Menu

Cough update (long)

First let me say that I'm calling the doctor tomorrow.

Anyway, some of you might remember that I've been fighting a cough that started in March. I went to the doctor two weeks ago for it because I also developed a low grade fever, high pulse, and high blood pressure. She put me on antibiotics because we thought it might be a lung infection since the cough started around the time I had aspirated some food.

The antibiotics did nothing. However, I started having more heartburn recently and had some generic OTC Pepsid AC on hand, so I started taking that once I was done with the antibiotics (couldn't mix the two). Since then, I've discovered:

The Pepsid AC absolutely helps the cough.

The cough is worst after a meal, especially a big or heavy one.

The low grade fever and feeling exhausted (and sometimes the elevated pulse) continues to come and go every few days. I think it is related to how busy I am.

The discomfort I thought was in my lungs is actually in the center of my chest and includes the feeling of something being stuck in my throat. At times, it seems I can feel the entire length of my esophagous. The sensation that something is stuck in my throat has been with me most of the day today. But the pain when breathing has gotten better with the Pepsid.

One OTC Pepsid a day is not quite enough. It seems that an bigger meal overrides it and if meals are ok, it wears off in about 20 hours and I start coughing really bad again (and vomitting sometimes). Pepsid will mostly stop the cough within about an hour. Cough drops help during that hour.

As I've been thinking about this, I've thought about my history. I've had symptoms of reflux-type symptoms for a very long time, but never bad enough to raise concerns or lead me to seek help for it. When pregnant, for example, I get really bad heartburn. I'm sometimes awoken by sudden reflux of a mouthful of liquid. Since it was only during pregnancy, I thought it was just normal pregnancy stuff and dealt with it.

I get occasional heartburn. Once in a great while, I do reflux liquid and food. It's mild enough and rare enough that I never thought twice about it.

I occasionally wake up feeling like I'm extremely hungry but nauseous with crackling sounds in my throat. I mentioned it here once and a few people mentioned reflux.

I've had an increasingly difficult time swallowing pills over the last few years. At first it was just larger pills feeling like they got stuck. More recently, smaller pills (BC size) have been giving me the same sensation. I just eat a bite of something from the cupboard to push it down and never thought anything of it.

Anyway, that's what I've learned and have been thinking about.

I'm changing my diet immediately to include a lot more produce and a lot less fat/sugar/dairy. I'm also going to start exercising in some way or another...even if it is just a short walk. I will be losing this extra weight.

I've read enough to know that I can do things to help myself and enough to be worried about potential serious conditions. A couple people in my life sometimes tell me I'm a hypochondriac or that I'm trying to convince myself I have xyz problem so I'm not sharing IRL about this (please don't share IRL or on FB) unless the doctor finds something to be worried about. It's mostly because of these people that I've learned to ignore or make light of medical problems and not seek medical attention. I'm refusing to listen to those voices in my head on this one any more.

Thanks for reading/listening. I welcome any encouraging comments only.

Google magnesium deficiency. And yes, I know that I'm giving this as an answer to everything nowadays. But I was having esophageal spasms that were relieved by magnesium. It might not be the entire answer for you (or even a paretial answer - though it is worth exploring) but I'm willing to bet that it might help at least some. :grouphug: I hope you find some answers and help soon.

When I had the stuck in my throat feeling I ended up on 30mg Previcid 2x a day. So I can understand why the OTC meds don't seem to be enough.

If you have to have a barium swallow test in order to rule out anything other than reflux, bring something to get the taste out of your mouth after the test.

:grouphug:

Google magnesium deficiency. And yes, I know that I'm giving this as an answer to everything nowadays. But I was having esophageal spasms that were relieved by magnesium. It might not be the entire answer for you (or even a paretial answer - though it is worth exploring) but I'm willing to bet that it might help at least some. :grouphug: I hope you find some answers and help soon.

:iagree:

I kept having symptoms similar to yours and finally got a multivitamin stuck for hours. It caused a small ulcer in my esophagus which necessitated a scope. I was sent home but 2 days later the esophageal spasms sent me back to the ER with heart attack symptoms - major chest pain, jaw pain, inability to swallow.

Thankfully it was just esophageal spasms, but I was scared to eat. Finally my mom had me try Natural Calm (a powdered magnesium that you take in warm water) That was the only thing that helped. I now take magnesium every night. If I don't, I know it within an hour or two of going to sleep.

As I've been thinking about this, I've thought about my history. I've had symptoms of reflux-type symptoms for a very long time, but never bad enough to raise concerns or lead me to seek help for it.

I've had an increasingly difficult time swallowing pills over the last few years.

This most certainly sounds like reflux. The above argues for nothing terribly scary (cancer), plus you don't drink and smoke.

Usually to get a raw esophagus to heal a PPI (like generic prilosec) is needed for weeks or months. 6 weeks to get rid of the cough alone is common. The Kirkland formula works fine, and there is a 3$ off coupon out there right now, if you know someone who belongs to Costco.

I have to pack for the boys and get up pre-dawn, but PM me if you have more questions.

Kay

I want to just add one thing...if the PPIs don't help, you may be dealing with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I'm only mentioning it because of the food-stuck-in-your-throat feeling, non-specific low grade fever, and especially the increased difficulty in swallowing pills. Those are also symptoms of EE. Since EE is relatively rare, it's not always something checked for.

Hope you get better super fast! :grouphug:

Two thoughts:

The aspirated food probably didn't cause the cough, but like the cough, was a symptom of reflux.

Also, chronic reflux can lead to esophageal cancer over time. It's preventable, so please take care of yourself.

I'm definitely taking care of it. I have another appointment tomorrow and will bring the other suggestions mentioned with me. The generic pepsid AC I've been taking helps some. Today has been bad again in terms of coughing.

I'm changing diet and making exercise a priority somehow.

Two thoughts:

The aspirated food probably didn't cause the cough, but like the cough, was a symptom of reflux.

Also, chronic reflux can lead to esophageal cancer over time. It's preventable, so please take care of yourself.

:iagree: It's called Barrett's esophagus -- a rare side effect to acid refux. Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

Saw doctor today. She did blood tests for h.pylori and a blood count. She is putting me on Prilosec for two months. After that if symptoms return, we'll do an endoscopy.

I didn't get a chance to ask her what she thinks is causing the on again off again low grade fever, which is back again today.