Menu

where do you put all of your books and supplies...

if you don't have a space set aside for school stuff? If you tell me you put your books on a bookshelf....please tell me where that bookshelf lives. I am not just talking about school books...but also reference books, story books, chapter books...then just all of the other supplies that come with teaching school....crafty stuff, your teacher books, science equipment etc.

thanks.

You mean if you don't have a "school room"?

Curricula, reference books, and supplies in frequent use in a bookshelf next to the dining table.

Books not currently in use or used less frequently in our "library" which is bookshelves in the home office. Kids (and adults) also have bookshelves in their bedrooms for their own book collections.

Craft stuff, science equipment, and other school supplies used less often are on utility shelves in the laundry room.

Games and kits like snapcircuits in cabinets in the living room entertainment center.

Homeschooling stuff is really just everywhere, whereever it seems like it works. I guess you could say we live learning. :)

We've moved 4 times in 18mos. The first move was from our 2000 sq ft house (where we didn't homeschool) to a 900 sq ft apartment.

We homeschooled around the table and this is a link to what our storage looked like. We then moved to a 1200 sq foot poorly laid out town house and I stored our homeschooling supplies in a hutch, closet, and coffee table/Hope chest.

We now live in a 1400 sq ft house with a small but very nice family room that we also use as our homeschooling space.

I store chapter/reading books in each kids room in bins or baskets on shelves. They have one basket that is where their library books are suppose to go... Notice I said suppose to.:001_huh:

We have most of our books and craft supplies on shelves in our dining room as well as the computer and printer. There's one shelf with our two sets of encyclopedias that wouldn't fit in the dining room that has gone into the living room.

I have an open floor plan, hate clutter, and do not want my living space looking like a schoolroom. I have a small 4 slot shelf in the corner of the dining room where I keep current curriculum we are using and the bottom shelf houses blank paper. I have a built in cabinet on the other side of the dining room where we keep manipulatives and games and there are 2 drawers there that house pens/pencils and flashcards. I have another built in shelf at the end of my kitchen counter where current read alouds, readers, and all of our bibles and bible study books are. We keep all our markers/crayons/colored pencils in a utility caddy in a livingroom closet along with coloring books/puzzle books/etc.

Everything else is in totes or on shelves in my unfinished basement. I have an art tote, completed work tote, supply tote, and future curriculum tote. I have reference books and future read alouds and chapter books on a shelf.

We have stuff everywhere but it is pretty much all hidden except for the one shelf of current curriculum in my dining room and I have been keeping my eye out for something with a door on it :)

Our school books are in 6 drawer wheeled carts in my living room. I keep our basic supplies in the file cabinet that also holds our bills.

The books we are not currently using, art and craft supplies are all down in the basement on bookshelves.

I would like to eventually get some sort of IKEA drawer type system for our arts & crafts supplies. That way they could be sorted better and easier to access and won't look as cluttered.

:001_smile:

We've moved 4 times in 18mos. The first move was from our 2000 sq ft house (where we didn't homeschool) to a 900 sq ft apartment.

We homeschooled around the table and this is a link to what our storage looked like. We then moved to a 1200 sq foot poorly laid out town house and I stored our homeschooling supplies in a hutch, closet, and coffee table/Hope chest.

We now live in a 1400 sq ft house with a small but very nice family room that we also use as our homeschooling space.

I store chapter/reading books in each kids room in bins or baskets on shelves. They have one basket that is where their library books are suppose to go... Notice I said suppose to.:001_huh:

OT-Loved your canning picture on your blog! LOL! I just finished canning tomatoes and pickles, blueberries are on the schedule for tomorrow. ;)

You need to have a space set aside for school stuff. We don't have a school room but one corner of the living room is the school area. We have shelves with bins on them, two bookshelves and some more bins. School has kind of taken over the area. My wall maps are hanging in the living room and my time line and wipe off board is hanging in the dining room. But oh well. It's just for a season...

I like your blog name. My kids often call me Mumsy. :)

Our dining room doubles as a small library/ school room. On one wall we have two tall bookshelves.

Shelves from top to bottom of #1:

+Not being used text books/manuals/Answer keys

+Teaching aids- handbooks, foreign language dictionaries, thesauruses, etc.

+History readers of all kinds

+Biographies hard back

+Biographies paperback

+Tall books (history and historical fiction) that won't fit on the other shelves

Bookshelf #2 top to bottom:

+Games and puzzles that are frequently used by the youngest

+Religion and Gardening, because they go together. :-)

+Science readers of all kinds

+Encyclopedia set

drawer-supplies paper, scissors, glue, markers, rulers, folders, etc.

drawer-school books currently in use by one child

drawer-school books currently in use by another child.

The microscope and science kits are on top of the book cases. Next to them is a desk with more supplies and craft stuff. There is a china cabinet on the opposite wall which has hard back fiction books in the display case and more text books/manuals and math manipulatives stored in the bottom doors. There is one more smaller book case which is filled with paperback fiction books. I try to keep school stuff confined to this area, but sometimes there are also stacks of books on the floor. If there is overflow I try to purge. Each child also has a personal bookcase in his room.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Right now, it's kind of all over. I have bookshelves in the dining room and the laundry room (which is where my desk and computer are). There is also a shelf in the living room with a few school things on it. Science supplies and things like pencils are stuck in the built in buffet in the dining room. I have our white board hanging on the door in between the dining and laundry room.

Bookshelves all over the house: Ancients through Medieval have taken over the official library; American history in the family room; 20th century to current events in the sitting room; science and misc. home repair/geography/gardening in the mudroom; health and reference in the upstairs hall; teacher's inspiration, foreign language and most of the math in the hall to the laundry room; other curriculum guides, art and music are in my office. School supplies in the Hoosier in the family room. We have a book box (old toy box) where they keep their cloth bags full of school books and another three-stack of bins for their binders. My highschooler has a bin in his room for his books. Whew!

Edited by nykatie

Bookshelf in living room: books for current year, not necessarily in use; math readers; history favorites; reference books; current teacher guides etc.

Cabinet under bookshelf in living room: educational games.

Secretary type desk in living room: folders containing daily work; books used by dc daily; current read alouds.

Drawers below desk: 1 drawer devoted to language arts extras and manipulatives; 1 drawer devoted to science manips and extra supplies; 1 drawer devoted to math manias and extra supplies.

Cabinet at top of corner cabinet: my supplies only (safely out of reach of dc).

Cabinet at bottom of corner cabinet: building type toys - Snap Circuits, robot kits, etc.

Kitchen: 1 Ikea Trofast unit filled with art supplies in labelled bins, under desk area; on top of desk, small Trofast unit for keeping pens, markers, crayons, etc; on top of that, a cubby type organizer for containing construction paper (sorted by color); 1 Ikea Trofast unit which we used to use for workboxes - now in transition to containing science supplies. On top of that is our AAS board and a globe.

Cabinet above desk area in kitchen contains more of my supplies or supplies for DC that might require adult supervision.

Hallway bookcases in family area: books and curriculum that is waiting in the wings to be used later; more reference books.

DC's bookshelf in room: books, books, books.

Oh, and behind the armoire where we keep the TV etc, I have a large cardboard folding "center" where I store laminated posters etc, although I usually forget to use these at appropriate times. :)

Anything we've already used but are saving for the next kiddo gets stored at the top of a closet. All else, I give to our local freecycle group, which is full of homeschoolers.

My current-year school stuff is all in a large hutch in my dining room. We do school at the dining room table. That's also where the family computer is.

It has plenty of room for everything.

The stuff I'm not currently using is boxed up in the basement and getting that organized is one of my summer projects. I need to really go through it and decide what to keep and what to sell / give away.

• 1 month later...

Our schooling is done in our rather large kitchen. We have an L-shaped bench with a rectangular table. The school books are all in a bin in the corner of the L. Well, and stacked on either side of the bin.... I have a 3 shelf, narrow bookcase that stores our supplies, completed school work binders, and reference books (dictionary, etc.). When we have company or a party, it's pretty easy for me to pick up the school books and put them in another room. The bookshelf and its contents stay put.

We do have other reference-type books spread out throughout the house, but I pretty much know where everything is.

Ds's books are on bookshelves in a downstairs bedroom-turned-music-room. DD keeps most of her books in her room on bookshelves.

Most that we're not currently using are on bookshelves in the basement. I have an armoire where I keep bins of school supplies, which I'm adding to weekly after hitting great sales.

None of it matters, though, because I know that this exists. :drool:

We don't have a "school room" but I have a big walk-in pantry in the basement - 2 shelves are dedicated to TOG teacher manuals and history-related books (ones that probably no one would read for fun ;)). There is also a cabinet in there with shelves that hold grammar, math, science, logic, and misc. texts and paper supplies.

We have an end table in the living room with storage space and that's where I keep "currently or soon-to-be used books for school". There's a big bin next to the sofa where we keep library books.

Our other books are just on one of the several bookshelves in the bonus room or in the living room bookshelf or in the kids' rooms.