Menu

My dog can't fly?

I just want to double-check to see if anyone knows information other than what I was able to find.

I believe I am correct in stating:

1. Dogs ears must be a full inch under the top of the crate.

2. This means my dog needs NOT a size 500 but a 700.

3. Dogs over 100lbs (inc. crate) need to fly cargo. (Legend would be about 90 plus a 30 lb. crate.)

4. You can only take those dogs to specific airlines because of the size.

5. You can't "ship" them during summer months.

6. Delta has a Live Animal program that DOES ship in the summer months, however, not to Minneapolis.

In other words, my dog must be driven to the Midwest? Is this correct? I'm okay with it, but we want to make sure that we are correct in saying he CAN'T fly in June or July.

I spent the morning researched so I'd love to come across someone who has BTDT.

Shipping in the summer months is risky. Each airline has their own different rules (though some are the same) so I'd call each one to check. Personally, I'd drive with the dog. We've done it a number of timeswith multiple pets at at time. We just took pitstops more often and the kids were always thankful for that. Also, since your dog is so large, the airlines will be very reluctant to open the cage to take him out for a walk.

Personally, I'd drive with the dog.

Most likely this is what we're doing. I'm adjusting to the idea of a cross country trip with one 100lb dog, one husband, two teens, five young children, and two children ages two and under. Slowly, but I'm getting there. :D I just want to be sure I have all my options!

That sounds about right to me, but I've only searched United as that's who we fly. The summer month restriction is because the dog can overheat, and the airline doesn't want to be liable.

I've found that each airline usually has a section detailing the rules on their website, but it sounds like you've done your research and yes, you'll have to drive your dog.

I am so glad that I finally opened this thread because I couldn't for the life of me figure out why someone would be perplexed that their dog could not fly (you know Wonder Dog style). :tongue_smilie:

But if he could it would sure solve a lot of hassle for me right now.

I am so glad that I finally opened this thread because I couldn't for the life of me figure out why someone would be perplexed that their dog could not fly (you know Wonder Dog style). :tongue_smilie:

Yes, me too. Considering I was looking for black dragon wings for my dog today online, it fit my current mindset. Yes, I want wings for my dog then she would look like the dragon from How to train your dragon. We could do that tail thing too.

I wouldn't chance it. Even if the airline assures you that the cargo area is climate-controlled and pressurized, there's still the risk that he'd be sitting on the tarmac for an extended period if the flight is delayed, etc. Regulation crates for live cargo are not well-ventilated, and the small amount of water allowed never lasts.

I'm not ant-flying; I've shipped puppies from Europe and from our breeder who is six hours north of Vancouver, BC. I just don't do it in the warm months.

astrid