all welcome another voice. And thank you for your patient explainations.